THE BETRAYAL

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

1 comment

Black Christian Friendship

Goretti Girls High School was the most talked about girls high school in Akwa Ibom state. The school had raised its standard to the level that parents from the neighbouring states had to send their children to the school. There was even a saying that if your daughter is not attending Goretti Girls High School, that you don't plan well for her.

Their quality curriculum and their well cultured staff were the reasons for their fame. They were known for quality education and their ability to produce well behaved girls in the society. Even the most prominent people in the state send their daughters to Goretti Girls High School.

Patience and Joyce were also the students of GGHS. Everyone in the school knew these girls. They were always seen together and none of them seemed to do anything without the other. Most of the people even assumed that they were siblings and some even thought they were cousins. But the truth was that these girls were not related in any way. They were just two strangers who met themselves in school and started to love each other. Patience was such a quiet person. She believed that people should not always react to the negativity thrown at them. Her motto was simple; "People who insult you wants you to act without thinking. Disappoint them and never react"

She was widely known for her gentleness and her quiet nature. Joyce on the other hand, was the exact opposite of Patience. She was so lousy and shouty. She doesn't take any nonsense from anybody. She regarded herself so highly that she couldn't bear to be insulted by anybody. She once talked back at a teacher just because the teacher made fun of her in class.

How these two people with two different personalities were so close to each other and even made the best of friends remained a mystery to everyone in the school. No matter how angry or provoked Joyce may be, once Patience asks her to calm down, she will definitely calm down and explain everything to her friend.

The always defended each other in their absence and always stood up and supported each other no matter what the case may be.

On one fateful Tuesday, while they were in SS2, they had an English test and it happened that Joyce wasn't in school that day due to the fact that she was very ill. "Please Sir, my friend is absent today because she's so sick. Please can I write the test for her or will you allow her to write the test again when she's ok"? Patience muttered after she had raised up her hand and after the teacher had given her a go-ahead to talk. "Let her come and speak for herself whenever she's ok" the teacher answered.

This Patience's attitude was just one of the ways to show her concern about her friend. She had done several other things out of the love she had for her friend.

On one accassion, she had used her provision money to pay for Joyce's computer manual. On another occasion, she had even manage to write an exam for her when she was absent from school.

These two friends were known by almost everyone in the school and no one could boldly talk bad about one of them in the presence of the other. Their bond was so tight that if one of them is absent from school, it will be evident in the other's mood through out the day.

One Friday morning, while they were in class, the compound master entered and decided to punish everyone who didn't participate in the last compound work. Patience was one of the defaulters. She had stayed back from school that day because her younger sister was so sick and despite her excuses, the compound master still insisted that she must be punished. The punishment was twice the amount of work each student did on the actual compound work day. While the defaulters were being punished, the other students were to stay back in class and enjoy their lectures. But instead of Joyce to stay back in the comfort of the classroom, she decided to sneak out to help her friend with her portion of the work.

During the first term of their SS3, something happened. It was tune for school fees and as you know, all the students were not able to pay on the same day. Joyce was one the students who had delayed to pay her fees because her dad had just been sacked. Her only hope was her mom who wasn't so financially string and stable. She didn't really have money due to the fact that she was taking care of some other things in the house. "This is all the money in this house and only God knows how I manage to gather it. Please make sure you pay as soon as you get to school. I don't want to hear stories" her mom said holding her ear to show seriousness as she handed the money to Joyce. "Thank you very much mummy, I will pay as soon as I get to school" Joyce said as she bowed her knee to show appreciation.

When she arrived her school that morning, she rushed to the VP's office to pay her fees but unfortunately, the VP wasn't in school yet and she had no other option than to keep the money until he comes. She put the money in one part of her school bag, put the bag inside her locker and lock it.

It was when she was returning from the canteen with Patience that she noticed that the VP has just arrived. She rushed to the class to get the money so that she can pay right away. When she opened her bag to remove the money, she experienced the greatest shock of her life. Behold the money wasn't there. She turned the bag upside down and search but all to no avail. At this moment, she needed no one to tell her that the money was stolen. "But I locked this locker, how did the person unlock it and lock it back without my knowledge" she shouted in despair. Other students started to gather to hear what had happened and what was the cause of the shout they heard. She rushed to the compound master and reported it to him. The compound master followed her right away to their class to help her find the money.

"Everyone should sit on their desk and no one should move an inch" Mr Idara, the compound master ordered as he started to search everyone. He searched and searched but no money was found. He then send Joyce to go and call a Miss Gladys so that she could search them even into their undies just to make sure that the money was found.

When Miss Gladys arrive the class, she was informed by Mr Idara about the missing money. He also ask her to help search all the students "Search them even to their undies" Mr Idara ordered. Miss Gladys searched all the students but the money wasn't still found. In annoyance, Mr Idara decided to punish all the students.

Joyce was so sad following the events of the missing money. "This is all the money in this house and only God knows how I manage to gather them. Please make sure that you pay as soon as you get to school. I dont want to hear stories" her mom's stern warning kept resounding in her head. She was so heartbroken and sad. She couldn't even concentrate in class and tears was just flowing uncontrollably from her eyes.

She looked so pitiful that Miss Gladys decided to pay for her. "Thank you so much Ma'am! May God bless you for me and may the person that stole my money never know peace" she uttered in deep appreciation.

Months has passed but the event of the missing money still remained fresh in her mind. She couldn't even tell her parents about it because she didn't want them to get angry with her and accusse her of being careless.

Finally, Patience and Joyce were in SS3 and their final examination was fast approaching. Everywhere in the school, students were seen in groups of fours and threes studying and doing revision among theme. The deadline for the payment of the examination fees was just two days away and the penalty for not paying was nothing but to not write the exams that year. Joyce had paid her own but Patience hasn't paid because she had just lost her dad and her mom was still contemplating whether she would have to wait till the next year to write her SSCE because the examination fees was presently unavailable. This affected her seriously because that will be a delay in her plans and she wouldn't graduate alongside with her mates.

When Joyce heard about this, she felt very sad for her and vowed to do all she could to help her friend.

On the deadline for the payment of the examination fees, Joyce had made some savings from her provision money and though the money wasn't big enough, she had consulted Mr. Idara and told him about her friend's predicament and requested that he lend a helping hand. Mr Idara had agreed to help her and she was very happy. Patience was just sitting inside the class and contemplating how she would had to wait till the following year to wirte her exams, when Joyce shouted her name. "Let's go the VP's office" she said and dragged her friend to come along. When they got to the office, Joyce said "Sir my friend has come to pay her for her examination fees" and while Patience was still shocked and confused, she removed the money from her small purse and handed it to the VP.

It was after they got to the class, that Joyce informed Patience about her she got the money. Joyce was still talking when Patience broke into tears. Everyone thought it was tears of joy, but it wasn't. Her conscience had just blamed her and she quickly confessed "I was the one that stole your money. I didn't know that you could be this good to me. Please am very sorry"

Joyce had handed over her keys to her friend when she went out to ease herself and her so called friend ceased that opportunity to steal the money. Joyce could not even imagine that Patience could be the one to steal her money, so she couldn't even harbour the thought of suspecting her.

Deeply disappointed, Joyce shouted "Patience! You of all people? How could you?"

She kept her cool and walked out of the class and vowed never to trust nor get so close to anyone again in her life.

May 06, 2021 08:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Bonnie Clarkson
14:12 May 11, 2021

I liked the plot and the development of the friendship of the characters. I liked Joyce turning the bag upside down. I wished she had shook it. I would like to have seen a little more showing and a little less telling. For example, what body language did she have when her money was stolen? I think you have potential as a writer. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.