0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction

Satish and Vidya were having their evening cup of tea on the terrace of their small little bungalow. The inclined rays of the setting sun were spreading golden twilight on the entire western sky. The bright evening planet, Venus was shining beautifully.

“ Already, the air pollution is causing innumerable diseases. The moving vehicle exhausts vitiate the environment so much that we can hardly see clear blue skies. As a result, star gazing in the clear night sky, is becoming a rare occasion these days.” Satish said sipping hot tea.

A busker going on the road was singing a philosophical song playing ‘ek taari’ supporting his high pitch singing.

THE EARTH CONTINUES TO ROTATE

THE SKY MOVES ON

DON’T KNOW WHOSE COMMANDS

THIS WORLD IS FOLLOWING

THE GLOBE IS SAILING ON

BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHO IS THE SAILOR

NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE WORLD

IS HEADING

THE KNIT OF HOPE AND DESPAIR

IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE

THE MIX OF DAY AND NIGHT IS

UNFATHOMABLE

When the voice of busker got very low, as he went away from that area, Satish and Vidya were lost in thoughts of mysterious nature of this world.

 

 

On December 15th of 2019, the space shuttle team gathered for a final meeting of the astronauts for the briefing about the mission.

“Yes, my brave team members, here is the plan.This team of four is going to take off on 25th December midnight. The space shuttle will be heading straight for the ISS (international Space station) and after orbiting for two days it will dock with the ISS.

The new team will take charge from the earlier team and within two days the old team will start their journey homewards.

The new team, please keep in mind that this trip of yours is not just a simple one to carry out some experiments

We are going to observe the human behavioral changes, psychological effects on being in space without any support or back-up from earth for two years. Once you take charge and the old team starts their return journey, your entire communication channels will be cut off. You will not be able to contact the earth in any situation whatsoever, whether the space station gets set on fire or your oxygen supply gets over or any other calamity; you will be on your own. We have provided you with all the protective gadgets, we have trained you on how to handle adverse circumstances. Whatever conceivable situation, we have provided you with the solution. But if any unimagined threat to your life arises, you will have to handle it yourself. In no condition, we can be contacted.

And in such a secluded condition you will stay on ISS for two solid years. After the space shuttle takes off from the IS station, you will not even hear the existence of life. Only four of you men, will be there.  In this multiverse, with billions of galaxies each with billions of stars, you will be all alone. Only solace will be the vicinity of earth. Nothing more than that.

Every day at a fixed time that is at 8 o’clock, you will have to stand in front of ROBOT XX and will have to answer the questions it asks you. It will test you in a certain way to know the state of your mind. It will record its findings but will not send them to us on earth. After two years when we will establish communication with you, ROBOT XX will hand over to us all the data collected.

But for two years neither you will hear from us nor you will be able to talk to us.

Okay then boys. Get ready for the space shuttle. All the very best.”

Everyone dispersed.

On 25th December night, the space shuttle took off.

After orbiting the earth twice, it docked with the ISS. The newly arrived team was welcomed by the existing team.

In three days, the returning team got into space shuttle. It was undocked from the ISS and it started its journey towards earth.

 

The new team was left on the ISS to get back only after two complete years. The spirited team was at the peak of their excitement. They looked towards the earth.

It appeared so calm. It was rotating about its own axis at a fixed speed. It was also revolving around sun. It was neither in any hurry nor having any concern about completing one revolution in one year. From this distant place, everything appeared cool on earth. No border disputes between nations. No wars over the matter of supremacy of any country. The entire planet appeared peace loving. Complete human race seemed believing in peaceful co-existence. It looked as an ideal place to live compared to the distant planets and other solar systems.

On December 31, 2019 Wuhan Municipal Health Authorities reported a string of pneumonia-like cases in Wuhan, China.

On January 13 of 2020, Thailand discovered its first patient. Then Japan, USA, TAIWAN, HONGKONG followed the suit. Later Singapore, Malaysia, France, Vietnam, Nepal registered their first cases.

Death toll in Wuhan, China rose to 27.

On January 29, Canada, Australia, Germany, SriLanka, Combodia, Finland, UAE joined the league.

The WHO declared the COVID-19 as a pandemic threat for the entire world, on 30th January, 2020.

On January 31 UK, Russia, Italy, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Iran joined the muster.

The number of infected was increasing. Everyday new name of nation was getting added.

And the mood all over the world had turned gloomy.

Satish and Vidya mulled over the issue.

”The covid-19, is spreading very fast. But India is far away and I think we are safe“.

On February 07, 2020, the total deaths Worldwide: 638

Astronauts on the ISS viewed the earth rotating at the same speed in the same orbit as earlier.

 

·       Total Deaths Worldwide: 5,373

·       Global coronavirus infection cases were doubled those of the last week, reaching almost 330,000 cases.

·        

On 25th March, the ‘Gudi Padva Day’, as a proactive measure, India declared LOCKDOWN in the entire country. Plying of cars, buses, auto rickshaws was stopped. The long distance, the local, even the metro train services were cancelled.

On March 26, nearly a third of the world’s population were living under coronavirus-related restrictions. In The United States of America death toll reached one thousand.

Every person was supposed to remain in four walls of his house. Only for essential requirements, individuals were permitted to get out of their habitats.

On 28th March, confirmed cases in India reaches 1000.

The infected number in India was swelling day by day.

Big cities in India such as Delhi, Mumbai were getting into danger zone. All modes of transportation were banned and the entire country had come to a halt. (standstill.) Still the infected number was swelling faster.

The entire world was under the grip of this pandemic COVID-19. No one knew how it was going to impact the existence of human race.

Various theories for spreading of the killer virus were being put forth.

“Some say, it is like influenza. Not to worry much.”

“But the figures coming from all over the world, suggest it is growing fast. Also, it is said to be fatal for senior persons. In particular, those having some serious illness already, are more vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus attack.”

On April 4, worldwide cases exceeded one million.

On 5th April in India confirmed 100 deaths.

Astronauts on the ISS viewed the earth rotating at the same speed in the same orbit as earlier. But the picture looked clearer than earlier ever. The astronauts thought – “Looks like people on earth have taken air pollution very seriously and are taking effective measures against air adulteration. They appeared to be concerned about health of atmosphere.”

“It is really torturous to remain confined to four walls. Cannot go out to even breath the fresh air.”

Yogita was saying she was finding it very difficult to contain her 5year old daughter in four walls then. For few days they managed. But it was getting almost impossible to keep her from going out to play with her friends.

“Yes. That is a big problem. We oldies can manage somehow. But what about the youngsters, children?”

“Whatever you say, but the skies are clearer these days. One can easily spot stars, planets, constellations etc. The appearance of ISS for a very short time, gliding gives immense pleasure.”

There was a big shuffle of migrant workers

On 10th May, in India confirmed deaths were 2000.

“Santosh’s company had announced that they would be working from home, so to make sure of the internet connection at home. And he left for Varanasi along with his family after he received his laptop from his company.”

“All construction workers have left Mumbai for their villages. So, all the construction work is totally stopped – a complete halt. All civil Engineers are to go on leave till the building work resumes.”

Some hundreds of workers had started going to their villages, walking.

The number of infected persons was increasing in leaps and bounds. Cities like Mumbai, Delhi were affected the worst.

On July 23rd  in India, infected cases were 1,238,635, deaths 29,861.

And then a big building in Ashokvan area was sealed as two families were found positive.

That was a warning. But so far, no person of Satish’s  acquaintance was infected.

On August 7th in India, infected cases 2,027,074, confirmed deaths  41,585.

The mental condition of all those confined to homes was getting bad.

On August 23rd in India, infected  number was 3,044,940, confirmed deaths 56,706

Those who were dependent on daily wages or daily earnings were getting extremely worried about maintaining household.

In the slightly better off families, old men were getting solace from listening to music and ladies young and old, had got hooked to internet and got busy cooking new dishes.

But the Covid-19 was busy spreading its wings.

On September 5th in India infected cases 4,023,179, deaths 69,561.

Then the upsetting news reached. Satish’s childhood friend, ex. chief conservator of the state, residing in the state, succumbed to Covid-19.  He was past 75 but absolutely fit and very active. Beyond imagination was that the Covid-19 fangs would be so poisonous.

On September 16th in India infected cases 5,020,359, deaths 82,066.

One more news came their way. A couple was found Covid positive in their society. They were quarantined in their own house as the house had enough space.

Just after a week, one more couple and a day later a third couple were detected positive.

And the worrisome matter was all the infected were under age of fifty.

Covid-19 had reached their doorstep.

On October 3rd in India, infected cases 6,473,544, deaths 100,842 .

On October 18th  in the world, deaths 1,106,000.

On October 24th In one more case in the society. Senior person aged 75 was taken to Covid center.

Covid-19 was making iits presence conspicuous by taking more persons under its wings.

 

Date 26th October,2020 was 300th day of virus entry on earth.

In the world over 11 million cases infected,11,57,000. Dead.

In INDIA over 7 lakhs infected cases, 1,19,000 deaths.

On November 15, 2020, in the world, infected count: 52 millions, deaths: 1,285,379.

On 2nd January 2021, as scheduled, the space shuttle crew on the space station, got ready to get back to the earth.

The team of four persons boarded the shuttle and the space shuttle took off for Earth. After a couple of orbits around Earth, the space shuttle landed on Florida airport. The astronauts were received by some scientists. While driving through the city, the astronauts felt a stark difference.

The number of persons at the center, was considerably low. The scientists were new. The astronauts were told that the virus Covid 19 had taken a heavy toll on the population of earth.

On September 30, 2021 the total infected cases were 130.5 million.

TOTAL DEATHS WERE 2.9 MILLIONS.

The COVID-19 had strangulated the humanity.

The members of the astronaut team had goosebumps.

That day Satish and Vidya were having their tea on their terrace in the evening.

The busker on the street was singing the same song that he had been singing before the deadly attack by Corona-19 virus on the earth a few years ago. Yes. The busker had survived the ruthless Corona-19 virus assault.

A busker was singing along with playing his ‘ek taari’.

THE EARTH CONTINUES TO ROTATE

THE SKY MOVES ON

DON’T KNOW WHOSE COMMANDS

THIS WORLD IS FOLLOWING

THE GLOBE IS SAILING ON

BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHO IS THE SAILOR

NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE WORLD

IS HEADING

THE KNIT OF HOPE AND DESPAIR

IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE

THE MIX OF DAY AND NIGHT IS

UNFATHOMABLE .

October 02, 2023 07:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.