0 comments

Fiction Inspirational Teens & Young Adult

“Just another disappointment,” I think as I walk down the sidewalk, kicking up the leaves as I walk. Minimum wage isn’t enough for me if I only have one job. I’m barely paying my rent, and food is low. I wish I could move out of the apartment I’m in now, it scares me just walking to my front door, but everywhere else is too expensive. 

What would help me, is if I could go to school, be seen as a better employee, and finally turn my life around, but I can’t. I’ve looked at this from every angle, and there is no way I could get a high school education without losing money. The orphanage barely gave us any education, they were in bad shape too, which is why I find myself alone, on the streets of Toronto, struggling to keep my head up.

I was especially excited for the job I had applied to. I usually don’t get my hopes up about these kinds of things, but this job just seemed perfect for me. I would be waiting tables, at one of the fancier restaurants. Lots of interesting people meet up there, and it may lead to me making it big time...but the owner of the restaurant didn’t think it was so perfect.

“You won’t be able to understand the people at this restaurant” he said, “You don’t look like you belong here,” he said, “I’m sorry but no.” Those words cut me like a knife. I can still feel the numbing pain of his words, with the realization, that I may never be good enough. 

I look up at the exact moment as a man in a suit and tie walks by. We exchange glances for a second, a regular thing in the city, but his glance is filled with something different. Everyone else looks focused with their own well being, determined, and powerful, but he looks different. His glance is filled with hope. A hope for himself, as well as the world. He also has that delicate glint of kindness that has become more and more rare.

The moment passes though, and he is soon whisked away with the crowd. I feel disconnected once again, and decide to sit down. Watching the sidewalk from my spot on a bench, demonstrates exactly how I’m feeling right now. I watch as everyone rushes forward with their lives. They have determination, and a sense of purpose, but I sit here, not moving, watching it all happen. 

I look down at my hands, and see out of the corner of my eye, a beautiful red leaf. The color red doesn’t quite do the leaf justice though. The tips look like they’ve been dipped in sunshine, which fades to a warm and safe orange. The center then takes away my breath, as the vibrant red, reaches outwards towards the other colors. A sense of understanding radiates from the leaf, as if my parents were with me, and could give me a hug.

I reach down and lift the leaf up, turning it in my fingers to admire its beauty. A brown square below it catches my eye though, so I set down the leaf, and pick up the object. It is a wallet that looks smooth and new, but slight cracks across the binding and front show its age. I open it up, and gasp at the sight of the money. I pull it out and begin to count. 

“20, 40, 60, 110, 160, 210, 260, 280, 300!” This money could help pay for my rent. I might even be able to afford some new clothes, or a midday snack. I put the money back in the wallet, and freeze, when I notice a crayon drawing in one of the pockets. It is a drawing of a Dad, a Mom, and a child. Over the top it reads, “I love you Daddy!” It may not be a masterpiece of a drawing, but it makes me cry. I used to make drawings like this, but they were never sent to my parents. I was finally told the truth about my parents when I was 6, that they were gone. The memory of that day has grown faint, but the heartbreak is still there.

I place the drawing back in the wallet and pick up the driver's license. It is the same person who I passed on the street. The one who was filled with hope and kindness. I can’t take this away from him. I find his card in his wallet, with his phone number. I insert a coin into a street phone, and call him. We arrange to meet up in an hour, at the coffee shop down the road from the bank.

I wait outside for a while, before heading over to the coffee shop, with his wallet. Upon stepping in, I notice him, sitting in one of the booths in the back. I walk over, wearing what I hope looks like a kind smile, and sit down across from him.

“I’m Nicki,” I introduce myself cautiously, while fidgeting with my hands, under the table, where he can’t see.

“Hi Nicki, I’m Jacob. You said you found my wallet.” I’m a little startled by how forward he is, but it makes sense. Everyone in this city is busy, and works according to their own agenda.

“Umm, ya,” I take the wallet out of my pocket and place it on the table, “I…”

He snatches it up, flipping quickly through its contents before standing up. “I have to go.” He says before grabbing his coat and walking out.

I stare dumbfounded as he disappears through the exit, with the money that could have made a huge impact on my life.

It’s a few days after my encounter with Jacob, and I’ve let go of any hope that he might have brought me. I turn down the road, and step inside the third store. The sign over top the door read Sights and Tips, and inside are shelves of postcards, travel books, souvenirs and more. I flip the open sign on my way in, and go behind the desk. I put my bag down, as somebody walks in. A chime on the door announces their arrival, and I instinctively greet them without looking up.

“Hello, welcome to Sights and Tips, can I help you find anything?” I wait for an answer, tourists usually say something like, ‘No, just looking’ but the customer says nothing. I look up and meet Jacob’s eyes, on the other side of the desk. 

“Nicki?” he asks. I nod, and stare silently. “I wanted to thank you for returning my wallet. Most people wouldn’t have been so kind.”

“Well...it wasn’t a big deal.” I stumble over my words, and look down at my hands, embarrassed. “Can I help you with anything.”

“I came in here because I wanted to express how truly grateful I am. You saved my job by returning that wallet to me, and I don’t know how I could repay you.”

“It isn’t necessary, just make sure to be there for your kid.”

“How do you know I have a kid?” Jacob stumbles back a little startled.

“I...uhh...I saw the drawing in your wallet. I just assumed.”

“Oh, right.” Jacob begins to relax a bit, “So what are the perks of working here?” He looks around the store, searching for some incredible detail that he missed during his first glance.

“It pays.” I’m a little confused that he has to ask, but I guess some people have it easier than others.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He pauses before his face lights up with an idea. “Actually, I think we might be able to help each other. You see in my wallet was a very important document that I needed to seal the deal with my investors. Now that I have them, I’m able to start up my new business which I think will be a big success.”

“I think I’m missing the point where I can help you.” I interrupt.

“Well, I’ve been trying to find someone to be my assistant, but I don’t really trust any of the applicants like I trust you. So I was wondering if you would like the job. It would have a higher pay of course, and I think my business could really make a difference.

I stare amazed, unable to make out words of how I’m feeling. Is he really offering me a job? We don’t even know each other. “ I...I...wait...what is your business?”

“It’s an app that helps people find jobs in big cities. Different companies have already agreed to sign up, and it would help all sorts of people apply for different jobs. I understand of course if you don’t want to do this though. We don’t really know each other.”

“I mean how could I not take it?”

“So that’s a yes?”

“Yes.”

It’s many years later now, and Jacob has changed my life. The name Jacob Melvri is well known, but the money never got to his head, and he continues to be a person who always thinks of others’ needs. 

Ever since I was offered that job, my life has been turning around for the better. I was able to move out of my apartment, and now live in my own house! Eventually I stopped working as Jacob’s assistant, but he was able to help me acquire a proper education. Now I work for a not-for-profit organization that helps to educate kids who live on the streets. My new experience in marketing helps us to get our funding, and help kids the way Jacob helped me.

I stand outside the door of our meeting room now, about to step in for an interview. When we were offered this chance for press, our company was elated, and jumped at the opportunity. I step inside and see my boss, a few of my co-workers, cameras, and the person interviewing us. I walk in and take my seat.

“Hello everyone. Can I ask you to introduce yourselves one at a time?”

“Hello, my name is Amelia Stradom, and I’m the CEO of this company.”

“Hello, my name is Nicki, and I’m the head of marketing.” I say.

“What’s your last name Nicki?”

I hesitate for a minute. I never really knew my parents, and don’t know what their last name was. “Jacobs,” I suddenly hear myself saying. I’m surprised at first, but it makes sense. Nicki Jacobs.

November 05, 2021 20:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.