9 comments

Christmas Friendship Holiday

It’s Christmas, the snow is falling, and the fire is crackling - such a peaceful atmosphere - for the two friends, it was the perfect atmosphere for some hot-coco and a little chit-chat. Katelynn, the short redhead, turned on the record player and began playing their favourite Christmas songs. “So, has anything interesting happen lately?” the girl asked with a soft chuckle

Her friend, a young man that goes by the name Nikolai, nodded quietly as he sipped tentatively on his hot-chocolate. “My siblings and I, we made plans to go visit family for the holidays.” he shared, his soft voice echoing through the room- “My mother and Father are going to be… very happy to see us.” He finished, looking at Katelynn with those beautiful green eyes of his.

“That’s wonderful!” Katelynn exclaimed, her excitement shining brightly and lighting up the room. “Make sure you tell everyone that I said ‘hello’, okay?” She asked, a playful smile forming on her lips.

Nikolai nodded quietly again. Nikolai placed his cup down and looked out the window calmly, his expression softening as the snow fluttered to the ground outside the frosted windows. “The moon is beautiful tonight.” He started in a voice that was awfully quiet. “I always loved looking out at the moon- it has always brought me a sense of… peace.” Nikolai added, looking over at Katelynn for her response.

Katelynn smiled warmly at her friend’s words. She always loved being around him as he always brought a sense of calm that no one else could. “That sounds like you, Niki.” She smiled, “Being around you has always brought me peace. Though, that is more of a ying-yang kind of situation.” Katelynn chuckled, leaning back in her chair and looking up at the ceiling. “It's funny how well we get along. I’m always too energetic, and you’re always so calm.” She paused, thinking before speaking again- “What do you think, Nikolai? Why do we get along so well despite being so different?”

Nikolai listened tentatively as Katelynn spoke. After she asked her question, Nikolai paused and thought long and hard about his answer. “I think we get along so well because we balance each-other out. You may be energetic and loud, and I may be quiet and calm… but when we are together, we mix to bring out the best of each-other.” The young man smiled, the moonlight reflecting off his green eyes.

The girl smiled brightly again, “You’re so smart, Niki!” Katelynn called out, her bright personality still shining through the room like a blinding light. Just then, Katelynn realised that she ran out of hot-chocolate. With a defeated sigh she placed the cup on the table and slumped into her chair. “No more hot-chocolate…” She whined.

‘Its funny how the light in the room immediately disappeared due to the lack of hot-chocolate…’ Nikolai thought to himself with a soft chuckle while he watched Katelynn whine about the hot-chocolate - or lack thereof - “You know you can just make more, right?” Nikolaj quipped back, giving her a puzzled look.

“But I don't want to!” She replied stubbornly. Katelynn then sat up quickly and gave Nikolai an excited look, “Do you remember three years ago? When the thing happened?” She exclaimed, looking overly excited.

Nikolai, not understanding the thing, just shrugged. “Be a bit more specific, Kate. I have no clue what ‘the thing’ is.” Nikolai sighed out. He reached up and covered his eyes with his hands in a show of disappointment.

“Y-you know! The thing with the ice and the popsicles, and that Santa guy?!” She exclaimed, trying to make Nikolai understand what she was trying to say, “The fair! And there was a pond and Santa was on the pond giving out those popsicles!”

Just then, Nikolai realised what Katelynn was referring to. “Ohhh- you’re talking about the Christmas festival, right?” He questioned, raising an eyebrow. “So, what about it? What about this festival has gotten my dear Katelynn so worked up?” He exaggerated, a playful glint shining in his eyes.

Katelynn smiled mischievously - her eyes glinting with a slight evil - “I stayed a bit longer after the festival, and I saw the Santa strip and jump into a hole in the ice.” She whispered as if it was a big secret, “I bet that Santa is one of those people who swim in winter- that would make sense though… that is probably how he can spend so much time in the North-Pole without freezing!” She giggled, her enthusiasm coming back just as fast as it disappeared.

For a moment, the two share a moment of silence. It wasn’t a planned silence -nothing was ever planned with these two- and they just stared at each-other for a moment of peace. Neither of them knew why this was happening or why they were doing it, it was just a moment to calm down and appreciate their friendship, even in the most chaotic of circumstances. 

“Well- that was… awkward.” Nikolai finally spoke up, breaking the silence. “I don’t know why we did that. It was a bit odd…” He sounded rather perplexed by the situation that just unfolded between them.

Kate chuckled and shrugged, “Friendship will do the to ya! Besides, it was nice and peaceful!” She exclaimed. Then Katelynn popped up from her chair and walked over to the fire to poke at it. “Niki! Look, the fire is blue!” She squealed in excitement.

Nikolai got up from his chair and walked over to Katelynn, standing behind her and looking over her shoulder. “That’s cool.” He replied quietly. “Maybe you shouldn’t poke at it though… You might get hurt.” Nikolai said with a sigh as he carefully pulled Katelynn away from the fire. “Why don’t we go make more hot-chocolate?”

“I love hot-chocolate!” She excitedly cried out as she stumbled to her feet and eagerly followed Nikolai to the kitchen. “What type of hot-chocolate will we have? I like the Tim Hortons hot-chocolate mix!” She tugged Nikolai over to the cabinet where she pulled out a tin of her favourite hot-chocolate mix.

Nikolai sighed, “Tim Hortons hot-chocolate it is.” He let out a small chuckle after realising that there was no changing her mind. “Let’s put the water on now and then we can watch a movie or something-” He said while grabbing the kettle and setting it on the stove. “I think that would be fun, Katelynn.”

December 02, 2023 06:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Belladona Vulpa
18:39 Dec 10, 2023

I enjoyed the cozy Christmas vibe in this story! Katelynn and Nikolai's contrasting personalities create a delightful balance. The quiet moment of shared peace and the humorous revelation about Santa add charm. The story also captures the essence of friendship and simple, heartwarming moments.

Reply

Kayla Taylor
22:53 Dec 10, 2023

Thank you so much for your comment! I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
20:19 Dec 11, 2023

I enjoyed your story! It’s sweet :)

Reply

Kayla Taylor
23:18 Dec 11, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
05:59 Dec 10, 2023

A cute, bubbly story about two good friends I secretly hope get together. :)

Reply

Kayla Taylor
22:52 Dec 10, 2023

Thanks! (Pstt, secret between us, they do get together :D)

Reply

J. D. Lair
23:36 Dec 10, 2023

Yay! 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Prijanga Selva
15:13 Dec 09, 2023

Tim Hortons are my favourite! I enjoyed your story a lot!!

Reply

Kayla Taylor
22:52 Dec 10, 2023

Tim Hortons is my favorite too! Thanks for the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.