2 comments

Mystery

Run. That was the only thing going through my mind right now as I ran from a mysterious figure in the woods. Nighttime had already settled overhead only making it harder to escape the horrors of the night. As I ran, I took the risk of looking behind me in an attempt to see if my pursuers were still after me, only to trip and fall on an uprooted tree. Pain spreads throughout my body as a root hits my bare stomach where a deep stab wound was stitched up.  I hit the ground with a thud and began to tumble down a steep hill, I reached out trying to grab anything to stop my fall but came up empty-handed. Mud caked my clothes and skin as I finally managed to gain enough footing to stop my descent and stand upright.

Once over the dizziness of my tumble, I stood up and began to run once more. I had no idea where I was but a tall tree that was just a few feet away that provides a view to allow me to find a town or a city or even a house. Once there I quickly looked behind and stood still like a statue to listen for the dogs that followed my scent. After listening and hearing nothing I begin to ascend the large tree, once up there I look through the branches to see a small town lit up in the distance. Hope rose into my chest as safety was only a few miles away. I took a deep breath as fatigue washed over me and after listening once more for the sound of dogs that would ensure death I let sleep take over.

I woke up to the sun's rays hitting my face and the sound of dogs, after realizing where I was and why panic forced me to quickly make my way down the tree. I was on the last branch when suddenly it snapped and sent me tumbling down to the grounds, alerting the pursuers of my location. I scrambled back onto my feet and bolted towards town.

"That's ‘er fella's, go get ‘er!" Suddenly the sound of chains dropping to the forest floor reaches my ears along with the gradually growing sound of dogs barking making me run faster. I was terrified that they would capture me and punish me for trying to escape. So much so that my legs stumbled more than I normally would. I continued to run till I came across a stream and got an idea, I then plunged into the ice-cold water and swam across. I felt the cold soak into my bones as I ran towards town all the while the wind bit at my frigged cold skin.

After some time the sound of vicious, blood-thirsty dogs faded into the distance along with the place that held me for most of my life. I stop for a rest once I was positive the hunters would not find me when suddenly a sharp pain spreads through my stomach. I look down and curse under my breath when I see my wound had opened up, I cover it with my hand since all I had on was a black sports bra and black yoga pants. All which were provided by my captives and the only thing clothing my scarred body. I continued towards town with a limp accompanying my already horrible walk.

Finally, I see a dirt road and begin to follow it to safety, but slowly worry starts to fill my head, 'What if they didn't help me, what if they were a part of it.' These thoughts plagued my mind while I tried to think of what I was going to do if any of my paranoid thoughts were right. I finally decided that I would lie and say I was a lost camper that had been missing for weeks, not believable but I would try my best.

I soon found the main road and followed it into town and whenever I heard the roar of a car I would quickly jump into the ditch, hiding until it was out of sight. When I entered the town the sun was setting onto the horizon.

I'm scared, hungry, injured and lost. I had decided a long time ago that if I ever go out of that hellhole I would head straight to the police. But as I made my way to the station black spots began to dance across my vision, I stumbled and fell. I realized that I was losing blood faster than I was when it first reopened and slowly watched as a pool of blood began to form around me. I was fading fast as black spot began to cloud my vision, I look around to try and find anyone who could help when a black figure suddenly appeared. 

I jolt up and quickly access my surroundings and see I’m in a room with plain, cream-colored walls and white trim. I look to see what I’m laying on, only to see a black comforter with a navy blue floral print. The bed itself is so soft that I sink back into instantly and try to go back to sleep until the door quietly opens. Out of habit, I feigned sleep and closed my eyes, I listen to the slow steps approaching the bed and the sound of a tray being placed on a nearby nightstand.

Silence, then the door closes. I hesitantly open my eyes and see that the person left, I look next to the bed and see that he (judging from the sound of the steps) left food and a note. I reach for the note and open it once in my grasp.

“Hello,

I don’t want to sound strange when I say this but I found you last night in a pool of blood. I carried you to my home and tended to your wounds and let you sleep in my guest bedroom. I want you to know that I will not hurt you and will most likely be out when you wake,”

Just as I read this I hear a door open and close from somewhere within the house. 

“I left you some food, you need to eat to gain your strength back, you lost a lot of blood. Feel free to roam the house just, don’t steal anything.

Sincerely,

John Lake”

  To be Continued...

April 14, 2020 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Wonderful story! At first when it switched to non-iltalics, I was low-key like, “Oh, just a nightmare.” But that theory was quickly thrown out the window. Not really sure if I trust this John Lake fellow, though. 🧐

Reply

Asher Winters
03:14 Apr 20, 2020

Honestly, John was meant to be one of the MANY agents that work for the hell hole that she escape from that was trying to gain her trust but then he turned into this so, who knows.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.