1 comment

American Speculative Contemporary

It all started with a Facebook post from a former employer that Cheryl had worked for 16 years ago. The company was interested in opening a chain of stores in Las Vegas. This was un-chartered territory for this Southern Californian retail chain.

However, the leadership of Daniel's knew that they would have an amazing chance and success if they could get the right person for the job. They decided to reach out to their former employee Cheryl who currently is residing in Las Vegas. Raffy, a current District Manager, decided to shoot his shot with a suggestion thru an instant message post. It read, "Hello Cheryl, I have great news! Daniel's is moving to Vegas and I was wondering if you would consider getting back in the game? We are looking for a person to open several stores who is familiar with our way of doing things and feel you would be the perfect candidate! What do you think?" Cheryl read the message and let's just say, she was super excited about the idea. Cheryl started working for the company when she was 19 years old and she worked with them for most of her life. Cheryl loved this company as she remembers it allowed her to lead and mentor others to have a sales career that they could make a living with. She moved to Vegas due to her husband being transferred out to this area. Las Vegas is a Good Ol Boys town. It is not what you know it is who you know which made it hard to find a good job much less a great one. She found work in the Medical Field, then moved on to the Automobile Insurance Industry. Cheryl was working with State Farm Insurance she did very well and even was given her own office however, she really wanted to make a difference. Going with her first gut feeling of leaving her stable job to venture out with her former company and create their vision in Las Vegas was too exciting to pass up. The first task Cheryl was given was the task to open two stores in the Valley. Cheryl met up with the Regional manager Mark and the new District Manager Richard. She was nervous, Cheryl worried that she was out of the game for over sixteen years and worried that she did not have what it takes to take on such a big task. You see Mark was and still is a demanding Leader. Mark didn't like Wishy Washy types. If you were brave enough to accept one of his challenges you better be ready to give it 110 percent. Now Richard was Cheryl's friend, they worked as Managers in the same District so Cheryl would do what it takes to make him shine.

Richard, Mark and Cheryl met up at the Galleria Mall in Henderson to have a chat and basically to size Cheryl up. Mark was curious if she was indeed the right candidate for such an important task. After all, Cheryl has been out of the picture for sixteen years. Mark and Richard sat at the food court waiting for Cheryl to make her appearance . Cheryl all nerves but confident sees her Bosses and greets them with a hug. "Hello Mark, boy has it been a long time" said Cheryl. She noticed that Mark was not the Big guy that intimidated her as a young girl. Mark lost weight and oddly seemed shorter compared to her at 5ft 3, more like 5ft 6 with her High Heels. Richard was still the tallest Korean she had ever met but he too showed that he lost weight. Cheryl's nerves subsided as she now saw them as less than intimidating managers from her past. Mark jumped right to it. "Look we are wanting to build multiple stores in Vegas starting with Galleria and Meadows malls. I need to know that you are committed to this project and understand that you will be a huge part in this as we will heavily lean on you. Cheryl you know how we do things and need you to bring the Daniel's way to Las Vegas. Are you up for the challenge?" Her heart was pounding, Cheryl thought before she spoke as she remembered her word would be everything. She paused, thinking is this something I can do? Can I produce the vision that they had? Am I the right person for this job? Cheryl was hoping Richard would come to her rescue with a, no worries Boss Cheryl is your girl she is qualified. However, Richard sat expressionless seeming more confused and wondering is this lady going to be able to help me or what? Cheryl thought, I am a master team builder, I know how this company is run, I am ambitious and resourceful. She looked Mark in the eyes, and said, "Richard and I got this!" That made Richard shake, he looked terrified, which made Cheryl nervous. Mark saw this and came back with, " Cheryl I am going to lean on you to make this happen! I need you to know that I am counting on you!" For Petes sake, looks like all fingers are going to be pointed Cheryls way and Richard would not be on the hook for much. Cheryl took a deep breath and confirmed how committed she is and to count on her.

As the process began, the challenge to find the right team, get the team trained and prepared in time for a Grand opening for two stores was on. Cheryl quickly learned that she was not going to get much help from her Friend Richard. Time was ticking, and no office to work out of Cheryl would preform interviews in the local Coffee shops and the food court. She must have interviewed at least 200 people. She "shopped" for qualified people all over the Valley. Cheryl found her teams and used one of the empty stores an old Fredricks of Hollywood, in the mall to train them on what to expect once they opened the doors. Not the ideal place but hay it was free, they conducted classes sitting on animal print carpet. Cheryl even drove the teams to Hesperia and Victorville to attempt to get them at least a week ends worth of experience in an actual store, as most of them came from competitor stores.

In the Hesperia store them manager there had the personality of a drill Sergeant, Angie. Angie was skilled in making the difficult look amazingly simple. Angie took each person and taught them how to work the system. She was a God sent. Cheryl felt confident that because of Angie's wonderful help that her team had a fighting chance on Grand opening day.

Grand opening day was finally here. From the minute that they cut the shinny Red Ribbon to the last customer at 9 pm. The store was filled with people, elbow to elbow. Mark pulled Cheryl outside to admire her success. He confessed to her, "Young Lady I have to admit that I did not think you could pull this off! Congratulations on an amazing Grand opening. Your team selection and the preparation really shows you put work into this project. Well done."

Well Boss, I just followed my Gut! I too worried about how I would pull this off but I knew that anything you put your mind to and focus on will grow. It was a ton of work but I too am excited about the results. The Meadows team made Daniel's history as they closed the Store's Grand Opening day with over $10,000 in sales which apparently was record breaking for a new store in a new State. Goes to show you, take a chance, go with your gut! You are never sure what you can do unless your try.

Oh so if that wasn't exciting enough... Daniel's went on to open five more stores in Las Vegas, each one successful record breaking stores! As for Cheryl, well she was promoted to the Area Coordinator for Las Vegas and New Mexico. Preparation meeting opportunity.

January 06, 2022 08:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kiera Lawley
02:48 Jan 13, 2022

Hi Cheryl. I enjoyed the positive tone of your story. One thing I would suggest is checking for typos and unnecessary capitalisation as those little mistakes interrupted the flow of the story for me. Overall, it was a nice story to read, though.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.