0 comments

Drama Inspirational Coming of Age

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

Few of us write letters anymore. But there are great benefits to writing a physical letter. There is something reassuring about the physical presence of the paper, the personality of the inked handwriting. A letter can make you feel close to someone who is far away. Let’s consider the case of a man named Larry. Larry was the man whom everybody liked. He was charming, sweet, and funny. He could make almost anyone laugh. He had a gift for making funny faces. He was easy going and got along well with other people. Yet the truth was, under this exterior sometimes Larry’s happiness would fade, and he would slide down into a valley of depression. It was during these times that his passion was painting. He would swirl paint on giant canvases with bright colors, which eased his turmoil.

It was on one such day, after the breakup between him and his girlfriend, that he was in his studio, painting. Larry had finished a big messy colorful painting, passionate, desperate, and distorted. He was feeling alone today. He needed comfort but both his parents were gone. Larry wished he could talk to his dad. They had had a special connection. Larry had gotten his easy-going nature and sense of humor from his father.

 Suddenly a thought occurred to Larry as he wiped his hands on a towel. He mulled over it as he washed his brushes. By the time he had finished cleaning up, he had made a decision. He went from his studio to his room. As a matter of habit, he went to the mirror.


Larry gazed into his own brown eyes and reflected. He brushed his right hand through his hair and turned away. He crossed the room to his desk. He was going to write a letter. He sighed, shifted in his seat, and tapped his paint -stained fingers on his desk. He found a pen and paper and began to write. He was writing to a young boy in a room of his own far away, a conflicted and frightened boy. A boy with a hyperactive mind and body, whose own thoughts scared him sometimes. Let’s visit that boy in his room…

           A tear trickles down the boy’s cheek. He clutches the sides of his head. The thought that has just entered his mind scared him. Sometimes his thoughts raced too fast for him to keep up with. Today was one of those days. He turns to his mirror, a place of solace for him. He gazes at his face: the brown eyes, the short nose, the dark hair. He would often, when he was alone in his room, sit for hours and stretch and contort his features into fantastic faces. His family said that he had a gift. They called him a comedian. The boy missed his father. He wouldn’t be home from work for a few more hours. The boy wanted to talk to him now, for the two shared a special connection. His father would know how to help calm the boy’s mind.


Larry kept writing, his eyes intent on the paper. “Dear boy: Remember that day, that crazy day, when your thoughts were running so fast? That day, when your depression was beginning, they were violent thoughts that scared you sometimes. Remember when that thought entered your mind about running a razor over your tongue? I know that scared the heck out of you. You didn’t know where it came from. Well, from my own experience, I can tell you that that voice was not from your true self. It was not worth listening to. You heard a lot of those voices back then, man, and it wasn’t fun. You experienced hills and valleys in your life, and it was hard. But you carried on. You made it through, to today. And I’m proud of you. As you sit in front of the mirror in your room, practicing faces, I want you to know that although you may find yourself in the bottom of a valley, you won’t be stuck there forever. I believe in you, man. You never have to listen to those thoughts in your head.

           Today, I just finished a big painting. I remember that you like to draw. Remember that color is your friend. It will brighten some of your dark days. Don’t be afraid to put what’s in your mind on canvas. Getting your thoughts out there somehow makes them seem less scary. Remember, the universe has a plan for your life, and things don’t happen to you, they happen for you, as opportunities.

           Don’t be afraid, boy. You have no idea of the wonders and successes that lie before you. As you sit in your room right now, confused and a little scared, just breathe, clear your mind, and live in the moment. Keep practicing your faces. They bring joy to other people. Someday what’s happening to you will make sense. You will realize that you have ADHD and depression, and you will find relief in the fact that other people have these struggles too. Love, Larry.”


Larry folded the letter and rubbed his finger along the creases of the paper thoughtfully. A new peace was in his eyes. This was something like what his father would have said.


           Some days later, Larry waited in his dressing room until it was time for him to appear on “The Tonight Show.” Once there, he would charm people and make them laugh. That boy in the bedroom had grown up to be a world-famous comedian, thanks in a large way to his father’s encouragement. Tonight, there was a big chance Larry would mention his father during the interview. He would talk about his father’s sense of humor, his gentle nature, and how he always believed in Larry. Larry gazed into the vanity mirror, his thoughts on that letter which imitated his father’s encouragement. There would be more dark days ahead in Larry’s life, but for now, the struggle had eased. Larry smiled faintly. “Thanks, Dad.”

May 18, 2022 04:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.