Rose of Viterbo

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction Coming of Age American

Rose of Viterbo

By Dewain Williams

Rose was only eight years old when she had the vision. Born and raised in Viterbo. The city she adorned. It was close to midnight when the vision came. Rose was dosing off while sitting on the couch looking at the pinch black sky. A beautiful woman appeared in all white and spoke.

"Rose, speak justice to all despite their power, despite the strength and might they may have. Never give up and never quit. Let not your young age discourage you in your efforts. Be strong and smart and wise. Fear not any consequences."

Rose listened attentively while the beautiful woman spoke but wondered why was I chosen. 

"Why me?"

Rose didn't understand.

As the beautiful lady floated away Rose asked. 

"Why me?"

"Your name is special."

It didn't make sense to Rose but she obeyed the orders of the vision and prepared to speak truth against injustice.

Rose knew The Emperor, Frederick ll was a very cruel man. She heard many stories from her parents about his injustices.

On one such occasion Frederick ll had a man burned to death for performing magic. But everyone knew he was innocent of all charges. The real sorcerer admitted he was the one performing tricks but The Emperor ignored his claims.

"Today this magician will be burned by the stake for his misdeeds. No one can save him. It has therefore been decreed."

On another such occasion Frederick ll murdered an entire village for rebellion including all women and children. No soul in the village was untouched.

This and many more wrongs occurred at the hands of Frederick ll.

Rose studied for years in preparation for her endeavors. She would speak truth to falsehood. And she will never give up.

At the young age of 12 she begun. 

Day and night she walked the streets encouraging all she could towards truth. In the beginning no one listened but eventually she gained followers.

"I speak truth to you all, oh dwellers of Viterbo. Take heed to my words and my admonition. Falsehood and wrongdoing will only lead you to destruction. Seek truth and goodness instead. Be not a follower of The Emperor. He is a devious man, a man who understands little and misrepresents much."

Rose followers grew. The people were attracted by her. 

All until The Emperor heard of her encouragements.

"Who is this Rose I hear of? Running the streets speaking falsehoods upon my name. How dare she. Does she not know the punishments I give out to those who disobey me? I am Emperor! Frederick the ll! The leader of all."

"But Sir! This young lady is only 12."

"12? Are you positive my servant? Rose is only 12?"

"Yes Emperor, only 12."

"In that case my decision is to expel her from the city immediately. Call the forces to execute my wishes." 

Richard was next for trial.

"Are you a follower of Rose? Mr. Richard."

"Yes. She speaks the truth."

"What truth? My words are supreme in Viterbo and elsewhere. How dare you? Are you admitting guilt Mr. Richard?"

"Is guilt being honest and trustworthy? Is guilt agreeing with that which is right? If so then yes, I'm guilty."

"Right and wrong is determined by me. I am Frederick the ll, The almighty Emperor. Death will be Richard's punishment because he is a rebel. Call the forces to execute my wishes."

Rose was notified that she had to leave.

"Why do you do what you do Rose. Are the consequences worth it?" Her mother asked.

"I had a vision mother. I was told my name is special."

The sky was clear as the wind lightly gust through the air. Rose knew her efforts would be awarded some how. She agreed to leave.

"I cannot stand by while my daughter goes. I shall go with you. Your punishment is my punishment."

Shortly thereafter Rose's family packed there things and departed the city. As she left crowds of supporters cheered her on. She went away in honour.

Years passed and injustice ran rapid. Frederick the ll had his way in all occasions. Fairness was unheard of. No one could stand against him. 

Until eventually he died. 

Decades of tyranny while he lived, but his funeral was massive, thousands attended. And others rejoiced in his death. Viterbo may breath again some hoped. His decisions and rulings lived with Viterbo for years after his death.

In a distant land the family of Rose heard of Frederick the ll's death. 

"Rose! We should return to our home city."

"What about his guardsmen? His decree still stands."

"We can inquire about such things. If allowed we should return. It is where we all was born. No city can compare to it."

Word was sent to see if harm would be given if there was a return.

Months passed when it was delivered that reentry would be safe. Rose and her family packed and travelled back to there homeland. There entrance was magnificent, large crowds cheered them on as they entered the city and chanted Rose of Viterbo, Rose of Viterbo.

With Rose present justice prevailed for many years.

After decades back in the city Rose had another vision. The beautiful lady in all white appeared.

"Your work is done Rose. You shall be honoured for your success."

"How so?"

"I told you before that your name was special. Therefore you will be as a flower, beautiful and plentiful across this globe. Every such flower in the world will be called Rose and you will endure in all of them. Oh, what a gift!"

"A flower?"

"A beautiful flower incarnate."

Soon thereafter Rose was placed in central Viterbo as a flower seeing what it sees and hearings what it hears in addition to all the Roses in the world. A beauty for all to see.

When the people of Viterbo walked by the flower they all knew it was Rose. All paid there respects.

749 years later!

Rose heard similar injustices in one such place. Frederick the ll multiplied by ten. From one flower in that area she became incarnate to speak justice against racism, hate, and sexism. A place where ignorance prevail despite its advances. Where could this be? AMERICA!

March 24, 2021 16:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.