0 comments

Historical Fiction

September spring, a happy evening it was. My parents, siblings and everybody at that party were dancing in ecstasy. The mood was jubilant. The effect of two rounds of vodka made me speak to the prettiest girls at the party. At twelfth I had already secretly made up with four girls in the bathroom. It was the greatest Sunday of my life. The joy and excitement went on until two in the morning. That was the morning I remembered I had a DAT test to write four hours later. DAT was a test written to determine the probability of students likely to be granted scholarship to study abroad. All the fun had been reciprocated into a ball of stress and anxiety. I dodged my cousins and stumbled to my room. The door was locked from the inside. I was drunk and struggled more than a minute before I got the key out of my pocket. I directed the golden key into the lock and moved back and forth at the effect of the vodka. The lock unlocked and the door shot open. The glass of water that was positioned next to my bed fell and broke when my girlfriend Jenny jumped naked out of bed. My best friend Dave sat in dismay astonished of my presence in that room. "This is just a misunderstanding." Dave tried to explain. Jenny was wrapped in a soft see-through blanket and her left breast stood stiff. Her womanly figure could be seen from the see-through blanket and her hair was messy. Dave was sweaty, and bravely got out of bed and walked towards me. "Look man. I know this is alot to take in, but please believe me man it's not what it looks like."Dave startled as he drew closer to me. He was naked. I was still standing at the door. I shed tears and loathed the fruits my jubilant night had beared. Jenny cried of shame. Without muttering a word, I grabbed the bat that I hung on my door for emergency purposes. I didn't hesitate and gave Dave a big blow to the head with my bat. He fell head-first on the tiled floor and never woke up. Jenny shook her head eyes-wide with her hand covering her shaking lips. "No! No! No! Not Dave!" Jenny said while rushing towards Dave who was lying on the floor. "Oh no! The pulse? No!this can't be. You killed him" Jenny kept crying. I only hit him once and my intentions were not to kill my best friend. I was still drunk, but fear engeneered it's way through me. I sat leaning against the door in view of Jenny crying at the loss of Dave. Young Thug's lifestyle was loudly being played at the party. The music and the screaming screened Jenny's mourning. I, for fright sake shed tears too while we waited for early darkness. 


The shouts and screams at the party were becoming less. Breaking bottles were now heard from the road opposite the room Jenny and I miserably fell asleep. The party was approaching its terminus. The sun had only shown its upper-self to the world. Birds sang and whistled in all trees of the town. "Skunk! Wake up!" Jenny shouted. "How on earth does a killer fall asleep knowing there's alot out there?" she continued. I was awake before she asked the question. She was wearing red tight Jeans, a grey jersey and her favourite yellow cap. Her look did not satisfy my expectations. She looked calm and less troubled in my tired but awake eyes. "My uncle Tolido understood the dilemma and assured us help in hiding the body." she spoke again, right after she opened the window. "Wait what? You told someone? Why? I thought, I thought we were together in this. Did you really tell? You want me to go down for good?" I spoke with verbosity. "He is my uncle. I'm the fault behind all this mess. If I didn't sleep with Dave, you wouldn't have held that bat, I wouldn't have called my long lost uncle and Dave would still have had breath rushing through his smoked lungs. Can you honestly not see that?" Jenny imagined and a tear dropped down her left chick. The whole room was now painted with light. The sun had risen so that half of it could be seen, above the mountains, in the east. I obesserved steadily as Jenny pulled out a huge sack,it was black with a grey zip. She demanded we put the deceased body in the bag and wait for her uncle's arrival. I held Dave's body with my right and left arms positioned under the body's armpits,and struggled to lift the body into the black sack. Flies flew from the surroundings to fist on the rotting body. I placed the body inside the sack, and Jenny pulled the zip from the feet of the sack to the head and it closed. The vast variety of flies irritated my presence, I moved from the body and leaned against the door. Jenny sat on the bed, as we prayed and waited for her uncle's arrival. Time never stood, the arms on the clock I hung next to my bed danced, like the monkeys we watched near the eastern mountains, when my best friend still had breath. My thoughts drove me to a world of discomfort, a place where my heart bled on sight of the memories that lied before it. The moment came, when a car hooted at the back of my room. A yellow Jeep, with rims the size of our food drums, it reflected light into our eyes, and the blackness of the tyres was spoiled with the long-drive dust. It's mirrors made it look like a winter cat, those only found in our wild, a place of solitude, I shared with my best friend. Tolido, a middle aged man, with a beard the size of my eye lashes sat in the front sit of the Jeep. Jenny and I dragged the body sack towards the car, and laid it in the big comfortable hoot. I held Jenny's hand in my own as we watched the car drive away. A crowd of dust built every time the Jeep made turns, on the corners of the dusty roads. Sighs of relief filled both of us, as we walked into the house, and passed the day on the corner café.



June 05, 2020 09:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.