0 comments

Fiction Friendship Coming of Age

When it came to baked goods, the humble town of Crumblington was, to put it mildly, a place of modest appetite. The local populace, who considered a slice of bread with an overly generous spread of butter a gourmet adventure, had little use for the creative expressions of flour, butter, and sugar. 

Gerald and Harvey had been friends since they were little boys sharing a sandbox in Mrs. Muffin's kindergarten. Their shared dream, rather at odds with their hometown's ambivalence towards carbohydrates, was to open a bakery.

The seed of the bakery dream had been planted, quite incongruously, during a particularly dreary history lesson about the French Revolution. While their classmates were busily engaged in wrestling with the logistics of guillotine usage and the socio-economic implications of the storming of the Bastille, Gerald and Harvey found their attention irresistibly drawn to the mention of Marie Antoinette's infamous line, "Let them eat cake."

This brought about a revolutionary thought of their own. What if they could actually provide people with cake? Or even better, an entire bakery's worth of cake! And not just cake, they reasoned, but pies, cookies, and muffins as well. With all the certainty of ten-year-olds who had just discovered a solution to world peace, they decided that owning a bakery was their calling.

After all, if the Queen of France could unwittingly inspire a revolution with her blithe suggestion, they reasoned, perhaps they could instigate a more peaceful, pastry-driven transformation in the carb-reluctant town of Crumblington. And so, fueled by the notion of being the torchbearers of a baked goods revolution, the dream of their own bakery was born.

Indeed, it was in the sandbox of Mrs. Muffin's kindergarten that they baked their first "delicacies." Using meticulously excavated mud and carefully chosen sand, they fashioned pies and cakes that were, while rather lacking in taste and texture, exceptional feats of imagination. Their mothers, called upon to play the part of impressed customers, dutifully praised their creations, only sneaking to dispose of the inedible baked goods once the boys were sufficiently distracted.

As they grew older, their sandbox bakery evolved into slightly more conventional settings - namely, their respective family kitchens. No ingredient was safe from their experimental grasp. Sugar was often mistaken for salt, baking powder for baking soda, leading to some rather remarkable taste sensations and, in some cases, kitchen explosions of a minor sort. 

One memorable attempt involved the innovative use of ketchup and gherkins in what was meant to be a chocolate cake. The resulting dish, described by Gerald's stoic father as 'uniquely flavored', remains a legend in the annals of their culinary disasters. 

Harvey’s mother still recalled with a shudder the “Great Mustard Cookie Incident,” where her pantry was left mustard-less and the house smelled like a hotdog stand for days. The cookies, rather predictably, were as appealing as a set of socks at Christmas, although the dog did seem to develop a temporary liking for them.

Each botched attempt, however, only spurred them on, refining their techniques, honing their palates, and teaching them the most important lesson of all: not every kitchen experiment is destined for deliciousness. But oh, the joy of trying! And so, with each trial and tribulation, their dream of opening a bakery lived on, nurtured by determination, spiced with resilience, and leavened with a healthy dash of humour.

By their late teens, they'd become talented bakers. Yet, as they grew and honed their craft, they began to specialize in different areas of the baking spectrum.

Gerald found his passion in the structured beauty of cakes. He reveled in the alchemical transformation of mundane ingredients into towering, frosted masterpieces. The intricate pipework, the glossy fondant, the tiers of layered decadence – it was to him what grand symphonies are to a music maestro.

Harvey, on the other hand, fell in love with pies. He appreciated their humble origins, their comforting simplicity, and their promise of surprises within. He found joy in crafting the perfect flaky crust, in sourcing the freshest fruits, and in the artful latticework that hinted at the delights waiting beneath.

Their shared dream of opening a bakery transformed into a friendly rivalry. A cake from Gerald, a pie from Harvey, a challenge issued, a gauntlet thrown. It began as light-hearted banter, but as they honed their skills, the competition grew more intense.

It was the midsummer’s eve, a day that was known to make even the most level-headed Crumblingtonian act slightly more sprightly. The heat was scorching enough to bake a scone on the sidewalk, and the community had gathered at the annual Midsummer Bake-Off, eagerly anticipating some mouth-watering respite from the relentless sun.

The stage was set. Gerald and Harvey, emboldened by their recent kitchen victories, decided to present their latest masterpieces. Gerald had prepared a summer berry cake with a mirror glaze so shiny it could blind a magpie. Harvey, on the other hand, had baked a strawberry rhubarb pie, its golden crust cradling the tangy sweet filling, tempting as a sin.

The judging was serious business, with their friends adopting furrowed brows and solemn nods that would put an antique appraiser to shame. They dissected each dessert with the precision of a heart surgeon, every crumb analyzed, every bite critiqued.

Victory went to Gerald. His cake was declared a triumph, with one overly dramatic friend declaring, "I've seen the face of God in this cake!" Harvey's pie, while scrumptious, was dubbed slightly less divine. 

That night, amid the laughter and the cheer, something changed. For the first time, Gerald and Harvey looked at each other not as partners in their baking dream, but as rivals. A kernel of competition was sown, watered by the taste of victory and defeat. 

They found themselves evaluating each other's creations not as enthusiastic taste-testers, but as competitors. Their conversations were punctuated with veiled comments and subtle digs. Every successful recipe became a point scored, every failed experiment a victory for the other.

The taste of the competition was no longer sweet; it had a hint of bitterness that neither had noticed before. Their shared dream had subtly transformed from a shared ambition into a personal conquest. And thus, from the sugary rubble of the Midsummer Bake-Off, the great baking rivalry of Crumblington was born, its roots as deep and bitter as a well-brewed cup of black coffee.

Indeed, the bitter aftertaste of competition seemed to linger on their tongues long after the Midsummer Bake-Off. Every subsequent interaction was marked with a layer of competitive frosting, and their shared dream of opening a bakery had turned into a crusty bun of contention.

Their friendly baking sessions took on a gladiatorial air. A simple suggestion like, "Maybe add more butter?" was met with the defensive retort, "Perhaps you should mind your own pies!" 

At the annual Crumblington Halloween Party, Gerald's pumpkin-spice cake was declared "just a notch above satisfactory" by Harvey, who himself had prepared an apple-caramel pie, receiving from Gerald a review that it was "edible, at least." 

Their Christmas showdown became the stuff of local legend. Gerald, armed with a Yule log so beautiful it would make Santa blush, and Harvey, carrying a mince pie that promised a jolly journey to a Christmas wonderland, faced off in a silent duel. The townsfolk, trying to pick a side, were left as confused as turkeys voting for Thanksgiving.

Even their dog, a lovely beagle named Nutmeg, found himself at the center of their rivalry, with Gerald and Harvey constantly vying for his culinary approval. The poor dog, not known for his discerning palate, found his diet oscillating between cake crumbs and pie bits, leading to an unfortunate bout of indigestion and a stern warning from the vet about the perils of overindulgence.

Their conversations, once filled with dreams and laughter, were now a series of competitive one-upmanship. The warm friendship that had been the foundation of their shared dream was crumbling faster than an overbaked cookie. The bitterness of the rivalry had seeped into their camaraderie, leaving behind a hollow echo of their once joyous bond.

The rivalry came to an apex during the annual Crumblington Bake-Off. The event, usually attended by locals hoping for a slice of apple pie or a taste of vanilla sponge cake, had taken on an air of anticipation that year. People had begun placing bets, friendships were tested, and pastry preferences were discussed in hushed, serious tones. The Bake-Off, like the bakers themselves, had grown larger than life.

The day of the competition arrived. Gerald, sporting his white apron with a designer's flair, was poised with his six-layered chocolate cake with a raspberry filling that could make a grown man weep. Harvey, in his well-worn apron splattered with the memories of past battles, had brought forth a peach pie with a cinnamon-infused lattice crust that could warm the coldest hearts.

The competition grew heated. Words were exchanged, ingredients were criticized, techniques were belittled. The good-natured competition of the past was now a fierce battle of egos and skills. The tension was palpable, the air filled with the scent of freshly baked goods and resentment.

In a moment that no one anticipated, what should have been a playful flour-fight turned into a full-blown food fight. With a swift movement, Gerald launched a handful of flour at Harvey, which hit him with the soft poof sound that only a flour-attack can make. In retaliation, Harvey returned fire with a sticky ball of dough. Before anyone could stop them, the baking table was a battlefield and their creations were forgotten casualties of war.

When the final granule of airborne flour had found its resting place, Gerald and Harvey stood amidst the battlefield of their baking dreams. Their creations, which had once held the promise of sugar-spun perfection, were now more like fallen soufflés – sad, deflated monuments to their ambitions.

Their shared dream of a bakery seemed as distant as a perfectly baked croissant at the end of a gluten-free rainbow. Around them, the battleground was littered with the casualties of their culinary clash: a frosting smear here, a rogue berry there, and a pie crust that looked as if it had seen better days (and indeed, it had).

In the quiet, with the sweet scent of their ruined dreams around them, they looked at each other. And they laughed. They laughed at the absurdity of it all, the futile egos, the pointless competition. As they laughed, the years of rivalry melted away into a soft, warm butter. 

In the wreckage of their culinary battlefield, something caught Gerald’s eye. Amidst the ruin of sponge and pastry, a lone stick of butter had somehow survived the gastronomic fray, looking as out of place as a diet plan in a bakery. Next to it was a bag of sugar, spilling its sweet grains like a sand clock marking the passage of their battle. A few feet away, an untouched bowl of mixed berries sat, looking plump and promising.

Inspiration struck Gerald like a bolt from a slightly deranged muse who'd been baking in the sun too long. He turned to Harvey, who was attempting to extract his chef’s hat from a particularly stubborn dough splash. “Harvey, do you remember that one time we tried to invent our own dessert?”

Harvey looked skeptical, his face screwing up in an expression that closely resembled a prune. “You mean the time we ended up with the Banana-Beetroot Tarts? The ones that even the raccoons wouldn't touch?"

“No, no,” Gerald said, waving him off. “The other time.”

A flicker of remembrance dawned on Harvey’s face. “Oh, you mean the Chocolate Chip-Cheese Twists. The ones that even Crumble couldn't…”

“No!” Gerald interrupted, a little impatient now. “The other other time, when we ended up creating something that didn’t send us running for a bucket.”

Recognition lit up Harvey’s face. “Ah, the Berry Butter Blasts!” he said, a hint of their old camaraderie returning to his voice. 

With a shared understanding, they set to work. The stick of butter was melted, the sugar mixed in. The bowl of berries was crushed, creating a vibrant mix of tangy sweetness. The remaining dough was salvaged, kneaded with an extra dash of hope, and shaped into small rounds. The melted butter mixture was spooned onto the dough, the crushed berries carefully spread on top. 

Into the oven went their impromptu creation, the Berry Butter Blasts, a culinary phoenix rising from the ashes of their baking battlefield. As the aroma filled the air, sweet and comforting, a bit of their old friendship seeped back into their hearts, displacing the bitterness of rivalry. Who knew that a disaster could yield such a delicious creation? It was, after all, just another twist in the doughy saga of their baking dreams.

As the Berry Butter Blasts cooled on the wire rack, they looked remarkably like miniature sunsets, radiant with the promise of sweetness. Gerald and Harvey, still dusted with flour and speckled with remnants of their epic baking clash, found themselves looking at their new creation with something akin to awe, like archaeologists who'd stumbled upon a rare pastry fossil.

They each took a piece, biting into the fruity, buttery confection. The taste was a revelation - a perfect blend of tangy berries and sweet, melt-in-your-mouth pastry. It was an edible apology, a sugary olive branch, a tasty peace treaty.

Gerald turned to Harvey, his eyes sparkling with a mirth that hadn't been there in too long. "You know," he began, his voice rich with the undertones of reconciliation, "we make a pretty good team when we're not trying to out-bake each other."

Harvey, his mouth full of the Berry Butter Blast, could only nod. He swallowed, a slow grin spreading across his face, matching Gerald's. "I guess we do, huh?"

A quiet understanding bloomed between them, sweet and warm like their fresh bakes. Their dream of opening a bakery wasn't just about winning; it was about creating, experimenting, and sharing the joy of baking.

As the sun set, casting long, buttery shadows across the battlefield-turned-bakery, they began to clean up the remnants of their baking duel. The bitterness of the past seemed to recede, swept away like so much errant flour.

Under the shared laughter and the easy camaraderie, their rivalry had cooled down, just like their freshly baked Berry Butter Blasts. Their dream was back on the menu, the bakery they'd always envisioned now seemed more like a reachable star than a distant galaxy.

And as Crumblington settled down for the night, there was a promise hanging in the air, subtle yet hopeful, much like the lingering scent of the Berry Butter Blasts. The baking saga of Gerald and Harvey was far from over, but one thing was certain - it was going to be a delicious journey. As they say, when life gives you flour, sugar, and butter, you make a bakery. Or at least, you keep trying until you do, and you make sure you're doing it with a good friend by your side.

June 15, 2023 05:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.