2 comments

Drama Kids

This woman was definitely a stalker. The child widened his eyes in disbelief as his social worker led a tall woman into the living area, calling for his attention.

His foster carer, Christine, had prepared him the night before. If things went smoothly, he’d have a forever home. A parent. A Mom. He chose his best outfit to wear for the occasion, wanting to make the best first impression for their introduction. He was excited, but also apprehensive. Worry churned his insides. What if his prospective parent decided to back out? Like that other family. He had gotten cold feet, but Christine had reassured him that things would be different.

Now, he was at a loss for words. He’d recognize that head of puffy hair anywhere, though it was now secured in a bun at the crown of her head.

“Come on, Theo. I’d like you to meet someone.” Mrs. Ellis, his social worker called. 

Theo ran a nervous hand through his dark brown curls and fiddled with his crisp shirt. Smoothening nonexistent creases. Christine made light conversation with both women as Theo took his sweet time walking over to them. 

The child’s shoe got caught on the rug, causing him to trip and stumble a bit before righting himself. 

“Are you okay there, buddy?” Christine tilted her head. He was acting rather odd today.

“Yep!” He squeaked. 

Mrs. Ellis gently placed her hand on the small of Theo’s back and brought him to stand in front of the taller woman. His eyes made contact with hers and he was sure. This was-

“Theo, I would like you to meet Jasmine. Jasmine Jackson.” Mrs. Ellis introduced.

Remembering his manners, the child stuck out a trembling hand. Should he say he was familiar with this woman? Wait, if he says something, would this cause a hiccup for his adoption? She was going to be his new parent. He should play dumb for the moment. He didn’t want to mess this up.

“Pleased to meet you Mo--Ma’am.” The child caught himself at the last minute. Way to go Theo. Almost calling her Mom. That’s what most likely made the last family run away. He was getting too excited.

Jasmine flashed him a dazzling smile that lit up her eyes. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Theo. I’m excited to get to know you.” Her voice was full of mirth, as always. 

Oh, so she was playing along!

“Likewise.” The boy finally allowed an awkward smile to adorn his features. 

“Has anyone told you how adorable you are?” Jasmine chirped. This caused a blush to stain the child’s cheeks.

Once deeming it appropriate to leave, Mrs. Ellis lightly clapped her hands, announcing her departure. The party of three waved the woman off. Once they were alone, Christine escorted Jasmine to the living room where Theo trailed behind.

“Where to start, where to start?” Christine contemplated.

Jasmine crossed her legs and fished into the tote bag she was carrying. “I brought a scrapbook for Theo. Just a little something to see what my home is like.” She held the book to her chest, rubbing delicate circles on the surface. “It isn’t much, but I thought it would be something he'd want to see. Curiosity and all that.” 

“Go ahead.” Christine grinned while Theo accepted the book from Jasmine. The ten-year-old wasted no time ripping open the book.

“I'm sure you’ve read about it in his profile but Theo is a relatively quiet child. He’s shy but comes out of his shell once he gets to know you.” Christine gave Theo a sideways glance. He was preoccupied with flipping through the decorated pages of the book. Mesmerized by the colors and designs.

“He tends to have a temper when provoked or annoyed, but he is quick to correct it. All he wants is to be heard and someone who can be patient with him. He doesn’t like to be talked at but wants to be talked to. He wants adults to treat him with respect, and in turn, he will do the same. He’s a very strong-willed child but is sweet and makes excellent conversation.”

Jasmine slowly nodded her head as she absorbed the information she was receiving.

“Theo has a passion for all things arts and crafts, as well as sports. He loves soccer the most. In terms of school, he’s a great student but he tends to get distracted easily, so he needs a firm hand in that department. He usually plays video games, or watches television until 10 o’clock.”

Theo peered over the top of the book as he slouched on the couch. Jasmine was being extremely attentive. It’s not like she didn’t know most of that stuff already. But there she was, like a student taking tips of what was coming on an upcoming exam.

Theo blew out a whimsical sigh. He still couldn't believe it. She was here. He remembered the day he met her. It was sometime in May last year.

The nine-year-old put a sturdy foot on his board and pushed off with the other. The wind slapped his face while he rolled down the concrete pathway. Ok. He could do this. He practised like, a kajillion times on the grass. Theo placed his back foot on the tail of the board after positioning his front foot in the middle, he bent his knees getting ready to jump, but was taken completely by surprise when the skateboard immediately halted, causing him to tumble forward, landing on the concrete.

Theo hissed in pain, rolling on his back while cradling his elbow. “Ow!” 

He laid there for a while before rising once more. His eyes appraised what had caused his trick to fumble and gave it a potent glare. Theo picked up his skateboard once more and kicked the pebble. “Stupid rock!”

He traipsed back to where he first started and repeated his actions, this time being mindful of any stones. Theo bent his knees, preparing to jump. He kicked down on the tail of the board, once he was in the air, he quickly slid his leading food to the top end of the board before pushing it down once more. He made sure to keep his knees slightly bent to absorb most of the shock.

Theo’s eyes widened when he realized what he just did. Wowza! He really did that! He allowed the board to roll to a halt and hopped off. “Ha! All that Youtube paid off!” He energetically pumped his fists in the air.

Loud clapping caused him to jump and he turned around. A lone woman occupied a park bench. “Great job!”

Theo cleared his throat and scratched his head, waving at the woman in response. He momentarily winced in discomfort. His body ached from falling so much. Picking up his skateboard, the child walked over to the bench where the woman was perched.

“That was a nasty fall back there.” The woman commented. 

Theo just nodded his head and slumped on the bench. All he had to do was not move and the pain would subside.  

“How did you learn to skate like that? Self-taught?” The woman tried to spark a conversation. 

The first thing he noticed was her denim jacket. Wasn’t she hot? He was wearing his muscle shirt and shorts, yet he was roasting! It was like, a quintillion degrees out! His eyes trailed up her body, she wasn't even breaking a sweat. He noticed she had her hair fashioned in a pair of afro puffs, and black vintage oval sunglasses sat on the bridge of her nose. 

“I like your style, lady.” Theo found himself saying.

“Thank you, young man!” She ruffled his curls but immediately removed her hands. “Sorry! I got carried away there. I shouldn’t have touched your hair. I know I get tight when someone tries that with me.” She gestured to her hair.

“S’fine!” He insisted. 

A bandage was placed in his field of vision and he gave her a quizzical expression in return. “For your elbow.” She explained.

Theo accepted the adhesive with a nod of his head. “Why do you have these?” 

“I happen to jog around here. I carry those incase I trip, or something.” The woman explained while giving him a cheery smile. 

“I also happened to see you a few times whenever I came about. You’ve been working hard on your tricks.”

Theo’s neck snapped up to the woman. “You’re a stalker?!” 

“Calm down, young man.” The woman crossed her legs. “I said I just happened to see you around whenever I jogged. I’m not planning on kidnapping you.”

Theo side-eyed her but didn't say anything else. “You’re too pretty to be a stalker anyway.” And with that, Theo got up and rolled off on his board.

A month later, the child found himself lounging on a tree branch at the park, he’d gotten some particularly aggravating news and he just wanted to be left by his lonesome. His nose flared at what had transpired earlier. Hot tears made his vision swim and he furiously wiped his eyes. Breathe. Breathe. He took a deep breath and exhaled. Be calm.

Amid his sorrow, Theo found himself comforted by a wayward breeze. Its delicate hands dried his tears. Its presence, soothing, all but fleeting. The chorus of rustling leaves did plenty to lull his senses.

Theo didn’t know how long he stayed in the tree when he decided to get down. He landed on the grass and was startled by a bloodcurdling scream, evoking a sound of surprise from him.

The boy turned around and came into contact with the lady from a month prior. “Are you really stalking me?” He deadpanned. 

The lady held her chest. “Young man, I assure you, I’m not stalking you. I was out for a jog.” She gestured to her workout attire. “I was taking a mini-break.” The lady glanced at her watch and got up. ”Break's over.” She gave a wave and was off.

Theo watched the woman walk onto the concrete pathway, resuming her exercise. The child didn’t know what came over him but he ran after her. 

“No skateboard today, young man?” She queried.

“Theo.” He corrected. “I thought a jog every once in a while would be nice.” He shrugged.

“Okay. You can call me..” She mused for a while. “..JJ.”

Theo nodded his head and kept up with her as she jogged.

One afternoon, Theo had found himself at a convenience store, he got himself a bottle of Mountain Dew and a bag of hot Cheetos when JJ appeared. He was taken by surprise when she offered to pay for his snacks, even allowing him to choose a few more of his liking.

They found themselves at the park once more and he munched on his cookies while they conversed. “Huh? Certification? What for?”

JJ sipped her orange juice before answering him. “Something I plan to do in the near future. Just have to do a few more interviews and make sure I don’t have any criminal record.”

“You’re not a felon, right?” He looked at her before they burst into laughter. 

“I swear. I am not a stalker and most definitely not a felon.” JJ crossed her heart. 

Theo nibbled on another cookie before a question tumbled out of his mouth without much thought. “Don’t you have a boyfriend or something?” Grown-ups usually hung around with other grow-ups. At least that’s what he saw on TV. From what he knows, she just jogs in the park and works as a Physiotherapist. 

“I’m single by choice, young man.” JJ affectionately rubbed the boy’s head. Theo smiled and leaned into the older woman’s touch.

The following month Theo was extremely uneasy. A family was coming to meet him. If things go swimmingly, he’d finally have a home to call his. He’d have stability. That’s all he wanted. But if he left, he wouldn’t be able to see JJ again. He worried his lip during his jog with the older woman. 

“Hey, JJ.” Theo started. 

“Yea?” 

“Uhm..if I had to stop coming, would you miss me?” 

He watched as JJ halted her movements and wiped her chin, they jogged more laps than usual today. Theo was restless, anxious of her answer, so he continued to jog in place, then transitioning into jumping jacks. 

“Yes, I’d miss you. You’re great company. And an excellent jogging partner.” She extended her fist. Theo stopped jumping and looked at her. “For real? You would?” His voice shook.

Theo’s lip trembled, he sniffled and finally connected his fist with hers. 

“Aw, buddy. Don’t cry!” JJ pulled the boy into a hug to which he gladly returned.

The next week passed and he waited at the park for JJ. He checked his watch. She usually came around this time. The family that he had introductions with decided to back out. He didn’t feel particularly sad. He was used to stuff like that. People tend to be unreliable.

Theo checked his watch again and was startled by a voice. JJ was sitting next to him. “You seemed to be deep in thought. I called you twice.” 

The child shook his head. “It’s nothing. Ready?” He jumped off the bench.

The duo made the first circuit before JJ broke the silence. “Remember I told you I was getting certification for something?” Theo nodded his head.

“Well, I’m going to be busy with that for a while,” JJ explained. “I have to take a few classes and some loose ends need to be tied.”

“Oh.” What else could he say? Theo knew that she’d be busy. JJ had mentioned it a few times before and he could only imagine how hectic it must be. At least to his understanding.

“So, you won’t be coming around anymore?” He looked up at her.

JJ couldn’t bear to look at him. “Not for a while.”

Theo sighed. “I get it.” 

“Here’s what. Next time I see you, I’ll take you out to eat. My treat.” She beamed.

“I’m holding you to that, JJ.” He pointed at her.

“Jasmine.” She corrected. “Jasmine Jackson.”

“And that’s about it.” Christine finished giving her briefing to Jasmine. 

“Thank you so, so much, Christine. I appreciate this.” Jasmine looked over to Theo with a smile. 

“I actually brought a meal with me to share with Theo. Is it okay?” The woman queried the other.

“Of course. I’ll leave the two of you alone for a while. I hope you enjoy your visit.” Christine gave Theo a thumbs up before she left.

Jasmine beckoned the child over and he wasted no time in joining her. “You were going to adopt me?” He queried in disbelief.

Jasmine excitedly nodded her head. “I had no idea at first. But when I saw that we were a match, I couldn’t resist.” She took out the bowls of food. “I remember you once said you love tacos, so I took the liberties of making some.”

Theo opened the bowl Jasmine gave him and his mouth watered at the scent and sight.

He wasted no time sinking his teeth into the crunchy taco shell. It was delicious. 

Jasmine spectated as Theo put down his food and wiped his eyes before throwing himself at her, squeezing her in a hug. “I love you.” He whimpered.

“Aw, buddy. I love you too.” Jasmine whispered while hugging the child with as much force as she could muster.

“I know I promised you the next time we saw each other I’d take you out to eat. But would tomorrow work?” She wiped his tears.

Theo nodded his head with a watery smile. “I’m still holding you to that, Mom.”

August 27, 2020 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sophia A.
17:40 Aug 31, 2020

Beautifully written!

Reply

Raquel Archer
17:44 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.