6 comments

Crime Fiction Suspense

14th March 2004

Sarah

She stubbed her cigarette out on the windowsill and closed the long sash window. It was still raining outside, but there was something beautiful about Manhattan when the weather turned. The lights from the traffic and street lamps lit the tiny droplets of rain as they splashed into puddles. Sarah had always loved the way that New York remained busy no matter what time it was. She glanced at the red lights on her bedside alarm clock. 01:34. ‘I won’t be able to sleep tonight’, she thought, as she checked her reflection in the mirror and swept her immaculate fringe behind her tiny ears. 

Sarah looked around the room of the small apartment and sighed. She straightened up the books on the shelf and moving the cushions into line on her bed. ‘How anyone can live in a place this small is beyond me’, she thought, her face flushing as she impatiently nudged an old armchair out of her way.

Everything in Sarah’s world was just so. The way she moved, the way she spoke, the way she lived was in complete order. She had a petite, 5 foot 1 inch frame which gave her the freedom to dress in crisp, fitted outfits and her pale flawless skin never needed any make up. 

She had made the long trip from Italy to New York 3 weeks earlier. The longing and churning in her stomach had not subsided since she had touched down and she had attempted to keep herself busy whilst waiting for him to arrive. She noticed that she had lost weight as she looked sideways into the long mirror. Her small frame was swamped by the petite green dress she wore. He had always loved that dress on her. He said it brought out her emerald green eyes and complemented her auburn hair.  She thought about the last time she had worn it. The red wine stain was barely visible at the hem now.  She recalled their passionate relationship and her anxiety levels rose. She hugged her arms around her body and willed herself to calm down. Not long now, she thought. Reunited after 3 years.

David

David was excited. He had never flown in first class before. He looked around the cabin and could only see 5 other people.  He stretched his legs out as long as he could and grinned. ‘How could I possibly fly economy after this?’ He thought, as he looked through the drinks menu and adjusted his seat. He hadn’t felt this relaxed in a long time. 

It had been a difficult 3 years as he had adjusted to life without Sarah. Their relationship had been equally as passionate as it had been painful and it had taken a long time for him to heal. He ran his hands through his thick dark hair as he recounted the last time he saw her. His broad shoulders tensed as he recalled the last time they had seen each other. He hadn’t been able to get close to anyone since and had thrown himself into his career. He felt he was reaching a time where he was able to open his heart again. He took a deep breath and reclined his chair back as the lights dimmed and the plane took off. 8 hours later he would be making one of the most important decision of his life.

The plane began to level off and the lights dimmed. The cabin crew brought out a night cap and light snack and David stared out over the clouds. ‘I wonder what she would look like now,’ he thought, as he drifted off to sleep.

Sarah                                                                                                                                  

Sarah was restless. 5 hours had passed and finally it was time for her to get a cab to Washington Publishing Company. She sat up and winced as her neck had stiffened from sitting upright in the armchair for too long. ‘One foot in front of the other,’ she thought, as she made her way down the stairs and into the street. She had never had a problem hailing a cab and she glided straight out into the road and waved one down with her gloves. 

“Morning” the taxi driver said.

“Morning” Sarah clipped and rolled her eyes as he looked her up and down. “Washington Publishing Company please” she said and promptly lifted the New York Times in front of her face. 

Sarah couldn’t stand small talk and she was so nervous now she couldn’t think straight. She had waited so long to see his face again.

David

The lights in the cabin flickered on and David opened his eyes. He had never been able to sleep on a plane before, but this was a whole other experience. He pulled the seat upright and went to freshen up. He splashed cold water onto his face and thought about the chance of a fresh start.

It didn’t take long for the passengers to leave the plane and make their way to the baggage area. David felt he had a spring in is step. He had thought long and hard about this trip and decided to take the plunge 3 weeks earlier when his company had merged with a company in New York. The partnership had been hailed as a “match made in heaven” by the New York Times and he felt ready for a new challenge. As he left the airport he remembered the last time he had visited New York with Sarah. They had argued the entire trip. His face saddened as he made his way to the taxi rank.

David hailed a cab and jumped in.

“Morning drive”, he said, “gorgeous day” he smiled, “Washington Publishing Company please”.

Sarah

Sarah began to feel really nervous. She couldn’t believe that they were going to meet again. It had taken the taxi just under an hour to arrive at the Publishing Company. She was early. She hated being early for anything. It made her anxious and now she would need to fill the time. David was due in 45 minutes so she decided to make her way to the nearest coffee house. She would be able to check her appearance and wait for his arrival. She settled into a corner seat with a full view and ordered an espresso. She pulled out her copy of the New York Times and pawed over the pages.

David 

David felt relaxed. He loved watching the New York skyline appear. It always gave him a thrill. He sent messages home to family and friends to let them know he had arrived safely and settled into the journey and chatted happily to the driver as he gazed out of the window. 

Sarah

45 minutes later and a yellow cab pulled up outside the Publishing House. David got out of the car. His large frame loomed as he hoisted his case out of the boot and returned to pay the taxi fayre. Sarah held her breath. She was sure it was him but it had been a long time.

“Turn around” she whispered, as she willed him to face her direction so that she could be sure.

David stretched and turned to face the coffee shop. His face was unmistakable. Kind eyes and square jaw. Large mop of dark hair. ‘He looked well,’ Sarah thought. ‘Relaxed.’

She stood up and put a 10 dollar bill on top of the New York Times. She went to the bathroom to tidy herself up. A waitress came over, cleared the table and frowned. The New York Times was dated 25th February, 3 weeks earlier. She turned to find the customer that had left it there but she had vanished.

Sarah splashed her face and tucked her hair behind her ears. She took a deep breath and left the coffee shop.

David

David walked into the Publishing House. The building was as impressive. Made mostly of glass mirrors and windows, the reflections were disorientating but beautiful. The design gave the building a sense of open space. ‘It was perfect,’ he thought.

Sarah

Sarah made her way across the road to the large glass building. She stopped and admired the beautiful long glass walls in the entrance hall. She turned to check her reflection in the wall by the escalator. ‘Perfect,’ she thought.

David

David pressed the button for the escalator.

 “Hi David”, Sarah said.

His heart sank.

 “Saw your ridiculous article in the New York Times” Sarah sniped. “Thought we could reminisce the good times we had in New York.”

“You’re not supposed to talk to me. You are not supposed to be anywhere near me Sarah”, David’s voice wobbled. He could feel his body getting hot and his palms began to sweat.

David took a few steps back and Sarah lunged at him. As her hands hit his chest, he moved and she stopped wobbling on the edge of the balcony.  

“No” she said, her lip wobbling.

David reached out to stop her fall. Her body swayed back and forth and eventually her tiny frame fell far below into the main reception. 

David stood there frozen. Her tiny frame bent out of shape. The green dress torn. Her red hair lying in a pool of blood and he wept. 

March 22, 2023 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

12:29 Sep 05, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:48 Apr 01, 2023

The dual perspective really worked well. This was really fun to read. How we could slowly see they have very different personalities, and their backstory was revealed bit by bit. Great tension and suspense. Describing her appearance through thoughts about what David likes felt really natural. I remember reading its a good idea to give visuals by filtering them through internal reactions or other characters. I saw your story on critique circle. I did spot one or two issues I can't seem to find now, if you use a free grammar checker (prowrit...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Glenda Toews
15:46 Mar 29, 2023

As a reader I enjoyed the perspectives jumping back and forth, and I loved the surprise ending!

Reply

09:08 Mar 30, 2023

Thank you Brenda :-) I’ve just joined Reedsy and it’s so fun using the prompts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Rush
19:41 Mar 27, 2023

Carly! Oh my gosh! I didn't see that coming! I thought these were lovers. You did such a great job hiding that ending. I was stunned when David said Sarah couldn't be around him. When it comes to a couple, do we just automatically assume that anxious anticipation means they're in love and eager to be reunited? Are we all just suckers for a great love story? Wait! Am I just a sucker for a great love story? And Sarah dies!! Shocker! A tragic love story! Carly, this could so easily be expanded into a much larger short story. There is so much...

Reply

14:13 Mar 28, 2023

Thank you for this really helpful feedback Mike! I think I’ll spend some time expanding the story as you suggested :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.