An expected visitor

Submitted into Contest #31 in response to: Write a short story about someone heading home from work.... view prompt

1 comment

General

The dark fleecy clouds hang in the sky my days work was about to come to an end and I was just winding up my stuff. The one thing I have to look forward is the promotions coming up next week. And it is going to be a hefty and delightful one I could really get my chance and when I will finally start saving money maybe I could buy my dream house. But for the while I decided not to worry about. Because of this already weary day and now I remember that on going home I would have a long list of chores to execute. Because a grand dinner would be held because my paternal aunt will be coming from Switzerland. I was just done putting my laptop in my bag when I checked my mobile and in the notification bar I read a message which appeared about a minute ago. IT was from my mother saying to come back home as soon as possible but she didn’t had to as I already was. When I was finally done I went outside I observed the angelic scenic beauty I could hear birdsong; and from time to time a stronger gust of wind would make one of the branches of a cedar

or a fir move against another and groan like a cello. It was a warm pleasure for my ears

the sun was just about to set and up ahead the road I could see pools of brown-green shade; and the light was never still,

 between bars and never constant, because drifting mist would often float among the treetops, filtering all the sunlight. My orange car was purring down the smooth road. My house wasn't far from my workplace and there wasn't any terror of a prolonged traffic jam so within ten minutes I was in front of the white door and stepped inside the house. Every tile was polished and furnished as never seen before, the sweet smell of delectable was lingering in every part of the house. I was very enthusiastic about tonight's dinner and was very eagerly looking forward to it.

I made my way into the kitchen where my mother was indulged in the vegetables which she was meritoriously cutting. "Good Afternoon mother you asked me to come home as soon as possible may I ask why." "James apple of my eyes please be a dear son and do me a favor can you go and pick Aunt Linda from the airport and on the way please run some errands and here is the list of things which need to be bought that all!"

She finished with her order. As for me I heartily drank a glass of ice cold water to moist my parched she replied a uncertain answer

of about twenty to twenty-five minutes. I left the house with a sense of pride and to really admit I was too a little enthralled by my aunt's visit. I drove at my average speed of eighty mph. It was a place of brilliant sunlight, never dappled. Shafts of lemon-gold brilliance lanced and the bright sunlight almost blinded me. Further hurdles waited for me first one was the dilemma to park.

The parking lot was in a unruly state the cars were parked in the most unethical way possible. As I penetrated the airport the orchestral sounds of horns honking, people chatting and the footsteps hitting the pavement this hostile cacophony made my head dizzy and light.

However I found my spot before the time would have completely escaped from my loose grasp. Finally when I was in the airport the people were flowing like river never stopping for obstacles but swirling around them. It was difficult to pass through the unseen faces flowing passing me to their destinations. I instantly realized my mistake of slipping in the tough crowd but otherwise I would have also regretted. At that moment I wanted more than anything to escape from the rough shoving, shouting and pushing. Every moment it was as if the air was lacking which overwhelm my senses and emotions. I heard another ring of notification on my phone and despite the circumstances I managed to read. Good I thought it gave me her plane number that will be one less thing to worry about.

I didn't faced much obscurity in finding my Aunt because she was a shrewd chick. She was much smarter than before, the freckles. Her expression was stout and stern but her smile was ambient.

We shook hands. She had bright eyes in the shade of blue.

Her nature didn't seem nondescript like most middle aged women but within minutes she amused me with her witty jokes and humorous facts, I gave her a beam smile and she returned. Being with her didn't made me realize of the time until we arrived back home. My mother was overjoyed to see her older sister after a long time. My house had all the optimistic spirits were lingering around the house making it a joyful place. The dinner table was overcrowded with pork, delectable desserts and the sweet wine.

Despite such ostensibly display not much attention was heeded to the food but the three enthralled people were sharing their life experience with one another. Finally my aunt turned to me. "So how is the Man of the house progressing?." She inquired.

"Quite well!" I replied and we burst into a brief laughter but recovered quickly. "What are your future plans and I am dead serious about this question!". I knew that. "Well as I have told you I have pursued a degree in software engineering and right now I am working in Intel and next week there are going to be interview for the promotions that are going to be set next week. She seemed to be listening to it with great attention and nodded her head viciously when I came to an end. “Well are you up for a late night cup of tea, I want to share a secret which has been daunting me for a quite long time.”

“Well I be delighted to know the secret” I replied trying to appear enthusiastic but deep down I was scared because I was never good at guarding secrets but at the same time I was also inquisitive as I am also a curious soul. An hour went by my mother despite her joyfulness she was getting sleepier and so she retired and went to sleep. Aunt Lizzy asked for a nice and warm cup of tea which she was soon provided with. ‘Well thank you my boy you are really a gentleman with ambient qualities.”

“Thank you for such Kind words Aunt you also possess benign qualities and about that what is the secret which you wanted to reveal.”

She was drinking and glared at me from the brink of the cup and when she was done she put it down. “James I have cancer!” She said casually as it was no big deal. My heart shuddered at the word. “Over the years in Switzerland I had been a venerable philanthropist and accumulated a great amount of wealth, for one of my children.” She stopped and then she continued:

“I had a daughter but she died and her absence deeply grieve me. I have a large fortune but no one to bestow but you were a qualifying candidate and I am electing you for the elections and you can win it in an instant, are you going to take a stand for it.”

I looked at her baffled. I never thought that an expected visitor can give you so much.

March 06, 2020 04:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Shifa Asif
17:10 Mar 10, 2020

IDGAF

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.