Blindsided by Love

Written in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Fiction

1.

I'm walking through the streets, my guitar slung over my shoulder. I've been homeless for as long as I can remember, but I've got my music to keep me going. It's the only thing that really matters to me. I'm not paying much attention to where I'm going, just lost in thought as I strum my guitar. Suddenly, I feel someone's presence. I turn to see a blind girl, her cane tapping against the pavement as she makes her way down the sidewalk.

She's struggling to navigate through the crowded street, and I feel a surge of irritation wash over me. I just want to be left alone, but she's in my way. I grumble to myself and try to step around her, but she seems to sense my presence and reaches out a hand towards me.

I feel a sudden urge to push her away, to get as far away from her as possible. But something stops me. Maybe it's the look of determination on her face, or the way her hands are clenched into fists. Whatever it is, I find myself drawn to her. I decide to follow her, keeping my distance as I watch her make her way through the city. She's strong, I can tell, and there's something about her that just seems familiar.

As we walk, I find myself composing a poem in my head. It's about a blind girl, lost in the city but determined to find her way. I pull out a piece of paper and start jotting it down, the words flowing easily onto the page.

2.

But as I write, I can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched. I glance over my shoulder and see a stray dog, its eyes fixed on me. I'm not one to be intimidated by a dog, but there's something about this one that makes me uneasy.

I turn back to the blind girl, but she's gone. I search the crowds for any sign of her, but she's nowhere to be found. I'm left standing in the middle of the street, my poem unfinished and my guitar feeling suddenly heavy on my shoulder. I wonder if I'll ever see her again, or if she was just a fleeting presence in my life. All I know is that, for the first time in a long time, I feel like I might have a purpose.

I continue walking, my mind racing as I try to piece together what just happened. I feel like I'm on a mission, like I'm some kind of detective trying to solve a mystery. I'm not sure what it is about the blind girl that has me so captivated, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to find her.

As I walk, I start to pay closer attention to my surroundings. I've always had a knack for picking up on cues about people, and I start to notice little details about the people around me. The way a man's suit fits tells me he's probably successful, while the frayed edges on a woman's coat indicate she might be struggling financially. I start to feel like Sherlock Holmes, piecing together a puzzle with just a few scattered clues. And as I walk, I can't help but feel like I'm getting closer and closer to finding the blind girl.

3.

As the day wears on, my search begins to feel more and more futile. I've searched every corner of the city and asked every person I've come across if they've seen her, but no one seems to have any information. I start to feel defeated, like I'm never going to find her. But then, just as I'm about to give up, I see her cane tapping against the pavement in the distance. I can't believe it. I've finally found her.

I rush towards her, my heart pounding in my chest. I want to let her know how much she's affected me. But as I get closer, I see that her face is contorted in anger. She seems to be just as irritated by my presence as I was by hers earlier.

I hesitate for a moment, unsure of what to do. But then I hear the strumming of my guitar and I know that it's my chance to show her what I've been working on. I pull out the piece of paper with my poem and begin to play and sing.

As I perform, I can see the anger melting from her face. She seems to be listening intently, and when I'm finished she reaches out a hand towards me. I take it, and for the first time all day, I feel a sense of connection with someone.

We stand there for a moment, holding hands and feeling the weight of the day's events. And as the sun sets on the city, I can't help but feel like I've finally found my place in the world.

4.

After we finish our impromptu performance on the streets, Jane and I stand there for a moment, not quite sure what to do next. We're both feeling a bit awkward, like we've just shared something really personal with each other and we're not sure what to do next.

Finally, I break the silence. "Do you want to go see a movie?" I ask, surprising myself with the suggestion.

Jane seems surprised too, considering her condition, but she nods her head. "Yes, I'd like that," she says.

I take her hand and lead her towards the nearest movie theater, still feeling a bit stunned by what just happened. I can't believe I'm actually going to a movie with a girl, especially one who's so different from anyone I've ever met.

We buy our tickets and find seats in the back of the theater, both of us a bit nervous as the lights dim and the previews start. I've never been to a movie with someone before, and I'm not sure what to expect. But as the movie starts, I find myself getting caught up in the story. I forget all about my nerves and just enjoy the moment, laughing at the funny parts and holding my breath during the action scenes.

And when the movie ends and the lights come up, I turn to see Jane smiling at me. "That was great." she says.

"Thank you for bringing me here."

I feel a warmth spread through my chest as I realize that I've actually had a good time. "No problem," I say, smiling back at her.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."

5.

We stand up and make our way out of the theater, both of us still feeling a bit awkward but also a bit excited about what might happen next. I'm not sure what the future holds for Jane and me, but for now, I'm just happy to have spent a day with someone who's made me feel more alive than I have in a long time.

As we leave the cinema, I can't shake the feeling that something has changed between Jane and me. I'm not sure what it is, but there's a sense of connection between us that wasn't there before.

I offer to walk Jane home, and she accepts, taking my hand as we make our way through the dark streets. We don't say much as we walk, but the silence between us feels comfortable and natural.

When we finally reach Jane's doorstep, I find myself hesitating. I don't want the evening to end, but I'm not sure what to do. I can sense Jane's anticipation as she stands there waiting for me to make a move.

So I lean in, my heart racing as I finally press my lips to hers. It's a tentative kiss at first, but as the seconds pass it deepens, becoming something more. We stand there in the doorway, our lips locked together as the clock strikes midnight. I can't believe this is happening, but I don't want it to end.

As we finally pull apart, we're both breathless. "Wow," Jane says, her blind eyes shining in the moonlight. "That was... unexpected."

I laugh, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders. "Yeah, it definitely was," I say. "But I'm glad it happened."

Jane smiles and takes my hand, and we stand there for a moment, just enjoying each other's company. I know that our paths may have been unlikely to cross, but I'm glad they did. Because in this moment, I feel more alive than I ever have before.

As we stand there on the doorstep, Jane turns to me and says something that takes me by surprise. "That movie reminded me of my childhood," she says, a wistful look in her eyes. "Even though I couldn't see the scenes, I could hear them, and it took me back to a time when everything felt possible."

I can sense that there's something more she wants to say, so I wait patiently for her to continue. After a moment, she takes a deep breath and begins to speak.

"When I was a child, my parents didn't want a blind daughter. They tried everything to make me see, but nothing worked. And eventually, they just gave up on me."

I can feel my heart breaking as she speaks, and I reach out to take her hand. "I'm so sorry, Jane," I say, my voice thick with emotion. "I can't even imagine what that must have been like for you."

She gives my hand a squeeze and smiles sadly. "It was hard, but I learned to survive. I learned to trust my other senses and to be independent. And in a way, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It made me strong."

I nod, understanding now why she seemed so familiar to me earlier. She's been through so much, and yet she's managed to find the strength to keep going. I admire her resilience and determination, and I feel grateful to have met someone like her.

We stand there for a moment, lost in our own thoughts. And then, as the silence stretches on, we both turn to each other and smile.

"I'm glad we met, Jack," Jane says.

"Me too, Jane," I reply, feeling a warmth spread through my chest.

We stand there for a moment longer, enjoying each other's company and the sense of connection that's grown between us.

6.

I'm back on the streets, my guitar slung over my shoulder and my heart still full of the memories of my day with Jane. I pull out the piece of paper with the poem I wrote earlier. I now complete it. My hands are shaking slightly as I read the words:

A blind girl in the city,

Lost and alone,

But she doesn't let that stop her,

She's determined to find her way home.

Her cane taps against the pavement,

As she makes her way through the crowds,

She may not have her sight,

But she's got her other senses loud.

She's strong and she's brave,

And she won't let anyone bring her down,

She's the kind of person who,

Wears a permanent smile, never a frown.

I may not know her well,

But I can sense that she's been through it all,

And yet she stands tall,

With a heart that's bigger than this city's wall.

So here's to the blind girl,

May she find her way home,

And may she always remember,

That she's never really alone.

I fold up the piece of paper and tuck it into my pocket, feeling a sense of pride wash over me. I never thought I had it in me to write something like this, but somehow, being around Jane brought out something in me that I never knew existed.

I strum my guitar and close my eyes, letting the music take me away as I think about the amazing day I just had.

7.

As I sit there on the streets, lost in my thoughts and the music, I suddenly feel a presence at my side. I open my eyes and see the stray dog that I noticed earlier, its eyes fixed on me with an intense gaze. I'm not sure how it found me again, but I'm glad to see it. It's a reminder of the unexpected twists and turns that life can take, and it makes me feel grateful for the moments of connection I've had with Jane and the dog.

I reach out a hand and scratch behind its ears, and it leans into my touch with a contented sigh. We sit there for a while, just enjoying each other's company, and I can't help but feel like this dog is somehow connected to everything that happened today.

As the night wears on and the city starts to quiet down, I pack up my guitar and stand up, feeling a sense of peace wash over me. I give the dog one last pat and turn to walk away, but it follows me, trotting along at my side as if it has somewhere it needs to be. I smile and shake my head, feeling a sense of companionship that I haven't felt in a long time.

We make our way through the empty streets, the dog and I, two lost souls brought together by chance. And as the dawn breaks on a new day, I can't help but feel hopeful about what the future might bring. I drift off to sleep on the streets, my mind is filled with memories of the day I spent with Jane. I can't stop thinking about the moment we kissed, the way it felt like everything else just melted away.

I close my eyes and let myself sink into the memory, reliving it in my dreams as if it's happening all over again. I feel Jane's soft lips against mine, the warmth of her body pressed against mine.

I don't know what the future holds for us, but in this moment, I don't care. All that matters is the way I feel when I'm with her, alive and full of hope.

As I dream, I can feel my worries melting away, replaced by a sense of peace and contentment that I haven't felt in a long time. And as the night wears on, I drift off into a deep, restful sleep, feeling more alive than I have in a long time.

January 05, 2023 22:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.