0 comments

Teens & Young Adult Sad

Mom always said life is not like the movies no matter how bad we want it to be. But why not? Why can't life be one big adventure?

"Madison are you day dreaming again? I told you to set the table."

"Sorry mom."

"Your dad will be home soon. Get your head out of the clouds child."

"My head is not in the clouds."

"Yeah its at the movies. Kids today need to be more responsible."

Ignoring my mother's comment I started to set the table. My dad had come home from work and I was sent upstairs to get my sister.

My sister Darcy was a year younger than me. but she always acted like she was already grown. You know fourteen going on thirty. For me being fifteen was old enough.Also whatever I liked she hated. But we were sisters and it was time for dinner.

"Mom can I go to the movies this weekend?"

"Not the movies again. Why do you waste your time at movie theaters?"

"Nobody was asking you Darcy. For your information its entertainment. Have you ever even been to a movie?"

"Girls not at the dimmer table."

"But mom!"

"You heard your mother no arguing at the dinner table. I'm sure there are other things you can talk about."

"Yes dad." I said sticking my tongue out at Darcy.

" Yeah real mature Maddy."

"If you girls are finished you can get started on the dishes. "

After the dishes I went to my room and Darcy went to hers. I was finishing my homework when my came in my room to say good night,

"Good night honey."

"Mom can I this weekend?"

"I suppose. Just remember."

"I know its just a movie."

At school the next day I asked my friend Brianna if she wanted to go to the movies with me.

"I would Maddy, but I'm going shopping."

"With who?"

"Vicky. Eleanor and Hannah. You could come with us. My mom is going to drop us off at the mall."

"No thanks I really wanted to go to the movies."

"Well, why don't you ask Arthur to go with you."

"I don't even like him."

"He likes you."

"I would rather go by myself,"

"Have fun."

She was smiling all the way to math class. Teasing me about Arthur. I was listening to the teacher when I looked around and saw Brianna whispering to Arthur.

Brianna you need to pay attention there will be a test on this tomorrow."

"Sorry Mr. Richards."

I looked over at Brianna and she just shrugged her shoulders. After class when we were standing by our lockers Brianna started complaining.

"Mr. Richards is just picking on me. I always pass his stupid tests,"

"What were you whispering to Arthur about anyway?"

"Madison I'll go with you to the movies."

I looked at Brianna . She just smiled and walked away waving goodbye.

"What time are you going>"

"I don't know Arthur,"

"Well, here is my phone number. Just call me."

He handed me a piece of paper and I just smiled at him. After he left I bawled it up and stuffed it in my pocket. Brianna is not going to have to worry about passing her math test because I am going to kill her.

The next day I hardly talked to Brianna. She had told all her girlfriends I was going to the movies with Arthur.

"Have fun on your date'"

I turned around and they were all standing there laughing.I closed my locker. As I walked away I could hear them laughing. Brianna ran to catch up with me.

"Why so glum Maddy?"

" Bri did you have to tell them"? I have to get home."

I didn't want to talk to talk to her or anybody. And I didn't want to go to the movies with Arthur either. I walked into the house staring at the floor I went up to my room and locked the door. I didn't even come down to eat. Crawled into bed and pulled the covers over my head, Silently crying went to sleep.

"Maddy if your going to the movies you need to get up and get ready. So your father can drop you off." I walked over to unlock my door, but it was already unlocked.

"I don't think I'm going today I changed my mind."

"What Maddy not going to the movies?"

"Darcy leave your sister alone. What made you change your mind honey?"

"I just feel like doing something else.

"Okay, your father and L are going to the store you can come with us."

"No I think I'll just stay home."

Are you okay honey? You seem a little down."

"I'm fine mom."

"If your going to stay home you can get started on the laundry."

"What about Darcy!"

"Darcy is going to the mall with her friends."

Mom and dad left for the store. I was still lying in bed when Darcy came in the room.

Okay , they're gone . What is the real reason you don't want to go to the movies? And why do you look like somebody just stole your favorite puppy?

I told her all about what happened with Brianna and Arthur. And the girls laughing at me at school. And they were also going to the mall today.

"Cheer up its not the end of the world. Hey , if I see her maybe I'll spill a drink on her or something."

I started to laugh. Imagining her reaction.

"She smiles. Stop moping. You and the laundry have fun. Oh by the way, you might want to call that boy and tell him what happened."

I laid in the bed for awhile longer. Darcy was right I should call him and tell him something. I got up to find the pants I wore that day,But I couldn't find them in my room. So I went downstairs to the basement to search the baskets. I searched every pocket of every pair of pants in those baskets. But i couldn't find the piece of paper with his number on it,

Then I remembered it was bawled up in my pocket. Maybe mom threw it away. Since I'm down here I better do at least one load, I picked up a pile of clothes and as I was stuffing them in the washing machine something fell on the floor.Looking down I didn't see anything. Without noticing I kicked something under the washer.

I started the washing machine and went back upstairs. L kept looking for it though.

After awhile mom and dad came home from the store. After helping with the groceries and with lunch I forgot all about calling Arthur. Then Darcy got home ftom the mall. I was sitting on the couch watching tv.

"Want to see what I got from the mall?"

"Sure."

I followed her up to her room and she took out this pretty blue dress from her bag. Then she pulled our a couple of tops that she bought.

"These are cute."

"Yeah, but I could't find any shoes to go with them. I did buy some perfume though. Wanna smell."

She grabbed the perfume bottle out of the bag and sprayed some on my wrist.

"That smells good."

"By the way Maddy did you ever call that boy."

"I forgot all about that. Couldn't find his number anyway. Probably got thrown away."

"Well, did you call any of your friends and asked them if they knew his number? What about Brianna?"

"No until you came home I forgot all about it,"

"How could you forget?"

"Well I was washing clothes and then mom and dad came home with the groceries. And why am I explaining this to you!"

I stormed out of her room went into mine and slammed the door. I sat there on the bed playing games on my phone when I heard mom calling us down to dinner. After dinner mom and Darcy did the dishes so I went back to my room.

I thought about what Darcy said. I started to call Brianna .but I just hung up the phone. Then I heard mom calling my name. When I got downstairs they were sitting on the couch and they didn't look happy.

"Maddy have a seat."

"Whats going on?"

"Your mother and I want to talk to you."

My hands were starting to sweat.

"Who is Arthur?"

Mom pulled a piece of paper from her pocket.

"He's just a boy from school."

"Why do you have his number?"

My hands were really sweating and my heart was pounding. Dad looked angry.

"Is he why you didn't want to go to the movies today?

For a minute I couldn't breathe.

:The truth Maddy."

"Okay , Brianna told Arthur I was going to the movies this weekend. So when I was at my locker Arthur stopped by and gave me his number. He told me to call him and tell him when I was going,but I lost the number."

Lost?"

"Yeah."

"Looks like you were going to throw it away. Your lucky I found it under the washing machine."

"Maddy you know the rules. No going out with boys until your eighteen. You should have told him that."

Its late now ,but you can call him in the morning."

Mom handed me the crumpled piece of paper and I went back to my room. I could kill Brianna she started this mess. I was in trouble all because of her.

The next morning I called Arthur,but he didn't answer. Well, I tried I told myself. I don't like him anyway. He will get over it.

When I went downstairs for breakfast my mom was waiting for me.

"Did you call that boy?"

"Yeah.but he didn't answer."

"Well, you can call him later."

"You found his number?"

:No Darcy mom did."

"Thats why they called you downstairs last night?" Darcy whispered.

"What are you girls doing today?

"Don't know mom."

"You can help me clean the house. But stay away from your father's study. He is doing some work in there.

After we finished cleaning I called Arthur again .but he still wouldn't answer. So I sent him a text explaining what had happened.He never texted me back. I will just tell him everything tomorrow at school.

When I got to school the next day I found him at his locker. When I tried to explain myself he just ignored me. Then I saw Brianna.

"How could you do that to Arthur?" I told you he liked you. You didn't even have the decency to call."

"I called him yesterday."

After school I went by his house. but when he saw it was me he just slammed the door in my face. I went home feeling rejected.

"Whats wrong Maddy?"

"He is never going to forgive me Darcy."

I didn't understand. In the movies the man would forgive the girl, And they would even kiss and make up. But this wasn't the movies . It was worse.

May 28, 2022 03:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.