A Natural Conclusion

Submitted into Contest #224 in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I can’t sleep.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Inspirational Coming of Age

“I can’t sleep,” Shelby whispered in Reneé’s ear.

She pulled closer, “You haven’t slept in days, Honey.”

Shelby climbed out of bed and started to dress.

Reneé rolled over. She was worried about her husband.

“Where are you going?” she whimpered.

“I am going fishing. I need to clear my head, Angel.”

He knelt beside the bed. “I promise you I will sleep tonight, OK?"

Reneé pleaded, “Please, I am starting to stress about you.”

She lifted the covers to reveal her pregnant stomach, “I have enough to worry about.”

Shelby kissed her. “I swear to you. This ends today.”

He walked out of the bedroom. It had been a week since he slept. Shelby filled his thermos with coffee and headed out the back door toward the paddle boat.

Shelby’s father, Abraham, greeted him at the dock. He had a tackle box, fishing pole, and a homemade knitted cap sewn by Shelby’s mother resting in his hand.

His father was excited to see him. “Son, what a nice surprise!”

Shelby smiled. “Ah, Dad, I am so happy to see you.”

Abraham looked confused, “Where is your gear, Son?”

“I left my gear at the dock, Dad. I know I’m not supposed to do that. I haven’t been myself lately,” he confessed.

“Well, nothing better than a good day fishing to clear your head,” he placed his free arm around Shelby's shoulder, and they walked together to their paddle boat.

“We had a crescent moon last night. It should be a fruitful morning out on the lake,” Abraham added.

It was a frigid early morning in February; clouds of steamy vapor painted the lake’s surface. The sun peeked over the mountain landscape.

They boarded the boat, and Shelby quietly paddled them to a familiar cove. It didn’t take long before Shelby’s father reeled in the day’s first catch.

Abraham held the bass in his right hand. He pulled the hook from its mouth and tapped its head with needle-nose pliers.

Shelby’s father eyed a tall grove of pine trees. He lifted his fingers to his mouth, whistled loudly, and tossed the stunned bass into the lake just a few yards from the boat. An eagle’s cry echoed inside the canyon walls, followed by the whooshing sounds of flapping wings. Abraham turned and winked at Shelby. His face beamed with pride. With an effortless glide, the eagle lowered its talons, raised its wings, and clutched the bass in its claws.

“I never get tired of that!” Shelby shouted.

Abraham placed his fingers against his lips, “Shh, you’ll scare the fish, Son.”

They both laughed. As if a loud whistle echoing off the canyon walls didn’t spook the fish enough.

Shelby set his fishing pole down, silently signaling that he needed to talk.

His father continued to fish with his back facing Shelby.

Abraham started, “So you have been offered an important job in the city?”

Shelby pressed his palms against his forehead. He was exhausted.

“Not just any city, Dad, New York City.”

Abraham reeled in his lure. He spoke with a calm, soothing voice. “You worked tirelessly for this opportunity. What seems to be the problem?”

Abraham cast his bait just inches from the rocky shoreline.

"Do you want to pump fuel at the family gas station for the rest of your life?"

His father, a car mechanic, owned a gas station. Shelby pumped the gas, and his dad repaired automobiles. Not only were they family, but they were best of friends.

“Yeah, I will be working for one of the most prestigious financial firms on Wall Street,” Shelby boasted.

"But the problem I have with this opportunity is I can't help but think it's a missed opportunity."

His father's smile made Shelby pause.

Abraham slowly reeled, "Go on, Son," he urged, what do you mean missed opportunity?"

"I have a chance to experience raising a family immersed in nature. What kind of..."

The sound of the fishing line leaving the spool interrupted the conversation.

His father stood up and tightened his bale. A massive brown trout lifted itself from the water and slapped its tail against the surface. His wife’s christmas red, knitted cap slipped over one eye, which made Abraham hysterical. He lifted his right forearm with a fishing pole tightly held in his hands and brushed off the beanie into a small mud puddle that formed beneath his feet.

Abraham celebrated, “Yes!”

He soon had the trout in his hands.

He whistled proudly, “Wow, she must be ten pounds!"

He gently rubbed her belly. "She is pregnant, too!” Dad joked.

Abraham kissed the trout on its head and returned her to the lake.

Shelby’s grin was permanently fixed on his face. “That was a moment I will never forget,” shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, Son. You were saying?" his father's loving tone filled the canyon walls.

They remained silent.

Shelby leaned over the boat and placed his right hand in the water. He stared at his reflection for a moment.

“I want Reneé and my children to have everything they need in their life.”

“Son, your love for them will be everything they will ever need.”

"Love doesn't put food on the table, Dad," he countered.

"Sure, it does! Love nurtures! Your love for your family will inspire you to take care of them. Love is selfless. Love teaches commitment and honesty. If you genuinely love someone, aren't you committed?“

Shelby stirred the water with his right hand. He replied, "Yes, of course, Dad."

Shelby added, "Love also teaches us empathy and understanding. What a gift I could share with my children."

"Exactly, Son. The question is, can you love them like you need to love them in New York City?"

Shelby processed his father's words.

"Something else, Dad. What about education? I want my kids to receive the best education.”

“You manage to find your way, and look at you, 'Mr. Wall Street banker',” Dad replied.

A long silence ensued. Shelby could hear the birds chatter amongst the treetops. He baited his hook and tossed it into the water.

“I would replace these quiet moments enjoying nature with the bustling noises of city life,” Shelby exhaled.

He set his fishing rod down and clutched his aching stomach, “I can’t remember the last time I ate food, Dad. The thought of leaving this place feels like the day I lost you.”

Shelby stared at the towering snow-filled mountain in the distance, “70-hour work weeks and 7-figure jobs would create a lot of opportunities for my family,” he argued.

“Reneé didn’t marry you for your money. She married you because she loves your relationship with this world,” his father proudly reminded him.

"Son, let me ask you this. When something or someone has troubled your heart, how do you attempt to resolve these problems?”

Shelby tried to make eye contact with his father, but the morning sun blinded him. He can only make out a shadowy silhouette.

“Well, that is easy, Dad."

Shelby pointed to their cabin.

"I walk out the back door and up the mountain to find a place to talk with God. I usually find a rock or a fallen tree with a beautiful view and sit and talk about my troubles. I place dirt, small pebbles, and leaves in my hands and feel nature’s energy. I always feel grounded when I take time with nature.”

“And here we are in nature, discussing what ails you. Doesn't this life in these mountains make complete sense?" Abraham argued.

"Indeed, it does, Father."

Abraham comforted, "Well, I think you solved this problem. Why don’t you talk to Reneé? She is worried about you.”

"Yeah, I want to talk with her. I have troubled her all week. She deserves better."

Shelby placed his fishing rod on the floor of the paddle boat.

"Thank you, Dad," he choked.

Shelby paddled home.

Reneé was standing onshore. She was bundled in winter clothes. Her hands were clutching her stomach. Her face looked somber. She had been crying.

Shelby secured the boat to the dock and headed toward her, leaving his gear behind.

With a concerned look, he asked, “Have you been out here long?”

She folded her arms, "Yes, who have you been talking to?”

He pointed at the boat, “My Da...”, stopped mid-sentence, and lowered his head. Shelby's lack of sleep, stress, and hunger faded the line between reality and imagination.

Shelby's father had been dead for several years.

“Reneé, I’m sorry I have caused you so much stress. I had a long talk with my dad," he confessed.

Reneé struggled to remain calm. "Well, what did you talk about?"

“I don’t want to leave this place. I only want to love you and my family. The long hours and the travel will only keep us apart. The demands of this job and living in a big city feel toxic to me. It’s a lot of money to say no to. Would you understand if we stayed here and raised our children?”

Her shoulders dropped as she held out her arms and invited Shelby to hug her.

“I’m so proud of you,” she whispered.

November 17, 2023 21:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.