All Hail the King of Bloodshed

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with someone returning from a trip.... view prompt

3 comments

General

I stepped off of the boat to be greeted by my family with open arms. My wife, who hasn't seen me since the beginning of our quest, holding our 2-year-old daughter rejoiced at the sight of my face, although my face was quite the opposite of that. The war has been won, the victory is ours, and yet I couldn't be happy if my life depended on it. Possibly it's because I might not have a life soon. What I saw on that expedition is unbearable to me. So many innocent lives lost just for the pleasure of our ruthless king.


My vision is black and white. Greyness fills the emptiness inside of me, as well as a pint of beer. At this point in time, I could care less if I throw all of my pounds away on some alcohol, at least I'm not sober. I don't feel like talking about my adventures and my "acts of heroism for the British Empire", but I'll tell you anyways, I guess.


Back when we arrived on their land, they did not care for war, such a stupid thing it was. They were right, I suppose. To be completely honest, I think they wouldn't have minded if we just told them that the area was ours now. Regardless, we were given orders to take over their territory. Also we were given orders to set fire to their buildings and slaughter anyone in our paths. We were basically told to act like wild barbaric animals and reign terror over some people who didn't know we even existed. For some reason, I obeyed their order. Maybe it was because I was afraid of what they'd do if I didn't act upon their harsh words.


In the middle of our assault on the poor little village, I came across a family of four: A redheaded mother with two sons and a baby daughter huddled up in the back of their little cabin. When the mother made eye contact with me, a foreigner armed with a blade, she froze, and a tear trickled down her cheek. You could basically see the acceptance of their fate in her eyes, while she covered up the eyes of her younglings. In a weak, shaky breath, barely getting the words out of her mouth, she whispered:


"Just make it quick."


I immediately took pity for her and her children. Yes, that may have been true for everybody else I encountered and murdered, but there was something different about her. Maybe it was because she had less fear than anybody else, something only a strong belief can get you through. Realizing the corner they were curled up in was catching fire, I had to make a split decision.


"Follow me," I told them. "And I can help you escape." The mother slowly got up with suspicion. I turned around to see Gerard, one of my mates helping with the operation. I wouldn't say I was a friend of his, but we knew each other quite well. He stood at around 150 cm (which was 9 cm shorter than I was), had broad shoulders and a very distinct jawline, and he had a scar on his forehead from when he was a child. He was one of those people that would attempt to do anything, but would get killed if he were to ever be in a fight.


"What are you standing there for?" He asked me. "Kill them already!" I knew very well that if I didn't kill them, he would tell the general, and the general would have me executed. Gerard was that kind of guy. He didn't care if I was a friend of his or not. I would have to kill them. Unless...


"Gerard," I said, "Please forgive me." I winded up my sword. He had a brief look of confusion, and then realization. With all my might, I swung my sword around, and chopped his head clean off. His head bounced once, then hit the ground with a thud. The mother let out a small screech witnessing the decapitation. I didn't care. I knew and still know the consequences of what might happen if they found out, but what I did was take one life to save four lives. Or at least I tried to.


With some quick thinking, I took his lifeless body and threw it into the raging fire that was their house. "Get out," I told them. They scuttled along right behind me, making sure they were not spotted amid the chaos around them.


At the edge of this chaos was the beach, along with one of our boats. "Go," I commanded the mother, "Get in the boat, and row as far away from here as possible. There will be enough food to last you three weeks." The mother looked up at me, not saying a word, only a radient smile that showed her infinite appreciation. Then off she went with her kids, running towards the beach.


Then a voice hollered from above; "SOMEONE'S MAKING A BREAK FOR THE BOATS! GET HER!!!"


All eyes immediately turned towards the empty beach, except for a woman in her forest-green cloak, sheltering her kids, headed towards one of the wodden army boats. There was a large commotion of others yelling "Get her!" or "Don't let her get away!". An archer behind me pulled out his bow and an arrow, aimed, and without any hesitation, sent it hurtling though the air. The woman looked back just in time to see it, heading for her. She had a instant look of panic, followed by the splurch of an arrow penetrating into her stomach.


After the commotion died down, we all went back to the centre of the villiage, where her kids were captured and had their throats slit in front of everyone. To finish everything off, the general placed the British flag into the Earth, and on that day, we signified the loss of hundreds of innocent men and women who just wanted to live in peace. Reluctantly, I still cheered with them.


Someone also pointed out that Gerard was missing. The general responded by saying he was probably killed by one of the townspeople, but if it was one of us who killed him, then we were advised to turn ourselves in to be executed. I didn't fancy turning myself in, so I stayed quiet. Then we hopped onboard the boats and headed back towards mainland.


And here I am, just a person told by his power-thirsty country to cause destruction to all non-englishmen. A person who was too damn afraid to die and just went along with everything he was told.


Wait, why was I afraid to die? So I could live the rest of my life to live in shame and guilt of the people's fates I chose? What do I have to lose if I die? I guarentee that I'd eventually hang myself anyways. Might as well turn myself in then. All hail the king of bloodshed.

May 31, 2020 22:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

A. Y. R
11:42 Jun 04, 2020

I love the narrator's tone in this! You've really captured his numbness to the bloodshed perfectly! And the opening paragraphs were very mysterious. One thing I did notice is a lot of your sentences start with convectives like 'then' or 'after' which slightly ruins the flow of the story a bit. Otherwise, this was a really griping story! Congrats on your first submission!

Reply

Jack Fitzgerald
21:51 Jun 04, 2020

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Fitzgerald
00:16 Jun 01, 2020

This is my first story written, it would be appreciated if I was given some feedback on how I did or some constructive criticism on what I could do better. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.