A Kiss from a Stranger

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

1 comment

Romance Speculative Drama

A Kiss from a Stranger 

My best friend dragged me to this stupid New Year's Eve Masquerade Party and then abandoned me with her boyfriend. She has been trying to get me out of my shell since my fiancée dumped me. We both got dolled up and came out to have a great night and then she left me all alone again. What was she thinking?  

 I should leave right now but then I see him, my ex-fiancée is here with one of my coworkers. She is the worst person I know. She was sleeping with our boss to keep from being fired and now she is with my ex, Bradley. What the hell? I rush into the other room as he dips her into a passionate kiss. Tears are escaping my eyes as I bump into someone. I apologize and dart into the restroom. I look at myself, grab a little tissue from the box, and dab my eyes. Considering how bad I feel my make up is still pristine. I take a deep breath and decide to leave. I exit the restroom, determined to find my friend and avoid my ex when someone stops me.  

“Are you alright?” he asks me calmly. 

“No but I will be as soon as I get out of here.” I respond. “Why are you concerned? I don’t know you and I don’t mean to sound rude.” I continued. 

“It’s ok you bumped into me right before you went into the restroom, and you looked upset and a bit like you just saw a ghost. I was just concerned.” He responded with kindness in his tone.  

My eyes grew wide as I realized he was who I bumped into. “Oh my! Again, I am so sorry. I really didn’t mean to bump into you.” I practically fumbled out the words in embarrassment. 

“It is quite alright. It’s not every day a pretty girl bump into me.” He replies looking into my eyes.  

I feel the blush rising on my cheeks. This is not at all what I expected when I came tonight.  

“Julia!” I hear my ex behind me and my face falls. I turn and come face to face with Bradley and Megan.  

“Julia what are you doing here?” Megan says in her sickly-sweet fake as shit voice.  

“I came here with Shannon. Not that it is any of your business. “I respond coldly. 

“Now there is no need to be a bitch just because I have Bradley now.” she responds as she grabs Bradley tighter around the arm.  

Suddenly I felt an arm go around my waist and the gentleman I was talking to was right there.  

“Well Julia and I were having a great time before you showed up and spoiled our time, Megan.” Suddenly he took off his mask and Megan’s fake smile faltered.  

“George! What are you doing here I thought you were in Paris on business honey.” She quickly dropped Bradley’s arm and she tried to move closer to George. 

George moved back slightly pulling me with him. His arm felt like it had always belonged there, and I felt the yearning for it to never move again. My thought was interrupted by a memory of Megan boasting one day at work. That she had snagged a wealthy mark to keep her living her high life and stringing him along until they got married and she staged him cheating on her like she had before.  

“Megan, I never had a trip planned I just told you that to expose you for the mean hearted gold digger I have known you to be for a long time now.” he took a deep breath and continued. “You always complained about Julia and how she was a ‘Teacher’s Pet’, always willing to help her colleagues, always going the extra mile, donating her time at the orphanage being a big sister. George now turned to me as he continued, Megan never understood why you always got so much praise from the boss, which we all know you are also seeing, instead of her.”  

Bradley now speaks up, “What are you talking about? Megan and I have been together over a year now and so how could she have been dating you?”  

“What?” I scream. “We were engaged, and you were sleeping with her as well, we only broke up two months ago.”  

George gave me a little squeeze, “I think you dodged a bullet here Julia.” 

Bradley interrupts him, “Oh come on Julia you clearly moved on pretty fast, maybe I wasn’t the only one cheating.”  

George stepped up then. “Oh no, do not just make assumptions based on your own misguided morals. Julia and I just met tonight. We just seemed to click into place, and personally, I think, you are a colossal moron to let her go.  

Megan smiles sweetly at George and says, “Oh honey let us get out of here and go home, we can talk this all out and figure out what you “think” I was doing. I mean why would I cheat on the perfect man? That is so silly, and you know me, I would never do anything to mess up our love.” 

Bradley is staring at her like he was just kicked in his balls. I am not surprised Megan is trying to flirt back into his good graces, but George sees through her crap. 

“Megan you can go screw yourself. We are done. You can go back to Bradley, or your boss, or one of the other 3 guys you are messing around with, but you will never get back with me.”  

Megan turned and stormed away. Bradly turned with her and tried to keep up all while asking, “what other guys?” 

I loudly exhaled and relaxed into George’s arms. I turned and looked into his eyes.  

“Thank you for that, when I saw them,” I paused, and with a quivering voice I said, “I was broken. I just felt so betrayed.” I rested my head against his chest and took a long breath. “You just said exactly what I was feeling but you were so calm and strong about it. I would have never been able to do that.” I look into his chocolate eyes, and I feel like I could get lost in those eyes. I feel myself blinking back my tears again. George brushes the single tear that escapes my right eye with his thumb.  

“Do not worry Julia I knew from the first time Megan mentioned you that you were someone I wanted to meet. You have such a kind heart that I knew you were a special person. When I saw you here tonight, I knew I needed to meet you and I was happy when you bumped into me. When I saw you crying, I had a feeling you saw Megan and Bradley here together, so I waited for you to come back out.” George took a deep breath and continued. “I find you to be captivating and I meant every word I said to Megan and Bradley. I know this is fast, but I feel like I have always known you or that maybe I was always supposed to meet you. Maybe, Megan did something good while screwing us both over because she brought us together.  

Behind us we heard the party start to count from 10......9.......8......George tilts my face up.......7....6......5......may I........4......3.......2......yes.........1......Our lips met, and I knew this was how I wanted to spend every New Year from now on.  

January 05, 2023 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Antara Srikanth
10:33 Jan 14, 2023

Such a lovely story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.