Close Competition

Submitted into Contest #203 in response to: Write about two friends getting into a fist fight.... view prompt

3 comments

Christian Drama Friendship

"I can't believe my only best friend, in the whole world, would stab me in the back!" Roxy sat fuming the whole time during choir rehearsal. All she could think about was the heated encounter she had before rehearsal  with her best friend, Diamond. They both got a crush on the same guy who seems to have the attention of every female member in the congregation. "Kingston is my boyfriend…he doesn't even like you! Diamond yelled as she pushed Roxy back hard into a red chair behind her. She quickly got back onto her feet and pushed Diamond back into a long white table holding church fliers. "You're not even his type! You're too fat!" The table slid backwards as the fliers flew into the air and onto the ground. Diamond regained her balance and rushed towards Roxy. Both girls began pushing each other back and forth. Suddenly, Diamond's left hand reached out and slapped Roxy on her cheek. Feelings of rage filled Roxy's emotions as she gave Diamond a strong right hook. Then, they fell to the floor wrestling each other and pulling on each other's hair.

 Kingston is the son of Mr. Sharp, who is a well known musician of the church.  He is visiting his dad for the summer. Having a fresh face around the church is much needed, may I add. He definitely has physical features that will make any girl melt like butter. Smooth dark-brown skin, abs of steel, a low-cut fade, and a stare that will keep you stuck in place for centuries. Roxy instantly felt butterflies when she laid eyes on Kingston. She didn't know how to thank Mr. Sharp for introducing her to his son. He treated Roxy as if she was his own daughter. She had no problem being his son's personal tour guide. Heck, she'll even sharpen the man's pencil if he asks her too.

One month ago…

"Roxy! How's it going? I would like you to meet my son, Kingston. He's here in Florida with me for the summer, then he'll be heading back to St. Louis in time for the new school season. Would you mind showing him around the church for me? I would hate for him to have to follow me around like a lost puppy while I'm working." Roxy lit up with excitement at the opportunity of spending uninterrupted time with this hot guy. "Sure, Mr. Sharp! I'll make sure Kingston knows all the ropes before Sunday's service. He'll know his way around our church so well, he'll be showing the Pastor around." Mr. Sharp burst out a laugh at Roxy's joke. That's why he knew Roxy was the best person at church to keep his son company. Although he planned to also introduce Kingston to her best friend, Diamond, he knew that Roxy is perfect. She has a sense of humor that can win any parent's heart, alongside her intelligence and beauty. Roxy has a good head on her shoulders and she knows how to dress respectfully. She's in shape and takes good care of her body. Who knows, maybe she could get Kingston to loosen up a bit. He's had a hard time making new friends ever since his childhood friend, Trevor, died. Things just haven't been the same. He doesn't want to go out and meet new people or do the fun things he's used to doing. "I'm sure I don't need a babysitter, Pops. Do I look like a toddler or something?" Kingston gave his dad a confused look. This is the first time, in his entire young life, that his dad try to make him new friends. "Don't be silly, son. Roxy is only going to show you how things run in this church. I don't want you to feel out of place while you're here. You know I'll be working and don't have enough time to show  you around myself. Don't worry, Roxy won't bite." Mr. Sharp grabbed his music folder and made his way into the music hall.

As he made his way out of the door, Diamond was on the other side of the door about to walk in. Mr. Sharp looked surprised to see her. She is the total opposite of Roxy. A rebel with an attitude and five hundred ways to prove people wrong. She dresses sloppy and never exercises. One thing about Diamond, she will have your back when you need it most. "Great to see you, Diamond! I have my son, Kingston, in town with me for the summer. If you don't mind, I would like for you to meet him. Roxy is going to give my boy a tour of the church so he's not a part of the lost and found." Diamond laughed and took a look at the boy that Mr. Sharp calls his son. She instantly stood stuck in place as her eyes traced the outline of Kingston's muscular body, in awe of this fine specimen she's in the presence of. "Sure, Mr. Sharp. I'll even help my girl, Roxy, show your son how things are done here." Roxy noticed the way Diamond was looking at Kingston and a wave of jealousy flowed through her veins. "You know what? I don't think I need any help with giving a tour. I mean, I am a member and have attended this church since I was in diapers. I think I got this covered." Roxy reassures Diamond, hoping that she stays out of the way of her getting close to Kingston. "Why are you acting weird all of a sudden? We're best friends, which means I should help you show him around." Diamond looked at Roxy puzzled by her best friend's request. "I know we're best friends, but Mr. Sharp asked me personally. You told me earlier that you weren't going to make it to church today. Why'd you change your mind?" Roxy gave Diamond a confused look. "My after school practice was canceled, so I decided to pop in anyway. I was excited to come hang with my girl." Diamond smiled at Roxy as she placed her arm around her shoulders. Roxy let out a sigh as she realized there's no getting rid of her best friend. So, she decides to give in. She puts her purse on her shoulder and grabs Kingston's hand, guiding him towards the door. "Well, we should get started. We don't want to waste time and not be able to go over every detail." Diamond stares a hole into the back of Roxy's head in realization of the crush that she has on Kingston. She quickly followed them out of the door. In the back of Kingston's mind, he knew that both girls are interested in him. He obviously caught sight of their feuding conversation over who was going to give him a tour of the church. He'd never imagined having two females fight over him like that. "Maybe I can get to know both of them. What harm could that do? All I have to do is make sure that I don't have them in the same place at the same time. They'll never find out."

Fast forward…

"Break it up you two! Mr. Sharp quickly ran over to break up the wrestling match that, now, had the attention of every church member standing in the lobby. "What on earth are y'all fighting over? Have y'all forgotten we're in church?" Mr. Sharp looks back and forth, at each girl, shocked by their behavior. Roxy and Diamond immediately stopped their wrestling match after realizing they were being an embarrassment to their church family. "We're fighting over your son, Kingston. I'm so sorry, Mr. Sharp. I didn't mean to get out of character." Roxy apologized with a saddened look. "I apologize too, Mr. Sharp. I promise that won't happen again." Diamond couldn't look Mr. Sharp in the face, so she looked towards the ground. "What would make you both fight over this knucklehead?" Mr. Sharp gave Kingston a puzzled look. "Kingston told me that I'm his girlfriend. I can't understand why Diamond would think he wants to date her. That's impossible!" Roxy declared with a serious look. "That's a lie! He told me that I am his girlfriend and that we'll be together forever." Diamond gave Roxy an angry look.

"It looks like you've got some explaining to do. Why are the girls fighting over you, son?" Mr. Sharp is disappointed that Kingston tried to date them both. "Honestly, dad, I didn't know how to let one down without hurting the other. I thought that I could date them both without them finding out." He looked at his dad with pleading eyes. "Son, you can't date two females at the same time. You only need to choose one. You need to go over there and apologize." Kingston hung his head as he apologized to Roxy and Diamond. "I'm sorry for taking advantage of and playing you both. I totally understand if you don't want to be cool with me anymore." Diamond and Roxy looked at each other before accepting his apology. "We forgive you, Kingston. Let's just focus on us all being friends." Roxy places her arms around his and Diamond's shoulders. "I agree, we shouldn't be enemies. I'm sorry I pushed and slapped you. I really thought you had it out for me." Diamond grabbed Roxy's hand to show her compassion and that she is really sorry. "I forgive you girl. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have punched you and called you fat. "Can we be best friends again like before?" Roxy asks with a curious look. "Yes, but only better" Both girls hugged each other, then Mr. Sharp and Kingston joined them in their hugging session. 

June 24, 2023 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Mustang Patty
11:43 Jun 26, 2023

Hi there, Quite an interesting story. I cannot even imagine someone breaking out in a fight in my church - especially in the youth group. A few notes: In prose, it is preferable to use separate paragraphs for dialogue - it helps the reader identify the break. Missing an end quotation mark: "Kingston is my boyfriend…he doesn't even like you! Good luck to you in the contest, ~MP~

Reply

Tamara Page
13:58 Jun 26, 2023

Thank you so much for the tips. I definitely will take note. I can't believe I accidentally deleted the quotation that I did have there. It gets tricky posting files to websites lol I've seen quite a bit in my church life. You'd be surprised by the things that people choose to do in church, sad to say.

Reply

Mustang Patty
15:31 Jun 26, 2023

Oh, I do know. While the Youth Group would refrain from arguing, I've been to some Womens' meetings that almost came to blows. LOL Thank you for sharing, ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.