4 comments

Creative Nonfiction Romance

"My flight got canceled," I say, gripping the phone tightly, trying to sound bummed. I could hardly believe my luck. Will handed me a glass of wine. I silently mouthed thank you and took a sip of a magnificent 2018 Rkatsiteli. 


I heard my mom gasp, "Oh no, sweetie. Is it because of bad weather?"


"Yeah, it started snowing again last night and will keep snowing all day." I lean back in my seat and tuck my feet under me, watching the snowflakes pass by in a flurry. The glass wall in front of me feels cold to the touch, in stark contrast to the warm air wafting out from the vent above me. 


"So what are you gonna do?"


"Well, they gave me a few options to reschedule the flight free of charge, so I booked the soonest one available... which is at 9 pm tonight."


"Well, how are you gonna keep busy until then? You're all alone over there…"


"I'll figure something out," I said, watching Will return to his office for a meeting. Will. The man I'd met the night before, and I was half in love with him already.



I was stuck in DC during the winter storm for a few days while I got my work visa approved at the Chinese embassy. I had nothing to do for the next two days but stay cooped up in my hotel in the meantime. Two more days of staring mindlessly at the TV to go. I'd already finished the only book I'd brought with me, and it was way too damn cold to go outside, much less wander around the national mall.


Sometime during late evening, I started growing restless. I wanted to go out and just... do something. Anything. I stared at my phone for a few minutes until I finally worked up the courage to download Hinge and set up my profile. I started getting likes within seconds. Huh. I dipped a plantain chip in salsa and popped it in my mouth, biting down as I discarded the first ten suitors. I waited a while, got distracted when Grey's Anatomy came on, saw I had a few more likes, and decided to like back a few of the guys and send them a greeting. A few minutes later, I got a reply. 


It was from Will, answering my question: What's your favorite place you've visited?


To live it would be Singapore, London, or Hong Kong. To visit, I'll give it to either Hvar, Croatia or Cartagena, Colombia. And yours?


I'm not sure I've found the perfect place to live yet, but I enjoyed visiting San Francisco and Quebec.

I'm actually from Colombia, but I prefer Baru to Cartagena. The beach is better.


Good to know! I'll need to visit Baru. How do I get there? 

And I'm actually from San Francisco :)

And you speak Mandarin?!


There's a bridge connecting the mainland to Baru. You can drive from Cartagena.

I'm working on it! But I'll get the chance to learn the language this year when I move to China.


When do you move to China?


Next week...


So I finally get a good match on Hinge, and she's moving across the world next week? 


Aw, I'm sorry.

I had to come to DC for a few days to apply for a work visa, but I'm heading home on Friday.

Hang out with me while I'm here, and maybe you'll decide to go with me? ;) 


So I got one shot to take you out for drinks and dinner, and if it's all good, our 2nd date can be in China. 

Challenge accepted.

What's your number?


After a moment's thought, I reread the conversation and decided to give him my number. Maybe I'll have some fun instead of letting the snow keep me holed up in my room. Just looking out the window made me shiver, imagining what it would be like to be out there, nose burning with each icy breath, fingers going numb, and eyelashes frosting over. 


We stayed up all night texting until 2 am and agreed to meet at a speakeasy after he got out of work. How exciting! It was my first time alone in a big city, and it was turning out to be better than I expected. I sat around all day fidgeting and watching TV until finally, at about 2 pm, I took a shower, got dressed, then headed out for lunch. I got a text from Will on the way to the Shake Shack in Dupont Circle. 


Are you free to meet a little later? Around 8? My last meeting ends at 7:30


I can meet you later, but it must be somewhere closer.


If you're around the area, we could meet in Navy Yard, where I live, and I could drive you back afterward.


I can make it there.

Where do you suggest we go?


How about Silver Social? It's close to the metro station so you don't have to walk too much. If you get there before me, make sure to get a table upstairs at the lounge, not the diner.


Okay, see you then.


I hid out at the Shake Shack for as long as I could, taking my time with my avocado bacon burger and crinkle-cut fries, dreading having to head back out into the cold. 


Finally, I threw away the trash, put the tray away, and put on my scarf and gloves. I buttoned up my white parka, creating an airtight seal around my neck, grabbed my purse, and made my way to the door.


I hesitated and glanced out the window as a gust of wind blew past, carrying a swirl of snow in its wake. With a deep breath, I pushed the door open and stepped outside. I turned right onto 18th Street and walked straight until I reached the intersection on H Street, walked a little further, and then turned left onto Lafayette Square. 


Even though it was freezing outside, it had finally stopped snowing. The sky was clear, and the moon was glowing. Everything seemed still and silent, making the crunch of my boots on the snow seem extra loud. I made my way carefully over the slippery ground until I stood right in front of the gated perimeter of the White House, which stood out perfectly against the black night. 


I took a few pictures of the wintry landscape surrounding me. It was breathtaking: the stillness of the night, occasionally interrupted by a passerby crunching by; the deep, profound expanse above, which reminded me of the sky out at sea in the Caribbean, except that the city sky was not dotted with shining stars, but city lights. The fountain in front of the White House gurgled on despite the freezing temperature and the snow that enveloped everything in its icy embrace.


After a while, I could no longer ignore the burning in my nose, which heightened with each breath I took, and I realized I couldn't feel my fingertips. I put my hands up to my face and breathed warm air on them, heating my hands and nose simultaneously, then headed back towards the metro station. It was time to meet Will.


When I got to the lounge, I asked for a table for two and waited for Will to show up. The waitress brought me coffee in the meantime—"This should warm you up, darling." 


I was sitting by the window with my back to the entrance when a tall, Chinese man appeared from behind. 


"Hey there, Val, I haven't seen you in ages," he joked.


I greeted him, suppressing a laugh, "Hi Will, nice to meet you."


We hugged briefly, and he sat down. Our waitress immediately appeared. "Hi guys, my name is Carly, and I'll be taking care of you tonight. Would you like anything to drink?"


Will ordered a soda—"so I can drive you back afterward"—and I ordered a Rosè.


"Good choice." He nodded at me approvingly.


"I'll be right back with that while you guys look at the menu!"


Carly left, and I took a sip of my coffee, hoping Will wouldn't notice the slight shake of my hand. He was smartly dressed and much more handsome than I expected, while I wore my warmest, most worn-out winter clothes.


"You know, I'm actually a bit of a wine snob," I said, sounding more confident than I felt.


W raised an eyebrow and said, "Oh?" 


"Yeah, my aunt lives in Chile, so we go to the vineyards whenever we visit, and she always brings us wine when she comes home for the holidays."


"Did you know that Georgia is the birthplace of winemaking? —the country, not the state."


"Really? I didn't know that. Have you ever tried it?"


"Oh yeah, there's a shop nearby where they sell it. I'm no good at differentiating between a $100 bottle of wine and a $1000 one, but I can tell when it comes to Georgian wine. Oh, and French wine sucks!"


I laughed, "That's true. I tried it once and didn't like it!"


Will cracked a smile and looked at me, thinking. "You know, I have a bottle of Georgian wine at my place."


He didn't say more than that, but asked me what I wanted to eat, so we ordered a crab cake platter to share and dived deep into conversation, talking about my upcoming trip to China and his time in the Marines. At a quarter to 11, Carly came by and said she was sorry, but the lounge would be closing soon. 


"Oh wow, I didn't realize it was so late. Dinner's on me. I'll drive you back to your place," Will smiled and handed his card to the waitress. I nodded and thanked him.


We headed out, and he guided me down the street a few blocks away, "I just have to drop something off at my apartment real quick, and then we'll be on our way." 


"Okay."


We walked in comfortable silence for a few minutes, then stopped in front of a white residential building, and Will said, "Here, come inside so you don't freeze in the meantime." He held the door open for me, and I stepped into the lobby tentatively while he headed toward the elevator. 


He hesitated and signaled for me to go with him, "Actually, why don't you come on up? It'll be quick."


I hid a smile and followed him into the elevator. We stepped out into the 7th floor and headed down the hallway to the last apartment.


"Well, this is it." He held the door open for me and walked in after me, immediately taking his shoes off and heading to his office. "Let me give you the grand tour."


"Uh, should I take my shoes off as well?"


"No, we won't be here long. Actually, please do—Asian household, you know." He laughed and came back out to the hallway. 


The hallway slanted off to the right, opening up to the kitchen and living room straight ahead. I took off my shoes and looked around at the tastefully decorated condo. Everything was beautiful but more expensive than all the things I owned combined. 


Will gestured around the corner towards his office, which was hidden on the right side of the hallway. "This is where I spend my days." I barely noticed the guest bathroom when he pulled me back towards the main living area. "This is the kitchen, the living room," he gestured towards a sliding door on the left…" and this is my bedroom."


I took a peek and did a 360 of the place. I smiled and said, "I like it. Feels very modern but cozy." 


He brushed past me towards the kitchen, opened the fridge, and held up a bottle of wine for me to see. "Here's that Georgian wine I mentioned. Want some?" 


"I'd love to!"


Will took out two glasses of wine and poured one fuller than the other. He handed me the fuller glass and gestured towards the far corner of the living room to a chair that overlooked the expanse of the city. "That's my thinking chair. Why don't you try it out for a spin."


Will came to stand beside me as I settled in and admired the falling snow, turning the city an icy white. 


"It's super comfy," I gestured at the chair, "and the view is amazing. The glass walls really give the place a sense of openness.”


"I rarely get the chance to see it. I'm always in my office working."


What a pity, I thought, to have access to such a lovely view and not have the time to enjoy it. W held my gaze briefly, then moved abruptly to the couch and put on some music. 


I moved to sit next to him and sipped my wine slowly, savoring the unique taste of the amber liquid. We talked for hours, slowly moving closer to each other until finally, we were cuddling with my head resting on his shoulder. I tilted my head back to look at him, and he kissed me softly and whispered, "Do you want to stay here tonight?"


I nodded breathlessly, and he kissed me again, then carried me to his bedroom.


A little while later, we lay intertwined, half-asleep. "Tell me two truths and a lie," Will mumbled.


"I went to nine different schools, I've only ever been in one serious relationship, and…I have never fallen in love on the first date."


"See, I could tell by the way you said it that that was the lie."


"Your turn."


"I grew up in California, have been to 55 countries, and I was the inspiration for one of Taylor Swift's songs."


I laughed, "Yeah, right. Hard to get that one past me."


"Because of the way I said it?"


"No, because I know all the lore behind her music."


He hugged me tighter briefly, then turned around and fell asleep. 


I peeked at my watch. 5:30. I'd been asleep less than two hours, but my internal clock was convinced it was time to get up. I sighed and got up quietly, sliding the bedroom door inch by inch, not making any noise. My phone lit up on the living room table, and I saw a text from my best friend.


Babe.


Yeah? 


What's going on? I had a feeling I should text, but I don't know why.


I had the best night of my life with a man I just met in DC.


Wait what? I need fucking context.


He's rich, sweet, and good in bed.


Easy, quick, simple resume


See? You haven't even made it to China, and you are already having amazing experiences. 


This is just the start of it.


Don't get attached.


Don't get attached. I frowned and put the phone down, then tiptoed back to bed, lying beside the most amazing man I'd ever met. 


I woke up a few hours later and noticed he was already up and working. I got dressed and gathered my things to leave.


Will heard me up and moving and came out of his office to greet me. "Hola! Where are you going?"


"I've got to head to my hotel to pick up the rest of my things and check out, then pick up my visa to catch my flight home at 3 pm."


"You should stay for lunch."


I smiled shyly, "I need to pick up my things."


"Well, come back once you're finished, okay? I'll drive you to the airport after lunch."


"Okay."


"Text me when you're here, and I'll buzz you in."


"Will do."


I went to my hotel, picked up my few belongings, and checked out, then headed to the embassy, where my visa was ready.  


I texted Will: On my way.


I rechecked my flight info to make sure I had the boarding time correctly. A pop-up appeared saying that my flight had been canceled because of the winter advisory. The soonest available flight wasn't until 9 pm. I bit my lip, wondering what Will would say about that.


When I returned, he ordered lunch for us at Chipotle, and I told him the news.


"My flight got canceled because of the snow, and I might have to crash at your place a little longer. Sorry."


"Oh, good. I called the airport and told them to cancel your flight so I could keep you here longer."


I laughed, "Very funny, Will."


"But I'll be busy working during the day, so make yourself at home."


"I will."


Will finished eating and hurried back to his office for a meeting, and I ate my food slowly, enjoying each bite. 


Once I finished, I went to the thinking chair and sat down, tucking my feet underneath. It had been snowing all morning, and the bare trees outside sported a thick layer of snow on every branch.  


My mother called asking if I was at the airport yet, and I told her I would have to stick around a little longer but told her not to worry. I would keep her updated.


I spent most of the day just sitting there, looking out the window, and I felt time come to a standstill. Will would occasionally come out and sit with me, give me more wine, and hug me quickly before running back to his office.


I was at peace. Will's home didn't belong to reality, and as such, my problems didn't exist there. I felt safe and calm, and I wished for

 nothing more than to freeze time and stay there forever, sipping my Rkatsiteli and being with Will. I knew, eventually, the moment would be gone, but as soon as I closed my eyes, I would always be able to go back to this moment.








January 27, 2024 04:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Alexis Araneta
13:24 Jan 31, 2024

Beautiful descriptions ! Great job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Isobella Evans
10:13 Jan 28, 2024

growing in in the literal tundra your descriptions really accurate on what it is like to get stuck in the airport!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edd Baker
00:42 Jan 28, 2024

Great read, Valentina. Amazing descriptions of the scenery and weather. The last passage in particular I really liked, especially the line: “Will’s home didn’t belong to reality, and as such my problems didn’t exist there.” Really fun read.

Reply

01:57 Jan 28, 2024

Thank you for reading my story Edd! I actually have to confess that I did not have time to edit the finishing paragraphs of the story, but I'm glad you liked my stream of consciousness haha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.