1 comment

Inspirational Romance

“My heart burns to be with you, like a willow’s wood.” it read in the last line of his letter sent to me from the military. 

My eyes are still flooding with tears as I gazed over the letter again. It's been about four to five weeks since he passed, the rent is short, I’m on the verge of being fired, and this horrible accident has set a large fence in front of my path, my dreams, and my happiness. 

My phone rang, vibrating in my pocket. It’s my friend, Jenna, who has tried to set a spark of joy in me multiple times, none of them successful.

“Hey! How are you doing!” she enthusiastically states

Still wiping the tears trickling down my cheek away onto my cozy sweatshirt, I reply with, 

“I’m okay I guess.” trying to conceal my sore throat from the effect of the crying.

“At about 7:30, Some of my friends are going to my house for dinner and a little party, you wanna come?” she invites, I can sense her little scheme to get me out of the house. 

“I don’t think I’m feeling good, my throat is a little sore.” I say, now immediately revealing my hoarse voice.

“You can drop the act, Reina,” she scoffs with an annoyed tone, then pleads, “come on, it’ll be fun like how we used to!” 

“Ugh, Okay.” I reluctantly groan.

“Great! See you soon!” she replies cheerfully.

Now lifting from my bed, I open my closet wide, revealing layers of sweatpants and hoodies, speckled with unfolded laundry, behind in the back hangers, hang a few sparkly outfits, an earthy green emerald dress with detailed sleeve design, probably the most expensive thing I own, to the side, a prissy pink barbie doll dress with a sequins design on the  front, and an off-white short cottage-core dress with puffy sleeves, the dress I wore on my last date with Jacob before he went to the army, the faded ketchup stain still visible. I pick the white one, throw it in the washing machine and stare at my face and the variety of make-up assorted on my dresser. 

I’m surprised I still remember how to apply makeup, I cover up the angry pimples that sprouted up with foundation, and my dark eyebags with concealer, I look at myself, I look like I did before, before everything, it seemed different, a good different. I add a thin layer of blush, adding a pink glow to my pale skin, and a sweet baby pink shimmer on my lips.

After brushing my bushy hair straight down, I hook on the light blue crescent moon necklace that Jacob gave me. It glistens even now. The washing machine beeps, I throw the warm dress over my head, and slip on white sandals with small little heels. My reflection is like the old me, beautiful, funny, creative, and so much more, and I want to be that again now.

I step out the door and into my small maroon Toyota, it seems like forever since I’ve left home. “On my way!’ I text Jenna, trying to sound enthusiastic and joyful.

When I pull up near her house, I walk up to the door, I take a deep breath, and the doorbell rings. Only a few mere seconds later Jenna answers the door, and I hear the sound of laughter in the living room.

“Hi Reina! Wow you actually came!” Jenna yells with a surprised tone.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world!” I say sarcastically

She takes me to the living room, the chandelier above lights the people talking below. I notice some familiar friends and faces spotted around as they mingle together, unlike how I expected, I get added into the conversation quite quickly, and I’m  back to my humorous self as well, many friendships were connected and re-connected. 

I start to feel more welcome, in a way, most of the people here are old friends, but their bonds haven’t broken, out of basically nowhere, Jenna walks out of the kitchen carrying a chocolate cake, icing oozing off the side. My mouth waters. 

“Is there a special occasion?” I question

“No, just to everyone, I mean, you don’t need a reason to have a cake!” Jenna chuckled as she placed the cake on the table. 

In a way, it seemed it was for me, like my mind celebrating my success and rewarding me for it, my smile lifted, the cake oozed out melted chocolate from the inside. I cut myself decent slice, and let the warm substace melt in my mouth. I was proud of myself, but not like when others were proud of me, I was proud of myself. 

“Hey, Reina!” Jenna called over.

“Yeah,” I walked over to the couch she was on.

“You did good today.” she blankly says her tone impressed yet her emotion unidentifiable. “By the way, I know someone that would be dying to meet you, the new you, and I think…” she signals with her eyes leaving the sentence unfinished.

Giving her a slightly confused yet intrigued nod she shuffled me over to the couch across from us, and introduced me to Brice, he seemed to like me, and I liked him. I didn’t want to get into a serious relationship, but someone around can help. We laughed and talked together for what seemed like two minutes but time flies when you're having fun. After saying goodbye to all my new friends, I went back home, on my drive, I realized how much I have improved since the accident. I've finally got my life together, it felt good, like I finished the thousand piece puzzle of my life, like I won an award, and it was beautiful. This is now my new me, and this one is here to stay.

A text message pops up in my phone

-Jenna: Tonight was really fun!

-Jenna: Wanna do it all again Friday night, same time?

-You: I couldn’t agree more! See you there!

-The End-

July 07, 2023 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Miles Gatling
22:34 Jul 07, 2023

Loved the happy ending and the overall tone of your story

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.