0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Fiction

 Finally, a change of scenery I thought while unpacking my bags in my new apartment. I’d wanted to get out of my god forsaken town for years, but never acted upon it. That was until a friend from high school reached out about sharing a place in L.A. Now I immensely disliked living with other people, but thought it a favorable trade for moving someplace new. 


 Olivia knocked on my door, “Wanna do some sight seeing later with me and some friends?” She asked. “There’s this cool podunk bar, with an exoctic grill.” 


 I thought about this. The last time I went out some bum stole my phone, and somehow no one saw anything. 

 Not wanting to task a risk I replied, “I’m good, I’d rather just get settled here before doing anything too spontaneous”. 


 “Okay, well, you know it doesn’t hurt to get out of your comfort zone sometimes, not all people are like the ones back home Jane.”


 “Yeah, sure,” I scoffed, while rolling my eyes. Olivia backed out of the room, and I walked over to the sun soaked balcony. It was a saturday afternoon and the streets were filled with people. I peered over to see young couples laughing, and kids playing. Some senior citizens were sitting on a bench obviously reminiscing about the old days. My nostrils filled with the wonderful scent of food trucks on main a couple blocks down. 


 I realized next to one, no one knew me here, and that’s how I liked it. There would be no one asking me for favors, or stabbing me in the back. I learned to keep to myself, everyone expected something from me back home. 

I used to be like Olivia, always doing things, meeting new people, and one heck of an extrovert. But the reality of life hit me as me as I got older. Most anyone you meet doesn’t have your best interest at heart. Vulnerability is weakness, I knew this at my core. 


 So I choose to distance myself from reality, from people. Of course this isn’t how I wished to perceive the world, but after failed relationships and enabling addict parents almost my whole life, I had enough. Walls are safer. After checking out the view, I headed to the kitchen, where Olivia left a note.


 “Get out, enjoy the night, and get to know someone, you might be surprised by how open minded people are here. It doesn’t hurt. Love Liv.” Ugh why does she know me so well, maybe there’s some truth to what she’s saying. I grabbed my bag, and headed outside, knowing that yeah, it doesn’t hurt to take a stroll. Honestly, this is what I wanted for years, dreaming about living in a new city. To immerse yourself in a totally new environment, I knew that would be thrilling, and here I am. 


 I locked the wooden door behind me, pocketing the key. Where to first. I gazed at the park to find that the previously occupied bench was now open. How do old people move so quick? I guess I should have been watching where I was going cause out of nowhere a kid ran in front of me, almost knocking me down. Geez, where are your parents? I continued walking, and saw the Santa Monica pier that I knew was popular around here. Smelling the food trucks was making me hungry, I hadn’t ate a meal since before I left home.


 Excited to get something in my belly, I walked faster towards the pier. Olivia said the burger shop here was one of the best, I outta give it a try. As I arrived to the boardwalk, a cool wind brushed across my skin. How rewarding after a long walk. Hmm, I could smell the burger shop in all it’s goodness. I could see the line before I could see the good eats, seemed everyone else was just as hungry as me.


 I got to the back of the parade and a man grumbled to me, “What a wait, I’ve been here for 15 minutes already.”


 “Well always brace yourself for the worst, in this case that’s a burger.”


 The man laughed, “Well I guess you’re right.”


 While waiting I looked over at the Ferris wheel. It would be fun to take that for a spin, I can’t believe I’ve never been on one before, I’m gonna give it a go. 


 As if the same man before was reading my mind he said, “Such a wonder aye? They actually let you take food on it and ride as long as you want. I think despite the obvious cleanup they have to do, it’s a pretty good deal for people like us.”


 “Wow, that’s amazing, I’d hate to be the one to get those ketchup stains out.” I cringed at the thought. “I was thinking I’d try it out, It would be my first time on a Ferris wheel.” 


 In awe, the man replied, “Wow. Hey, my name is Hamilton. If you would want, that’s where I’m headed after I get my food, maybe I could show you the ropes?”


 I would normally never join a stranger on an expedition, but what did I have to lose?


 “As long as you’re not some serial killer luring me to my death, sure,” I responded with a chuckle, “My name is Jane.”


 “Oh no, not me. I actually prefer to be by myself, but you seem like someone I could get along with. Just don’t eat my food when I’m not looking,” He joked. 


 “No promises here, gotta get what I can.” I smiled. I’ve never had an interaction like that before, he seems funny enough, almost stupid to trust me. But maybe I’m just as stupid. Deep in thought about the encounter, I realized we were at the front of the line. I ordered a mushroom burger with fries, and Hamilton got a B.L.T burger. He surprised me by paying for my lunch without hesitation. 


 What a generous guy, I would have never done that for someone. We headed over to the Ferris wheel, and once again the cool breeze kissed my skin. The worker gal smiled, as we were the only ones to arrive and there was a booth open. What good timing. We sat down and up we went closer to the top. I was starstruck by the amazing view, I could see the beach in all it’s glory, with so many people soaking up the sun. 


 The water was deep but yet I could see right through to the bottom. The cargo ships were leaving the bay, while hooting their horns. It’s so beautiful, I would have never imagined this is where I would be a year ago. Much less with a complete stranger. I romanticized moving for so long and the experiences that would emerge. Maybe, just maybe this is exactly what I needed. 

I looked at Hamilton, who was enjoying the ride as well. He looked back at me, and gave me an ever so sweet smile. Oh what a ride life is. I smiled back and unwrapped my burger. 

August 12, 2021 18:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.