1 comment

African American LGBTQ+

    “Why do you drag on the bus each night?”

    “Tired. I run a small business.”

    “Come sit with me? I have thirty minutes.”

    “I don’t want to intrude on your layover time. Just help me step out for air.”

    “It won’t be. You look tired. Come have coffee and a bite to eat.”

    “If I sat back here, I’d never wake up. Damn, these seats are comfy.”

    “I’m Roma.”

    “Kathryn, my friends call me Kat. Like arrivederci, Roma?”

    “Strange parents. I have a brother named London and a sister, Paris. If I’m not too forward may I call you Kat.”

   “Yes. The names are cute and a bit sexy. Your parents travel a lot?”

   “Never home, but it turned out for the best. My grandmother raised us.  She was a modern woman before it became popular. Enough about me. Why so downtrodden? With your looks, life should be a blessing.”

    “Work. Deadlines must be met.”

 “You’re too beautiful for your forlorn look. Someone should take care of you. Kat, you’re very sexy. Don’t you have someone to tell you how gorgeous you are?”

    “No.”

    “Didn’t mean to intrude. It’s just your dark eyes call me.”

 “See you tomorrow? Whether you win of not, I’d like to spend some time with you.”

    “Yes.”

***

    “Hello, little birds. You want breakfast. I’m glad you don’t wake me like my last lover and yell and scream because breakfast I slept late. Your tapping is a great wake-up call. Now to get coffee, dressed, and call a cab.”

***

    “Mrs. Sinclair, I’m glad to make this presentation to you. These are my cohorts. Pat Thomas, photographer, and Tim Overbeck, copywriter.”

    “I’ve brought my partner, Sybil Lincoln and our finance manager, Alva Torres.”

    “Torres, have any questions for Kathryn Dunbar LLC?”

    “Are the companies on board with this. It’ll increase their budgets.”

    “Yes, In the back of the packet are commitments from ten companies.”

    “Ms. Dunbar, why my company?”

    “I ride the bus every day….”

    “Give us a minute. I like the ideas but want to hear my partners.”

    “We’ll be right outside. Take your time.”

    “Why should they go with us? We’re small.”

    “Might be the best reason. We can give them our personal attention. We gave them a great price since most of our money will come from the advertisers. I’ve got some dynamite pictures for the ads.”

    “Torres’ a little jittery but Sybil and I outvoted her. We’ve decided to take you on.”

    “I’ll make sure your trust is rewarded.”

    “Ms. Dunbar, I’d like to speak with you privately for a moment.”

     “You said you ride the bus daily, correct?”

    “Yes, ma’am.”

    “Please call me Addi. It’s short for Adelaide. How do my drivers treat the passengers?”

    “They smile, give information, and are courteous. I ride with Ron Alcorn in the morning and Roma, I don’t know her last name, at night.”

    “Any other times.”

    “Sometimes mid-afternoon and Saturdays and Sundays. All the drivers are an asset to the company.”

    “I’m having a company party tomorrow at four Come and bring your staff.”

    “We’d be delighted.”

***

    “You look happy today.”

    “I am. My company made a presentation this morning and got the bid.”

    “That calls for a celebration.”

    “When?”

    “Now. At the route’s end, I’m done. I know a place not too far from the turnaround. Great drinks, music, and food. Sit back and relax.”

    “Time to go.”

    “Why don’t you look sexy in those tight black pants and white pirate shirt.”

    “Thank you, ma’am.”

     “Like your dashing two-seater in cobalt blue with white interior. Smells new.”

    “A birthday present.”

***

    “Here? Isn’t Club Rouge a strip club?”

    “Yes. The menu is small, however, the food and view rocks.”

    “Your waitress will be with you shortly. In the meantime, can I get you a drink?”

   “I hope you don’t mind me having a brandy.”

    “No, I’d join you, but I don’t drink and drive.”

    “Nice place. Do you come here often?”

    “Maybe twice a week. Like looking at beautiful women. Now, tell me about your winning presentation.”

    “Before I do, I wonder if this is the week for people named after cities.”

    “How so?”

    “You know the bus company you work for is run by Mrs. Sinclair?”

    “She’s a nice lady but tough.”

    “Her name is Adelaide and wants to be called Addi.”  

    “Hmm, Let’s order, then you can tell me about your day.” 

    “What do you suggest? Everything sounds good.”

    “I’m having grilled roast beef with Swiss on pumpernickel with tomato and horseradish sauce on the side. For you how about a cheeseburger max with horseradish mayo. You can add peppers.”

    “Sounds great.”

    “The waitress is trying to tease one of us.”

    “Yeah, I got that. Back to Mrs. Sinclair. She came with her finance manager and Sybil her partner. Wonder what she meant by that.”

     “Could be one of two things, business or lovers.”

     “I think the latter. She said it with a wink. I made my presentation; they conferred, and she accepted. Torres, her financial person, wasn’t too thrilled but she got outvoted. Roma, where are you?”

    “Wondering how you’d look nude. Sorry, if I embarrassed you but you’re one hot lady.”

    “No one’s said that about me in a long time. I didn’t expect it from you.”

    “Why not? Didn’t you’d pick up on my attraction to you?”

    “I thought you were just being friendly, although, I did hope for more.”

The show began stopping their conversation.

    “Ladies and gentlemen, oops, no men here but you know what I mean. You horny butches get ready to see some of the sexiest women show you their bodies.”

    “I know you didn’t expect this, so I got some dollars. Spread it around.”

    “Never been to a strip show before. Do they take it all off?”

   “By law must cover, if you want to call what they wear covering, tits and crotch.”

  “You’re cute. Are you taken?”

    “I hope so.”

    “Well, if she ever disappoints, I’m here.”

   “I’ll remember but hope it never happens.”

    “Is there another bus?”

    “No, why? Did I do something?”

     “I want to go home.”

***

    “Tell me where you live so I can drive you home. Hey, what’s wrong? Did I do something?”

    “Are you taken? I don’t get involved with people in relationships.”

    “Oh, that. No, I’m not but I want to be.”

    “Want to come up for coffee?”

    “Yes, that would be nice.”

    “I don’t drive but having the extra space is nice. Park that gorgeous piece of machinery.”

    “Yes, ma’am.”

***

    “Make yourself comfortable. The bar is well-stocked. I’d like a Remy.”

“I want to see your legs. Put on these and relax.”

    “Wow, you look so sexy.”

    “They feel nice. Why red silk boxers?”

    “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

    “Try me,”

   “For you. I hoped I could get you here. They really show off your legs.”

   “Why thank you, ma’am.”

    “Think of Beth Hart’s “I’d Rather Go Blind if you ever leave me.”

    “Kat, I know you’ve been hurt and so have I but tonight let’s forget our past pain and see where this goes.”

    “I love your arms around me. I, for some reason, feel safe.”

    “I want you to always feel that way with me. I’d never hurt you. I want to take you on a journey to the stars and beyond. I want you to see colors you never knew existed and I want you to scream for me to take you.”

    “Wow, Roma, that’s a lot. Let’s finish our drinks in the bedroom.

    “Feeding time at the zoo. They wake me every morning.”

    “What a great wake-up call.”

    “After they’re fed, we can eat.”

    “I thought we did that last night.”

    “Food, silly but we can fit some more of that into the mix.”

    “See you at the party later.”

    “Yes, you will. Are you working tonight?”

    “No.”

    “Good, I have a surprise for you.”

***

   “What’s up, Kat?”

   “Oh, hi. Nothing.”

   “You called me here for nothing? I don’t believe it. You’re grinning. Still basking in the glow of getting the contract?”

    “Sort of. I had dinner with Roma.”

    “Who’s that?”

    “One of Sinclair’s bus drivers.”

   “And?”

    “Well, we went to Club Rouge.”

    “A strip club, why?”

    “It has great food and some gorgeous women.”

    “There’s more to this. C’mon, give.”

   “Watched the show and put one hundred dollars into their G-strings. The money a gift from Roma.”

   “The woman just gave you a hundred dollars. What did you have to do for it?”

   “Nothing really.”

   “It’s the really, I’m worried about.”

   “Afterwards we came back here. We made love. Pat, I’ve never soared so high so fast. Roma knew how to make me scream.”

   “You going to see her again?”

    “At the party and I asked her to return here tonight.”

    “Are you sure? She’s a bus driver.”

    “I wouldn’t care if she was a ditch digger. I want her. She’s sexy, loving, and great to look at.”

    “Kat, I’m sorry. I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

    “I know but I’ve never felt what I did last night.”

***

     “Hey baby, I missed you.”

    “It’s only been a few hours.”

    “Roma, these are my partners, Pat and Overbeck.”

    “Kat, this place rocks. Manicured lawns, black-vested waiters, and our benefactors holding court.”

    “Be right back. Seems Ms. Lincoln wants to speak to me.”

    “Kat, I see what you mean. She’s damn sexy. Those tight black slacks show off her assets. No pun intended.”

    “Ms. Dunbar, Glad you and your people could make it.”

    “Nice spread both the place and the party. Thanks for inviting us, Adelaide, Addi.”

    “You’re welcome, Kathryn.”

    “Please call me Kat.”

***

    “Why so nervous, chile? Sleeping with the dark-eyed wonder?”

    “Aunt Sybil, that’s kind of personal, don’t you think?”

    “You did.”

    “I…”

    “Don’t answer. Be careful. Remember what happened with Tamara?”

    “Yes.”

    “Kathryn is a looker. Your grandmother would take to her.”

    “Auntie, don’t want to hear about my grandmother having sex.”

   “What about me having sex?”

  “I was teasing Roma here about Kathryn, said you’d be interested, also reminded her about Tamara.”

    “Damn straight, if I were years younger and didn’t have neither of you.”

    “Ladies, “I’ll be ok. We both have been hurt. Kat and I haven’t spoken about it yet. We will.”

    “Kat, very familiar.”

    “She thinks Kathryn too formal.”

    “Roma, Does she know yet?”

    “Oh shit. Should be fun when she finds out Addi is your grandmother. Hope….”

    “Me too. We were busy celebrating last night.”

    “Great balls of fire, You and she?”

    “Yes, grandma.”

    “You need to tell her before it gets too deep.”

    “Maybe not. We didn’t tell your dad for two years and we worked here.”

    “Addi, he knew.”

    “Kat, have you met London and Paris my two other grandchildren.”

    “No, Where’s Roma?”

    “Sybil needs to talk to you, now.”

***

    “Have a seat. Would you like a drink?”

    “Yes, Ms. Lincoln, thank you. Remy.”

    “I know you’re shocked to discover Roma’s relationship with Addi.”

   “To say the least.”

    “My niece is a private person. She wants people to like her as her, not her money. She thinks she’s found such a person in you. Is she correct?”

    “Yes, ma’am. Roma sets my mind whirling.”

    “I’m not asking if you’ve slept together yet since I know you did.  No, Roma didn’t say but not saying told me volumes. I only ask you to take care of her.”

    “Ms. Lincoln, I plan to make Roma happier than she’s ever been. I’m falling in love with her. She’s sexy, sensuous, has a voice I love hearing. She’s everything I’ve wanted in a woman determined to make it on her own.”

    “You know now. What’s your next action?”

     “I didn’t know and I’m glad I didn’t. If you don’t mind, I’d like to go find her. I’m sure she’s worried about my reaction, and I don’t think she saw me come in here with you.”

    “Kat, go. I think you’re the perfect woman for Roma. Love her fiercely as I know she does you. Now scat.”

***

    “Kat, you’re still here. Where were you? I thought you left.”

    “Having a talk with your Aunt Sybil.”

    “Oh, I’m sorry about all this. I should’ve told you.”

    “No. It might have made a difference. I would’ve been more skittish.”

    “So, you don’t mind?”

    “Roma, I like Addi and Sybil and I understand their concern. I turned around and you were gone. Why?”

     “I got scared. My mind went into overdrive thinking you might call it off before it began. I didn’t want to hear you tell me you couldn’t see me.”

    “Baby, I want to see, touch and love you. I know we belong together. I want you to forget any hurt you’ve ever experienced. We still have things to learn about each other but how to love isn’t one of them.”

    “I didn’t think anyone could evoke such emotion but what you’ve said opens a tsunami of love for you. I’ll tell the old ladies we’re leaving. I need time with you.”

    “What old ladies? Addi or I could teach you, youngsters, a thing or two.” She saw Roma’s red eyes. “Are you all right? You’ve been crying.”

    “It’s nothing, Auntie. Kat just told me things I’ve longed to hear.”

    “Go, I’ll tell Addi you left. Take care of each other. Don’t worry about work either of you. Kathryn, we won’t be making any selections to pursue before Wednesday. Torres is notorious for dragging her ass, especially when outvoted.”

    “Why does she fight you two?”

   “She hopes like a poker player I know to win one day. Won’t happen. Go.”

   “Pat and Overbeck, be back Wednesday.”

***

    “Roma, let’s get something to eat. There’s a quaint place on the ocean with checkered tables.”

    “Sounds good. Let’s sit inside. Don’t like sand in my food.”

    “A dozen oysters? Trying to get me worked up?”

    “Yes. I want you hot and ready when we get home.”

    “Home, I like the sound of that. Kat, I may have to find a place to park and ravish you.”

    “Now, that might be fun.”

 “Kat, let’s get out of here. I need you.”

    “Can you drive?”

    “I saw a motel back about a mile. I can make it there.”

***

     “Baby, what’s wrong?”

     “You want a doctor? What can I do?”

     “Just hold me. I’ll be all right.”

     “Baby, I love you. I’m here. Let those tears fall.”

    “Thanks.”

    “Kat, I’m sorry. I felt a pain I hadn’t felt in a long time.”

    “Why? Were you remembering something?”

    “Yes. I saw Tamara, my former lover, in the distance. She was brutal.”

    “What happened?”

    “We went out for a while then she began to get pushy. She insulted me in public, slapped me and tried to get me to perform for her friends.”

    “I took it until my grandmother caught her hitting me. She threw her out and threatened her. Tamara left with, ‘your granddaughter ain’t worth my time.’ I wept for a week.”

    “I understand hurting. Hopefully, we’ll never fight like my lover.”

    “I’ll never hit nor demean you. I’m sure, Kat, we’ll disagree but I won’t hit you. I don’t believe in fighting unless it’s self-defense.”

    “Sorry, I wasted all that seafood.”

    “No problem. We can do it again.”

    “I want to go to a party. Are you game?”

    “Sure. Let’s drop my car off at your house. I need some fun.”

February 20, 2023 16:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Richard E. Gower
22:20 Mar 01, 2023

Lots of moving parts to this piece, but you've handled the transitions nicely so that the scene changes are clear. It's challenging to write a story using only dialogue, and you've done very well. But for the one tiny line of narrative (The show began stopping their conversation.) you would have met the letter of the prompt perfectly. 👏 Keep on writing.😊 RG

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.