The Broken Lance

Written in response to: Write about two friends getting into a fist fight.... view prompt

0 comments

American Drama Historical Fiction

   The Broken Lance

Suzanne Marsh

Askook, rode his horse, Many Coups, toward the sound that the wind was carrying to him. The Great Spirit, wanted something of him today. Askook, was always with his brother snakes, he would perch on ledges and watch snakes, especially the ones that rattled. The Great Spirit taught him how to handle snakes when was small. He heard the noise once again, on the wind. He loped toward the screams, coming from just below the ridge on which he stood. He glanced down to see a white man, withering in pain. Askook, had no doubt he had invaded the area where his friend with the rattle lived, inside the crevice of the smooth mountain rocks. Askook, knew he could not take his time going down to where he had finally located the noise. He began his descent toward the man. Askook, could hear his friendly snake rattling in a distance not far from the white man. He strode over toward the white man. The man was pale, frightened, then Askook noted the snake, coiled and once again ready to strike. Askook moved quickly, grabbing the snake by its head. He told the snake to be gone now, quickly, the snake departed from Askook. The white man began to moan, Askook, rapidly produced his hunting knife, the white man’s blue eyes grew larger. Askook, made the sign of peace among the Apache's, he only hoped the white man would understand. He worked as quickly as he could to cut the pants the white man wore. He then made several cuts with his knife and began suck, then spit out the poison.

Martin Hardy stared at what the Apache was doing; he could see his foot swelling to the size of a melon. Askook, motioned for Martin to sit still, he would return. Askook, grabbed his pony and rode out into the desert. He returned as the sun became high in the sky. He had found the plants and roots he required to make a paste, he then put it on the wound. Martin, was already feeling the effects of the strike, not only had his foot swelled, but breathing seemed as if it were a chore. Askook, gave Martin Valerian Root to help him sleep. That was the best thing, sleep. Martin slept for three days before he opened his eyes to find the Apache staring at him.

Eventually, Martin began to regain his strength, Askook stood watching on the painted red rocks, as the white man shaved his face. Martin smiled; he had learned a few words of the Apache. Askook, strode toward Martin, motioning for him to put out his hand, palm up, he then drew his knife. Askook first cut his own wrist then Martin’s:

“We blood brothers, you come village.”

Martin nodded that he would do that. Not knowing what to expect since the Apache nation had been at war for several years with the whites. Martin and Askook rode for several days, then one morning a village of tee pees emerged from the ground fog. They rode into the village, campfires burned, the smell of buffalo, cooking. Martin, glanced around him, he had no family left. Abruptly, a white haired, heavy set approached. Askook, quickly explained that Martin, had been struck by his friend with the rattles. The heavy-set Apache nodded, making the peace sign. Askook, stood proud, as he spoke:

“This chief Victorio, leader of Apache's.”

Martin, was sure he was about to be scalped but Askook, smiled. Martin had joined the tribe as Askook’s blood brother, no one would harm him here. Martin and Askook, rode out the following morning, part of scouting party to find buffalo. They hunted for several days before they found the herd. The loped back to the village in two days' time. The village, packed up, following the hunting party. The braves went first, then the women came and cut up the buffalo, they would have a feast and thank the Great Spirit for the food. Victorio, observed Martin, as he whooped and cut out a bull bison. It was Martin’s first coupe. Martin was rather pleased with himself as he killed his first buffalo.

Later that evening, as the braves ate a beautiful Indian maiden appeared. Martin and Askook, were awed by her beauty. Victorio, smiled as he watched the two young men gape at her beauty. Rain Falling was Victorio’s niece, his dead brother’s daughter. She was a vision of beauty to all who saw her. Rain Falling, her dark brown eyes smiling as she served the warriors. Rain Falling smiled a shy smile as she passed food to Martin and Askook.

The moon glowed a pale yellow, as Martin, walked along the path to the river. He waited for Askook to join him, instead Rain Falling appeared, a wraith like apparition. She smiled, then walked on. Askook, rounded the bend of the river as Martin, glanced down the river to glimpse Rain Falling, as she carried water back to Victorio’s tee pee. Neither Martin nor Askook had ever seen such a lovely maiden.

Three weeks later Martin, saw Rain Falling, once again by the river. She smiled at him; her dark brown eyes warm with happiness. Martin wanted her for his woman, but he was not sure what Askook’s feelings were for her. He decided to wait it out to see if Askook would seek her out. Askook, signed to Martin, that he was going hunting and would return soon. Martin took that as a sign that Askook was not really interested in Rain Falling.

Askook, returned several days later, with several, dead, gutted deer on his spare horse. Victorio, welcomed him and beckoned him to eat with him that evening. Martin went once again to the river where Rain Falling would be carrying water back to the camp. She was a vision of loveliness, as she put one jug after another in the river to fill them. Martin, strode over to her, smiling, as she returned his smile. He took her hand and laid it upon his heart, she repeated the gesture.

Askook, returned one again from hunting, to find that Martin was to marry Rain Falling. Askook, unsheathed his knife, he also carried his battle lance, moving quick toward Martin. Realizing he was in grave danger Martin, began to move almost in a dance step to avoid the knife. Askook, his lance in his hand hit Martin over the head, causing him to shake his head. Rain Falling, ran to Martin, tears in her eyes. She spoke to Askook:

“Why are you doing this?”

“Why? I want you for my squaw.”

Victorio, transversed the camp quickly, he did not want to see either of these men kill each other.

“Askook” Victorio cautioned:

“Blue Sky is our friend, stop.”

Askook, glared at Victorio, Martin held Rain Falling against his chest. Victorio then spoke:

“You will fight like men, with your fists. Rain Falling has made her choice.”

Askook, took the first swing, but Martin was faster. They punched each other until Askook could barely stand. The fight was over, Victorio, place Rain Falling’s hand in Martin’s.  

June 22, 2023 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.