0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Urban Fantasy

Walking by the beach, on a sidewalk that she knew so well, she sees few people staring at her. Why? Has she forgotten to put on her mask? It seems a nightmare but she is not sleeping. What is it, then? She passes by a car and sees her image reflected on its glass window. Suddenly she realizes her hair is a mess. She has just forgotten to comb it. Is this what people are so upset about, even in those days when "everything goes", as the music says? Perhaps it is. She picks up a comb in her purse and combs her hair. She looks much better now. Still, people go on staring at her. Looking again in a glass window of another car she passes by, she sees her expression. It is an astonishing face. She looks frightened, although she did not know she was. People almost offer to help her. Her clothes are not so old-fashioned after all. Since the seventies, jeans and t-shirt have been the official clothes for all.

Ever since the Vietnam war ended and people bought the soldier's uniforms, everything turned upside down. All the beautiful dresses her mother used to sew for her that made her look like a cute doll disappeared from her closet. With the exception of flower power times when girls wore flowers in their hair, clothes were all the same. Her mother was so distressed about it, that she eventually wore one of those dresses to please her. It was as if her mother guessed what was to come in the near future. Life would be getting harder and harder.

At the same time, many parties which she attended also ceased to be. What was happening? Where is everybody? Life had changed abruptly. She was walking by Ipanema beach as she did for decades but she longed for happier days when many friends gathered at this spot. Nobody stared at her because she was astonished by reality. There were laughter and songs. The "Girl from Ipanema" had just been created. Bossa Nova was thriving all around the world. Still is, but with a melancholy tone.

Life has been going on and old friends occasionally show their faces on social media. They share their stories. But where are they? This is a nightmare, after all. Walking among strangers, all, fortunately, masked and looking straight ahead like robots, is footage she never expected to be in.

Finally, she sees what people were staring at. It wore her Vietnam soldiers shirt, a vintage from the seventies. She, herself, was a vintage. She laughed for herself. She even chuckled a bit. Doing so, she looked down, not to show what she was feeling.

Looking up she saw a known face. Yes, she saw one of her friends from the past. He was coming in the opposite way. Did he see her? Did he recognize her? Suddenly he stopped. He saw her. He was coming toward her. He was smiling. She could see he was pleased to see her, even behind his mask. They stood still in front of each other. They were happy. They said so. They greeted the new way people greet now and they walked together the same way. One heard them laughing loud and it seemed they had a lot to say to each other. Perhaps they have plans for a new way of life?

The next morning, she awakened with a smile on her face. She found out some flowers and put them in her hair. Does she look ridiculous? Never mind. She remembered the happenings she used to attend in the seventies. All the girls wore long skirts with soft blouses and flowers on their hair. She was no exception. These were the "make love not war" times. What happened to this ideal? Nowadays people don't seem to care about love. They want war all the time. There is hostility in the air. All that love went away.

She went jogging the day after this one. She looked for him and didn't see him this morning. The beaches are closed. Nobody can go to the sand. There is a reason for that. Covid taxes have been increasing in Rio and the beaches are crowded places with unmasked people buying refreshments and food from street vendors. If one contaminated person touches something, he may contaminate many people. This is unavoidable unless it is forbidden.

The ocean looks great. Big waves from a hangover day after long-term hot weather, announcing rain and tempest. Nothing in the air still but clouds are gathering. Some thunder somewhere. Oh, not now, that she has just started a jogging program. The wind blows and the flower on her hair goes away. She should be using a straw hat instead, or a cap. The sun is very hot.

Where is he today? She does not know if he is single or married. They did not talk about that, only about old times. That is why they laughed so much. Spring was in the air. Flowers had a role to play in their lives.

She sees him. He is not alone. There is a woman with him. Her world falls apart. They pass her by. He faints he did not see her. She is so sad that she almost breaks down. After a while, she sits on a bench. He does not look back. He walks ahead of him. His companion did not seem to recognize her. She knew her, though. Maybe it is better this way. To know the truth. To live without illusions. She goes on jogging. She will come tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, please it does not rain. She will go on. She is strong and she faces life with her head up. She listens to her mother's advice of never giving up her ideals. She has a loving ideal. She would like not only to live a true love but to see everyone being true to themselves, free from social impediments. Is this a dream? She hopes not.

March 26, 2021 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.