Lessons of a lifelong learner

Written in response to: Write a story including the phrase “Better late than never”.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Middle School Teens & Young Adult

Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Who’s on first.?

Better late than never,

Better never than late.

Pick me Pick me! (WHO wants to be the last one picked.)

He who laughs last laughs alone.

Good times.

Bad times.

The best of times.


What do these phrases all have in common?


Time.

Time management.

The perception that we can change time.

After all, numbers do not lie, right?


The best present is to be present in the present. Time standing still.

Sounds like a good place to start.


Clockwise motion. Moving forward. Moving ahead. How do you think an optimist views the landscape. Like possibilities are endless.

There may be moments of one step forward two steps back. But, heck, even the most difficult logical, mathematical equations require intense concentration and studious attention to detail. And a level knowing of time spent. Effort given. Blood. Sweat.Tears? The value of……..the price of…time honored value. Old fashioned vs. vintage vs. “New.”


Disclaimer: The devil is in the details.


This small piece of advice. Not to frighten you. To keep you aware. Alert. Focused. Because, hey, we all get fatigued. The best practice is to not project unwisely your animous onto your brothers and sisters. We all prefer to be liked. Not lonely. But sometimes, isolation is required to clear our head and take the next best step ahead.


My apologies for my detour. But life lessons can be learned the hard way.


Back to the clock. Did you ever wonder why moving forward, ahead, is called “clockwise”. To be completely free of inhibition, worry and guilt, regret. The best present is to be present in the present. That way you are in sole control of the moment without any fear, knee jerk action reaction, move—a move that may lead to regret. Or at the least unnecessary confusion. And. Numbers don’t lie. Right?


So. Moving clockwise. To be wise is to not watch the clock-not be a clock watcher. Similar to predicting the weather, no one thing, device, weather person has the control of the weather. Disclaimer: Unless you have a personal belief in someone or something bigger than yourself. This is a freedom within yourself that you DO have.


Persons will come into and out of your life claiming to “help” you obtain your goal of the and in the moment. Be cautious. Go with your gut. That really makes a whole lotta sense. Because none of us want to leave our guts (or anything else behind us.) And. Blind faith seldom guides us anywhere but into the darkness.


On the matters of detours. Here is a short driving lesson for you: Learned “clocking” many miles on the road.


Crossing the border

need not cause such fear.

Remember you still have

the power to steer.

Many bumps down the road

are truly unknown

The future is never

written in stone

Take it easy, take it slow,

Roadblocks will appear

that will test your ability to grow.


So. Digital or in hands, hands free, or your version of Seeri telling you the time, and where you are going. Remember trust your gut. You know best. Trust your gut. Know where YOU are going.


This is not an un-optimistic view of the landscape. But whereas Seeri can detect heart beats. The device itself does not have a heart. This is just one of those “helpers” you hold in your hand, in your back pocket—admittedly we bring into our loos with us—that you gotta remember really does NOT have all the answers.


Those matters are best left to matters of the heart. The heart does not deceive. The heart feels for real. Not always freely. But definitely for real.


Distractions in the form of a cognitive load bombard us every day, everywhere we go. Add to this all the lip service coming at us on the screen, in our ears, from our parents, from our children, from our dogs, from our teachers, from our “experts” It is a wonder we are not all walking into walls.


Add to this our chosen “influencers” and who they “like”. Then we oftentimes become incapable of making a personal decision. Gosh. I do. Want to be liked and choose like, but I want to be liked, I kinda like the idea of being liked but how do I like myself if I do not even know what I like. What if they do not like me after I liked their “like”.

I do not know how to finish the sentence. Or even know the proper punctuation mark to use to “like” their like. Or is it “like” their like. I do not know about you, but that thought alone exhausts the beejeepers out of me. I am tired.


Optimism suggests we move clockwise.


Does pessimism require the opposite? Let‘s see. Or look.


Now let us address counter clockwise. Or another way said. Moving backwards in time. O.k. There is a time (ironic) and place for this context of moving time. Life matters may require this movement of time as a necessary evil at times. (Ironic again).


If the moment is great. Woohoo. Who would not want to relive and “like”. More joy added to our heart, our soul, our being. But. There when there may be a method to some’s madness. Madness may happen.


Disclaimer: The devil is in the details.


Ugh.

What to do. What to do. Lie, cheat, steal. To get the time “back” I think I am owed, “back”. Good times. Bad times. Present times. there is no denying some times in our lives do and will “set us back” to moments of becoming the least of the person we are capable of good naturedly living. One step forward two steps back.


To add and toss around the term “anxious” is to use the term as a vice or device. Which waters down the experience for individuals who have a bona fide true factual heart wrenching issue. That is not anybody’s “call”. If you believe in something or someone bigger than yourself, YOU can call upon that guidance. To “fix it”. Maybe. And hope the healing process begins. Anybody’s guess. I guess.


Clean up after yourself. After your own mess. A lesson learned in kindergarten and one to draw on throughout life. Sounds pessimistic, yes. Is in fact, factual for some. Yes. Value-laden. Yes. Not “fun” money or a “luxury” taxable item. Nope. Healing. Yes.


But at the end of the day. It is not our “call”. To “call” someone out and exploit their hurt. It is not our duty to do anything but listen. And. The best present is to be present in the present. Healed people heal people. But time is the order of the day. Hurt can stop time and the clock is neither going clockwise or counter clockwise. Standing still. Standing up. Starting up. Good times. Let’s begin.


In the spirit of: Seeking and finding the “right” answers. And conclusional valuable outcomes. Please explain your “answer”.


It’s About Time:


Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The chicken came first. He laid the egg.However he sacrificed his head as it was chopped off for future use. No one “wins” or Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and pessimist.


Who’s on first?

This is a priceless story of a story about confusion. It is a comedy bit by Laurel and Hardy (and has been copied most assuredly) But in their original innocence the point is made. No one “wins” or Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and pessimist.


Better late than never.?

It is never, ever too late. No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and pessimist.


Better never than late.?

It is never, ever too late. No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and pessimist.


”Pick me, pick me”. (WHO wants to be the last one picked.) No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and pessimist.

Disclaimer: There is a biblical saying that the last shall be first and the first shall be last. Reminder to remember.


He who laughs last laughs alone.

Not lacking a sense of humor or did not see the humor in it. No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and a pessimist.

Disclaimer: The devil is in the details.


Good times.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and a pessimist.


Bad times.

How soulfully best to “play” the hands you are dealt. No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and a pessimist.


The best of times.

When the most rational (logical)and the most irrational (illogical) merge together. No one “wins” and Everybody wins. The middle ground of an optimist and a pessimist.


Disclaimer: Not pretending to be a realist. A fear of being tackled like a linebacker, or squashed like a bug….Willing to spend the time hearing of and learning perception of a new and different lessons though!


Can closed minds open……like doors……A thought for next time🙂.


The best present is to be present in the present. Time standing still.

Sounds like a good place to start.


It is, After All, About Time!




















December 21, 2021 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.