2 comments

Inspirational

Rene Devine looked out to sea, from his small studio amid the rocks, he felt at peace to continue his art. People came from North and South to see his work transpire on canvas. The sea it self held many secrets and it could be calm or temperamental. He could paint a pleasant cottage scene. With flowers in the garden and smoke curling in blue in blue and grey hues from the chimney pot. Or if you wanted drama a lifeless body upon the cliff tops with pink grey sky with seagulls circling the air.

It had been an inspirational idea to turn his aunts cottage into a studio. Being her favourite nephew she had willed it to him. So here he spent many a day with his commissions and ideas about art in an artists world.

Soon Miranda his partner of ten years would appear with coffee. To see that all was well. They also owned a town house in Brighton that they shared. Both had been in different relationships fate had thrown them together. Like pebbles on the shore one might say. They belonged together.

Miranda appeared at eleven am, with his flask of coffee. She also saw that the fridge in the studio held food. Knowing that Rene put his work before anything else. Miranda herself was a painter of pet portraits cats, dogs and the odd parrot. She was slim with auburn hair. They complemented each other well.

They had Meet upon the shore. Both trying to capture seagulls at war over a piece of bread. A trip to the pub and they had cemented their relationship with a tinkling of glasses.

Did he still think about her? His fine Lady Bountiful, it was a subject they both vowed they would not bring up. She was history.

Rene held a rare talent, thats why people traveled from North and South to watch him paint.

Rene enjoyed others viewing his work. Often giving advise and accepting fresh ideas. One morning it was six am in the studio, when she had appeared in a grey cloak tied with string. Immaculate with piercing blue eyes. His vision Lady Bountiful herself.

Oh, if only he could capture her beauty and pale golden skin in oils. She had mouthed ''Catch me if you can?'' Each time Rene had got close to her she had moved around the small studio. Till she had vanished like the mists of time. Leaving Rene spell bound.

For legend had it that that Lady Bountiful only appeared as a a ghost to certain ones. Known to be a fishers mans daughter who

belonged to the sea. Rene had been found by the coast guard lying spread eagled in his studio with the door open.

A stroke, for six weeks Miranda had nursed him back to life. Miranda watched Rene accept the flask of coffee he was glad of her help, to proud to admit it. Slowly Miranda closed the door of the studio. She would see him this evening.

No Lady Bountiful would come between them or the wheel chair Rene used. Cruel it had been some weeks after the stroke, they had been invited to an Art exhibition. Held at a small gallery in Chelsea, who should be looking down on them but she. Someone else had captured his Lady Bountiful.

Was it sheer fate or was she just wicked? who knows, many had tried to capture her over the centuries. Priceless she was. Well, after Rene had accepted his fate. That she was not for him. Miranda was reality and they had stayed together.

Miranda touched the gold and silver crucifix that adorned her neck. To her Lady Bountiful was mystic and evil. Leaving Rene that day. How many had she tormented. Did the devil take a hand, when Lady Bountiful had turned up at the gallery in Chelsea. None of it bared thinking about. They had each other. They were an item Lady Bountiful would never settle.

A tormented spirit she maybe why, did she decide to come a shore that day. Would Rene have had his stroke, had she not appeared as a vision. Could she not stick to fishermen one would never ever know. Guilt over what had happened to Rene is that why riches and success had come their way.

Since his stroke certainly more people had come to visit the studio from afar. Rene still drove. A miracle how he still painted with his hands, thank goodness the stroke had not taken his talent as an artist away.

In fact there were picnics on the beach. Romance and more understanding between them, than before the stroke. Maybe Lady Bountiful had opened their eyes to each other. One should not think evil of the dead. Did she still watch over them? No one really knew the meaning of fate or how to explore it. The elements of life water, air and love of fine things simple things brought to life. Talent that would not be wasted Miranda smiled. Touching her crucifix once more.

She hoped that she or Rene would never have that woman cast a shadow over their life together. Rene had kept his word never to bring up his meeting with Lady Bountiful. Did that not show loyalty to her and the living. So why torment herself, over things that could not be changed. Was this not the devil playing tricks or her ladyship whispering in the wind. Never to leave Rene and Miranda alone.

The sea shells glistened upon the shoreline. While children played close by. Silly wistful thinking. A gentle breeze , songbirds, harmony with nature the smell of sea salt if Miranda closed her eyes. A gentle knock on the car window, how long had Miranda sat here subdued in her own thoughts. Rene had decided to close the Studio early. ''I was thinking how lovely you looked," he had said. I cannot lose you lets spend more time together'.' Miranda could not agree more. Feeling safe has they strolled together across the beach.

February 24, 2024 01:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rabab Zaidi
14:16 Mar 02, 2024

Nice. Right amount of mystery and inspiration.

Reply

Christine LW
19:57 Mar 02, 2024

Thanking you. Chris Law.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.