0 comments

Romance

“Are you sure you can’t come tonight?” Nadine asked her boyfriend, Warren, as she stood by the cabinet in their bedroom looking for her earrings.

“I’m sorry boo. You know how long I’ve been waiting to get promoted and I need to take every opportunity to show my commitment, even if it’s just showing up for a work dinner.” He replied making his way to her, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer to him.

“I know.” She agreed resting her hands on his broad chest.

“Besides, didn’t you say you don’t even know the person whose party it is?”

“Well it’s a friend of a friend’s of a friend’s party, but I never say no to free food and booze. And that’s exactly why I need you, since I won’t know anyone there.”

“I wish I could, but I will make it up to you.” He said in a husky tone which sent shivers down her spine.

“Oh yeah? How?”

“Well . . .” he started saying leaning in and planting soft, luscious kisses on her neck trailing up and down with his lips, “I could think of a few things but we can start . . .” he continued seductively tracing a line with his fingertips from her neck to her shoulder while slowly pulling down the spaghetti strap of her blouse, “by removing this shirt.” he finished as his lips followed the path his fingertips made.

“Warren!” she protested with a giggle. “I don’t want to mess up my hair.”

“I promise I won’t touch your hair.”

“Stephanie will be here any mo . . .” but before she could finish her sentence a gasp escaped her as she felt his hand slide between her thighs. “Mmmm . . . fine,” She managed to get out, “But make it quick.”

And that response got a big grin from Warren as he lifted her up and moved to the bed.

Twenty minutes later, Nadine was standing in front of the mirror fixing her hair into a classic bun when she heard honking coming from the front door.

“That must be Steph.” She said putting in the last pin into her bun. “Okay, I’ll see you later. Enjoy your dinner.” She said walking to the bed where Warren was sitting.

“Bye, I love you.” He replied as she bent down to give him a kiss and just as she turned around, he smacked her bottom which got a smile on her face.

* * * * *

It was close to eight when they parked on Devil’s backbone road with their destination a few feet away from them. Nadine and Stephanie got out of the car and walked up to the two story brick house where people were already gathering both in- and outdoors.

“So who do you know here?” Nadine asked as they walked through the front door and was greeted by a waiter with a tray of cocktails. “Oe, I already like this party.” She interrupted her own question as she took a glass for herself.

“So my friend Jacob is here with his girlfriend Antoinette, who is friends with the owner of the house. They apparently have parties like this every month.”

“They must be super rich to be able to do that. I mean, look at the amount of people around us and they have waiters giving out drinks like it is candy.”

“Yeah the wife has her fingers in all sorts of pies.”

“Wow. Wanna see if there are some actual pies at the food table?” Nadine asked already scanning the room.

“You read my mind.” And off they went to find the buffet.

With a plate in hand, Nadine and Stephanie ventured through the house with no particular destination in mind. Nadine stopped at a console table in the hallway as another waiter appeared with more drinks on their tray. She placed her plate on the table to grab a drink for herself and Steph.

“So where’s Warren?” Steph asked before taking another bite of her sausage roll.

“At a work dinner. You know him, work always comes first.”

“Yet you looked quite flustered when I picked you up.” She teased.

“Well that’s the best part of it. I always get ‘make it up to you’ sex and it’s definitely worth it.”

“Oh there’s Jacob.” Steph said looking at the tall, slender man with brown hair and glasses making his way towards them.

“You made it!” Jacob exclaimed when he reached them, pulling Steph in for a hug.

“Hey.” She replied returning the hug. “Jacob, this is my friend, Nadine. Nadine, Jacob.” She introduced the two.

“Pleasure meeting you. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Likewise.” Nadine responded reaching out for a handshake.

“You both look gorgeous this evening.” He complimented them.

“Not too loud, your girlfriend might hear.” Steph teased. “Where is she by the way?”

“Oh, she is in the living room talking to some friends. In fact let me take you to her. She’d love to see you, Steph.” And with that both women followed him to the living room.

“Stephanie!” Antoinette exclaimed when she saw them walking towards her.

“Look at you.” Steph complimented her as they hugged.

“Thank you. I can say the same about you. I’m so glad you came.”

“No more than I am. This is a great party. Thank you for thinking of me.”

“Anytime. I was surprised Jacob hasn’t invited you before.”

“As am I. He has been keeping all the free booze and good food to himself.” Steph teased.

“Hey now. I was making sure that this party would be up to your standards.” He defended.

“Uhu.” Antoinette and Steph replied in unison.

“Wow, I feel outnumbered.”

“Oh, this is my friend, Nadine. Nadine, this is Jacob’s girlfriend Antoinette.” Steph introduced again.

“Hi.” Antoinette said and immediately pulled Nadine in for a hug.

“Hi.” Nadine replied with a giggle. She immediately liked her.

“Oh, hey. Isn’t that Sarah?” Jacob asked Antoinette pointing to a woman standing near the entrance of the room. All four of them immediately looked to where he was pointing and saw an average height woman in a red dress and long brown wavy hair standing alone.

“Oh my goodness yes. I didn’t think she’d come tonight. I’m going to get her. I’ll be right back.” She excused herself.

Jacob, Stephanie and Nadine were deep in discussion when they were interrupted by Antoinette saying, “Let me introduce you guys.” They all turned around as she continued. “This is Sarah and her husband . . .” but before she could finish her introduction Nadine interrupted in a whisper, “Warren?”

“You know each other?” Jacob asked looking from one to the other.

Overcome with shock, it took a moment for Nadine to register what was happening.

“Dine isn’t that . . .” Stephanie started to say but was immediately interrupted by her saying “No, uhm . . .” Nadine looked from Stephanie to Warren and his wife and then focused on Jacob. “Uh, no . . . no . . . we uhm . . . You mentioned his name while . . . uhm we were talking just now.” She managed answer his question with a smile and when she looked back at Warren, she could see he was just as shocked as she was if not nervous as well.

“Oh, cool. Well Sarah and Antoinette went to college together and . . .”

“How long have you been married?” Nadine interrupted Jacob while folding her arms over her chest which gave some extra volume to her cleavage.

“Oh what is it, honey? Seven years?” Sarah said looking at Warren while tenderly placing her hand on his chest, the chest that covered Nadine’s naked body only hours before.

“Seven year.” He whispered in agreement not taking his eyes off of Nadine’s.

“Oh, that’s . . . nice.” Nadine replied plastering on a smile.

“Are you sure you two don’t know each other?” Jacob asked suspiciously.

“Uh, no.” was the response, this time from Warren. “I . . . We,” he corrected himself gesturing to himself and Sarah, “would have remembered if we had met your enchanting friends.”

“Yeah, for a moment he just reminded me of someone I used to know.” Nadine said the last part with a bit more emphasis.

‘I’m sorry’ Warren mouthed to her, but she was now past being shock and going into anger mode.

“Antoinette mentioned that the two of you run a business together?” Sarah inquired Nadine and Stephanie.

“Yes, we own a graphic design business.” Stephanie answered looking over at Nadine and reaching for her hand for support to which Nadine held onto.

“That sounds very interesting.”

“What do you do?” Stephanie asked trying to keep the conversation going.

“I used to work at a law firm as a PA, but quit about a year ago when I got pregnant so now I am a stay at home mom.” Sarah replied with a glow in her eyes.

“Pregnant?” came Nadine’s muttered response. “You have a child?”

“Yes, Jonathan. He is the sweetest little thing. Wait let me show you a picture.”

Sarah took her phone out of her handbag and as she was searching for a photo, Nadine mouthed ‘what the actual’ to Warren which only got an ‘I-don’t-know-what-to-say-to-that’ reaction from him. With every second passing, Nadine felt her heart break into more pieces. How could the man she fell in love with and who showered her with love and affection be living a double life?

“ . . . and here he is eating solid food for the first time.” Sarah said which brought Nadine back to the present and she looked at the picture on her phone.

“So what do you do for a living, Warren?” Nadine moved her focus back to him.

“Uhm I work at the National Bank.” He replied which was at least the exact same thing he told her, Nadine thought.

“Any promotions coming up?” she pushed.

“No . . .” he started saying but Sarah interrupted him vocalizing, “Oh yes. He has been working so hard trying to get this promotion that he barely spends any time at home. He is a workaholic but I knew that when we got married and I love that he is so passionate about his work.” She pulled him closer to her and placed a kiss on his cheek which was where Nadine drew the line.

“If you’ll excuse me. I need to get some fresh air.” She announced wanting to be anywhere but where she was right now.

“Do you need me to come with you?” Stephanie asked concerned.

“No, I’ll be okay. I just need a moment.” She said forcing a smile. And with that she left the group with Warren staring after her.

“Is she all right?” Antoinette asked to no one in particular.

“Yeah, she just ate some bad food yesterday which has not been agreeing with her.” Stephanie made up as she went along.

Not before long Warren excused himself to go to the bathroom in order to find Nadine. He finally found her in the backyard by the pool with her back towards him.

“Nadine.” He said approaching her and before he could even reach her she turned around staring him dead in the eye.

“Don’t even.”

“I am so sorry. I don’t even know what to say . . .”

“Uhm how about the fact that you are not only married, but you have a baby! A freaken baby Warren.”

“You were never supposed to find out.”

“No shit Sherlock!” she expressed a bit too loud which got a few looks from guests around them. Lowering her voice she spoke again, “So what? You just planned to go on like this, have a beautiful family and keep me as a mistress?”

“No, Nadine! I love you . . .”

“Bullshit. No one who loves someone would ever do something like this to them. And she has no idea . . . wow, you must feel so proud of yourself for deceiving two woman. Or are there more and I am just one of the many?”

“No, it’s not like that at all. Things haven’t been going well in our marriage for a long time and when I met you I wanted to divorce Sarah, but then we found out she was pregnant and I couldn’t leave my kid with a broken family.”

“Yet you are barely home because you have a mistress.”

“Nadine, I . . .”

“Just tell me one thing . . . was any of it real?” she managed to say as tears were building up but she refused to let herself cry.

His shoulders immediately sagged as he tilted his head to the side with a look of regret and shame.

“I love you, boo. I am in love with you and every moment I spend with you is what makes my day.” He confessed and without thinking twice he reached out for her enfolding her in his embrace.

After a few minutes, Nadine broke free from the warmth of his embrace.

“I just don’t know what to think.” She said looking into his eyes for answers.

“Then don’t think. Feel.” He spoke endearingly lifting his hand and caressing her cheek.

“Warren?” Sarah’s voice echoed across the backyard which caused them both to look in her direction. “What’s going on here?”

The End

August 27, 2020 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.