MUSEUM OF THE PAST: A WALK THROUGH LIVING HISTORY

Submitted into Contest #242 in response to: Write about a gallery whose paintings come alive at night.... view prompt

2 comments

Historical Fiction

I always wondered what the past was like. I always wondered what the people were like. Were they nice, happy, cheerful? Or were they sad, angry, hopeless? The past fascinates me.

I love history. I love learning anything and everything about history. For the longest time I have been researching a time period that has been my obsession for so many years. This time period spans 100 years in the 20th Century.

The 1900's is what made my time, the year 2550 what it is today. History is part of us, a part of who we are. I want to show my love of history to everyone.

I've done research. I found many paintings that belong to this time period. It took me a long time to find what I need. Very soon this new museum will open up to the public.

I've hired so many people to help me with this project. So, I haven't seen how the whole museum looks. I've only seen my part. I'm very excited.

I'm, not going to tell you what paintings I found until the museum is all finished. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Two weeks later, the work in the museum is coming along perfectly. The gallery I'm working on is coming along beautifully. I'm just adding a few more finishing touches. Their perfect.

I back away and see how amazing the gallery looks. History is coming alive. I love it. Now I'm going to see how my team is doing.

I walk through the museum talking to my team about their gallery. They tell me the gallery is coming along great and that they need another week.

I give them another week which is great for me. This extra time allows me to set up the holograms that will explain to the visitors what each gallery is all about.

Two days from today the museum opens up to the public. I'm doing my final walk through. Wow, everything looks so beautiful. I'm checking the holograms when I hear a noise coming from one of the gallery's.

I walk to where the noises are coming from. I walk up the stairs and to the right. It's coming from the sports gallery. I walk slowly and stop at the entrance to the gallery.

I walk in and immediately duck. A ball comes flying towards me. What the hell was that? I look more closely at the gallery. I see something unexpected. Standing before me is perhaps the greatest baseball player to ever live, Babe Ruth.

He's looking straight at me. Wow, he's a larger than life person. I hear someone coughing behind me. During my research I read about this game. Baseball was a very popular game back in the day. This guy with the ball must be the pitcher.

I back away. The pitcher throws the ball. Babe Ruth hits again and again and again. This is amazing. I watch the game of baseball for a few more minutes. This is such a cool game.

I hear more noises coming from the sports gallery. I walk to where the noises are. Oh My God! I see the most iconic figures in the sports of football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, track and field and so much more alive.

Wow, these iconic games are amazing. All these different sports are unique and great in their own way. I see the likes of Hank Aaron, Carl Lewis, Bo Jackson, Martin Brodeur, Venus and Serena Williams, Magic Johnson and so many more. You know what's more unbelievable they are playing their game and I'm seeing them play.

I can't believe history is coming alive. I walk around the gallery taking it all in. I wave at these historical figures and they wave back. What else am I going to see?

I leave the sports gallery and walk into the main hall. I keep walking when I hear more voices coming from different parts of the museum. I walk to where the voices are. Standing before my eyes are some of the most important and iconic people in this country's history.

I see Martin Luther king, one of the great leaders of the civil rights movement. I hear him giving his most iconic speech I have a dream. Wow, it feels like I'm back in time watching and listening to him.

Then I see Theodore Roosevelt, the country's 26th president. Over there are the wright brothers. They are aviation pioneers who create, built and flew the world's first airplane.

Who can forget about FDR, the only person to serve three terms as president and led this country through the Great Depression and World War 2. I'm watching as FDR gives his first inaugural address. I feel like I'm right there with the crowd watching.

I can't believe my eyes. I'm walking among legends, These men made this country into what it is today. I hope we are doing right by them.

I keep walking and walking and walking seeing so many iconic figures. Now I'm entering the women's section. The women who were amazing and did the most amazing things.

These incredible women were entertainers, fought for equal rights, social justice. They were brave and strong. They were pioneers.

I open the door and before my eyes I see women who are larger than life. There is Susan B Anthony who fought to end the injustice women faced and fought to end slavery. She played an important role in the passage of the 19th amendment in 1920 granting women the right to vote.

If it wasn't for Susan B Anthony and all the women who fought for our rights I along with many other women and girls wouldn't be here right now.

I walk pass Susan B Anthony, I wave at her. She smiles and waves back. Amelia Earhart is right over there. The first women to fly solo around the world. She's staring right at me. I wave at her. She waves back.

I just waved at Amelia Earhart. How cool is that? Still to this day no one has ever solved her disappearance.

Oh My God! I'm walking pass Rosa Parks and Althea Gibson and Billie Jean King. Bessie Coleman is also here. How are they all alive?How is this happening? They were paintings and pictures now they are alive.

I see more amazing women I'm literally walking next to. Women like Madame CJ Walker, Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.

All these women have made amazing contribution's, too many to even count. I can only stare in amazement and wonderment.

I watch as Amelia Earhart and Bessie Coleman get into their planes ready to take off. Wow how cool is that? I get to see these two amazing women fly. Boy do they now how to fly.

Walking in the footsteps of these heroes and legends is something I will never forget. I sit down admiring them all. So much history in one place. History is alive.

I don't know how my museum came alive. I'm glad it did. I got to relive moments and see historical figures I read about about come alive right before my eyes.

History is to big to fit in one place. There is still so much left to be discovered. But for the time being, I hope the public enjoys what me and my team did for them. In the mean time I will continue to watch the living history before me.

March 19, 2024 20:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J. I. MumfoRD
15:14 Mar 28, 2024

Hey Melinda, I really admire your passion for history and storytelling in your writing! I think your story has a lot of potential, but I noticed that sometimes it moves from one part to another really quickly, which can make it hard for readers to really get into the story. Also, while the historical figures you include are super cool, they feel a bit flat in the story. Try adding more details and feelings to them to make them more realistic and interesting. In this instance focusing on fewer characters to really round out the interesting pe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
02:13 Mar 26, 2024

This makes learning about history into a fun activity. I can imagine using this story in schools to introduce students to historical figures in a creative way and hopefully arouse their curiosity to learn more. I enjoyed this journey through the past. Using the museum for history instead of paintings is unique and an original idea. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.