1 comment

Drama Inspirational Teens & Young Adult

"I didn't move down here to repeat the process. I left my parents in order to find independence, build courage, and make a career for myself," Kiandra paused as she took a sip of her drink, "It seems that I'm stuck with the same outcome when applying for jobs. I get turned down by every employer who views my application."


After downing her glass, the young lady pushed it toward the bartender. "Keep these coming. I want to be super drunk where it seems impossible for me to walk."

Kiandra's date reached for the wallet in his pocket, placing two $50 dollar bills on the counter. "Thank you for your services, kind sir. It seems that my lady isn't feeling well and now I must take her home."


Kiandra shoved his shoulder, snapping her fingers at the bartender. "My head hadn't dropped on this table, I'm still sober, and my brain is functioning normally. Forget what he says. I'm not done drinking."


The date firmly grabbed her arm. "We're not arguing about this. Either I take you out of here on your feet, or over my shoulder. If you want to keep your dignity, I suggest you agree with the first option."


Kiandra looked at him with hazy vision. She ran her finger down the left side of his face. "I guess you've got your life all figured out, don't you? A place to call your own, you have stable finances, two cars, endless friends, and women at your fingertips. You're quite the Bachelor, aren't you?"


Running a hand through his hair, the date let out a huff. "Nothing in my life is perfect. Not even close to it. I'm just taking things day by day, trying my best to make a living. I'm no better than anyone in this bar."


Kiandra let out a loud "HA!" noise, turning her posture to face him. "That's where you're wrong, Mr. Vegas. See, your life is more preferable than mine. Wanna know why?"


The bartender leaned closer, while using a cloth to wipe the bottom of a glass.

Mr. Vegas sat down in his seat, focusing entirely on what Kiandra had to say.

Catching a wave of dizziness, the young woman raised a finger. With the closing of her eyes, and a present smile on her face, her head went face first on the counter.

Mr. Vegas immediately held her in his arms, assuring that's he's gentle with her body.

The bartender slid a piece of paper toward the edge. "I know someone who can help her overcome what she's going through. I know all about that type of drinking. This young lady has a lot going on, and it's important that she seeks help while the matter is still early."

Picking up the number, Mr. Vegas nodded his head at The Bartender.



-THE NEXT MORNING-


Waking up with a throbbing feeling in her head, Kiandra slightly groaned.

Vegas put down the book he was reading, standing by her bedside. "Good afternoon, Miss Tipsy. I would hope that you've gathered all of your needed sleep, as this is about to become the busiest day of your life."


Shielding her eyes from the bright room, the young woman turned her head to the side. "Ugh! I don't have time for your shenanigans. Pick on me when I feel up to it."


Kiandra softly sighed as she placed a plump blue pillow over her head.


Glancing at his wrist watch, Vegas stood at the foot of her bed. "I would hate to sound like a broken record and give you another ultimatum, but it seems as though you need it. I would like it if you would get out of bed because you and I have some important things to attend to. I realize that your head isn't in the right space at the moment, but---,"


Vegas was interrupted with a pillow to the face.


Kiandra cuddled deeper into the covers, exasperatedly sighing.


Clearing his throat, Mr. Vegas nodded in understanding. Without warning, he yanked on the blankets, exposing her silky night gown.


Kiandra jolted up, covering herself with the tucked in sheets.

"Are you insane? Get out of my room!"


Vegas looked intensely at Kiandra, but he didn't utter a word.


Frustration seeped into her mind as she now stood from the bed. "Look, just because you helped me get home last night doesn't make you my boyfriend. I don't have to abide by anything you say. While I'm asking nicely, I want you to get out of here."

Vegas slowly walked towards her, holding his hands out. "The last thing I'm trying to do is upset you. I'm here to offer my help."


Kiandra pulled at the strands of her hair, "You, my therapist, and my parents can all go to hell! Stop talking to me as if I'm some... psychotic lunatic! I don't need help! I never asked for it! I will never request it from the likes of you."


Kiandra placed a hand over her mouth, releasing a loud gasp.


"Oh my God! Vegas, I'm so sorry. I swear that I didn't mean any of it. I was just---,"

Rushing over to engulf her in his arms, Vegas shushed the panicking woman.

"I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere. Just let it all out. Rant, curse, cry, hit me, or even scream. Whatever you have to do, I'm here to support you."

Kiandra looked in his eyes as he spoke those words, feeling herself crumble at his sincerity.


"I can't do this anymore, V. For a long time, I've lived in a world where I believe that everything is going to be okay. I keep trying to show courage, I've tried feeling inspired, and even smiled everyday. Not a single one of those factors can improve the way I live life. I mean, look at me. I'm a failed story writer, I can't find anyone who wants to hire me because of my social skills, my mother despises me because of the bond my father and I have, and my best friend turned traitor on me when I needed her the most," Kiandra let out a deep breath, "I'm even ruining your life because you have to play babysitter."


In a steady motion, Vegas pulled Kiandra away from the hug. "Right here, this is where the impossible stops. There's no more denying your worth, criticizing your abilities to become a writer, and blaming yourself for the decisions others chose. I've stayed by your side for 8 years, and I plan on remaining in it for all of eternity," Vegas wiped the fallen tears from her face, "Starting today, this is where you unlock your chapter to a whole new beginning."


Kiandra lightly held onto his arms, "You're right. I can do this. It's my time."

Vegas bent closer to her face, extending his ear out. "I'm sorry, I don't believe that I heard you. Could you speak a bit louder?"


With the brightest of smiles she could muster, Kiandra threw her head back and closed her eyes. "I CAN DO THIS! MY TIME TO OVERCOME ALL OBSTACLES BEGINS NOW!"


Vegas held his hand up for a high five. "That's what I need to hear! Spoken from a woman with tenacity! Now, hop in the shower and let's get out of here!"


Kiandra rushed off to the direction of the bathroom, but stopped in her tracks. She fiddled with her fingers for a second, causing Vegas to stare in wonder.


His curiosity was solved when holding Kiandra. With her hand behind his head, she immersed their lips into a kiss.


It was warming, endearing, and sweet.

Lost in her touch, Vegas held onto Kiandra a bit longer.


..................

-4 WEEKS LATER-

"It's not refreshing, V. Why doesn't my email want to update?" Kiandra asked in a panic


Vegas crossed his legs, smiling to himself. He hadn't uttered a word the entire time, just watching his girlfriend pace the floor.


A buzz sound came from her phone, causing Kiandra to immediately check on it.

When she realized it was just a Youtube notification, her heart sunk. Her phone was inches away from hitting Vegas as she tossed the device on the couch.


The man bit the inside of his cheek, lowly calling her name.

When the young woman heard his voice, she turned toward him.


The man sat upright as he patted the surface of his lap.


The second her bottom touched his thigh, Vegas leaned in to kiss her on the cheek.

"Now that you've just brightened my day, let me see if I can return the favor," Vegas placed a soft hand on her leg, "Miss K, please assure me that I'm not seeing signs of stress. Maybe my mood reader is broken, but I am unsure. Can you verify that bit of information for me?"


Kiandra playfully rolled her eyes, resting her elbow on his shoulder. "It is safe to conclude that your machine is indeed broken. It's knocking your senses way off."


Vegas looked up at the ceiling, placing a finger under his chin. "Mm-m. My senses radar is ringing, signaling that my baby is feeling uneasy. You wouldn't be lying to me, would you?"


Kiandra put her head down, letting out a huff.


Vegas held onto her hands, softly squeezing them. "I want you to close your eyes. Listen to my words and take all of it in."


It took Kiandra a few seconds before she complied.

When Vegas saw her eyes tightly closed, he began speaking.


"I can't promise that things will turn out perfectly every time, but I can confirm that you won't live in troubled days anymore. You've worked hard to reach this point in your life, and paradise is what you'll see. No matter if you get the job (which you will), or not... there are always plenty of opportunities for you. I will submerge my positive thoughts in your mind each and every day. I will never let you falter," releasing a slow breath of air, "Your true blessings will start from here on out. No more bad thoughts. Worries. Stress. Or negative energy. You've got this, babe!"


Kiandra opened her eyes, immediately feeling uplifted. 


Both sat with their foreheads collided, when another notification sound came through.


Vegas reached for her phone, holding it away from Kiandra. "It doesn't matter what you see, we're not going to give up hope. I want you to know that I'm proud of you. I love you, and I have full confidence in you."


Kiandra scoffed, "Aren't you a romantic?"


After the kiss on her hand, Vegas passed Kiandra her phone.

Letting out a deep breath, the scared woman clicked on her email.

The second she opened the file, her eyes grew wide.


Jolting off of his lap, Kiandra stared with disbelief. As she read over the first sentence, her hands began to shake. It was pure emotion seeping through her heart.


Turning around to face Vegas, the man was kneeling on one knee.


Kiandra nearly dropped her phone, quickly grabbing a hold on it.

She shook her head, eyes watering back up.


Vegas delicately kissed her hands as he looked into her eyes.


"From the moment we became friends, you brought a spark in my life. It wasn't normal for me, and I didn't want to let you go. You turned me into a man with a mature mindset. My heart became wholesome the more I took in your heavenly scent. My love for you expanded when you saved me from an abusive home. When you first showed me your genuine smile. The second we enjoyed our first cup of tea together.

I knew then that I didn't want to be away from you," Vegas reached into his back pocket to pull out a ring, "Kiandra Nicole Herring... would you do me the honor in becoming my wife? To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poor. Will you have me as your lawfully wedded husband?"


Kiandra didn't hesitate when she bent down to kiss him.


Vegas stood tall, spinning with Kiandra in his arms.


With her feet planted firmly on the floor, Vegas slid the ring onto her finger.


Kiandra wrapped her arms around his neck, rubbing their noses together. "This has become the greatest day of my life. I want to thank you for all that you're doing. You've ended my world of depression. Without you, I wouldn't be standing here as your wife. I wouldn't have had the confidence to write again. And I wouldn't have had the desire to live.

I want to say thank you, I love you, and I never want to live on this earth without having you as my husband."


With that, the two continued holding onto one another.


THE END


April 01, 2023 06:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Amanda Lieser
05:10 Apr 27, 2023

Hi Kimani, I loved the way this story had such a positive ending. I think it dealt with some very serious themes very well and your decision to start it in a bar was perfectly done. I also enjoyed the tenacity of Mr. Vegas and I only hope that these kinds of stories always end up happy. I also really enjoyed the way this story flowed together. The only thing I would change is letting go of the time change lines because you do an excellent job of introducing each scene and could weave the sense of time change in without staying it point blank...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.