0 comments

Romance

Loreal paced the floor of her living room. Too anxious to even notice the beauty of the autumn colors bathing in the sunlight. Her third floor apartment windows offered her a bird’s eye view of the park and the tops of the trees. Leaves dancing along the sidewalks below went unnoticed. 

Wringing her hands, she questioned everything. How did she end up agreeing to a blind date? A blind date!

“I can’t believe I let you talk me into this.” She gave her friend a sharp look.

“You’re going to wear a hole in the floor if you don’t stop your frantic pacing.” Andrea sat calmly on the couch. “You’re becoming unhinged.”

“I’m a nervous wreck. I’m meeting a complete stranger.”

Her friend smiled inwardly. Complete strangers? Loreal would soon find out who the mystery man really was.

What was the point of a blind date when she would be too nervous to be herself? Loreal stopped in front of the full-length mirror, turned in each direction to examine all sides of her, and smoothed her dress. At least the dress would make an impression. She hoped. The dark coral colored dress complimented her tan skin. The hem, ending just above the knee, revealed her slender legs. She had switched from bedazzled, eye-catching heels, to a more modest black pair with a strap at the ankle. She felt confident in the way she looked, if only her nerves would settle down to allow her personality to shine through.

“You look perfect. Please just try to relax and enjoy the evening.”

“You won’t even tell me his name?” She exhorted, hoping Andrea would divulge just a teensy bit of information.

She shook her head, “No, that’s the fun of it.”

“Then how on earth am I going to know who I’m looking for?” Loreal asked.

Smirking, “Hopefully after tonight, you need not look any longer.” 

Loreal laughed through her nose. “That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

Andrea gave her an encouraging smile and handed Loreal her clutch, preparing to shoo her out the door. “He’ll be wearing jeans, a black blazer and a red dress shirt. Brown hair. And he’ll have a rose. Now go.”

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, a similar conversation was happening. Nolan was pressing his friend for more information on the mystery girl he was meeting. 

“How will I know who the rose is for?” He asked, frustrated. A rose, how cliché, he thought to himself. “You didn’t sign me up for that ridiculous Bachelor TV show did you?”

“Ha!” Evan cackled. Slapping his knee, he stood up. “Just as long as you give it to the girl in the dark coral dress.” 

Nolan was completely baffled. “I don’t even know what that color looks like.”

“Neither do I, but that’s the description I was given.”

The skin between Nolan’s eyebrows wrinkled with suspicion and confusion. He didn’t bother asking who the description came from, his friend wouldn’t give up any information. “This is going to be a disaster.”

As instructed, Nolan headed for the bar to wait for his date. To sit or to stand, that was the question. He first decided to stand, then he sat, before finally settling on a combination of the two, with his back to the bartop. Either way, he felt absurd with the rose in his hand. No matter the age, any warm-bodied female that walked by eyed him up and down. The look on their faces were all the same. As if they were imagining what he looked like with his shirt off, offering the rose. Not that he wasn’t used to lustful glances being thrown his way, but this time he was awfully aware of the banality.

Should he order a drink? What if he did and his date didn’t drink? Maybe he should just wait. Questions and thoughts pummeled his mind.

A voluptuous blonde walked in in a color dress he couldn’t identify. She stopped. She was searching for someone. He watched her, hoping she wasn’t the one the rose was meant for. He had dated women who looked like her. A flicker of interest crossed her eyes when she met his own. He gave a faint smile and looked away. Closing his eyes, he thought to himself, please not her. Luckily, she spotted who she was looking for and trotted off.

After taking too many deep breaths, Loreal felt a wave of lightheadedness come over her. She braced herself on the romanesque pillar outside the front doors before relinquishing herself to whatever the evening would bring. She headed for the bar, as instructed. 

The majority of the barstools were occupied. Women. Men. Couples. One of them must be him. But who? Upon further inspection, only one man looked alone. The seat next to him was empty. There was no obvious rose, not from the angle where she stood, nor by the direction he faced. His right arm rested on the black granite surface, one foot setting on the footrest, the other firmly on the floor. The handsome profile of the lone man caught her attention. 

He hadn’t noticed her yet. She took several steps forward, just a mere five feet away. Tilting her head ever so slightly in disbelief. The profile was unmistakable. Sucking in a breath of air, it caught in her throat. 

Nolan must have heard the gasp, or sensed her presence. He instantly turned, meeting her eyes. “Loreal?” He rose from the barstool, electrifying the air that now sizzled between them.

“Nolan.” Was all she managed from her lips as he approached. The look of surprise on her face was unavoidably obvious.  

“I’m shocked to see you. I didn’t know you were back in town. What are you doing here?”

His warm, brown eyes. His height. The tender, eager look upon his face. All of which brought back a flood of feelings. “I’m here to-” She cut herself off as her eyes drifted down to the rose dangling in his right hand. “I’m here to meet a man...with a rose.” 

No way. No way was his blind date his high school sweetheart. Stunned silence inevitably followed the epiphany. Disbelief. Excitement. And most of all, hope infiltrated every corner of his being. 

The edge of his mouth tipped up, “So does that mean your dress is what one would call dark coral?”

She let out a small giggle. “Yes, this is it. I guess I’m the one you’ve been waiting for.” 

Yes. Yes you are, for twelve years. But he knew he couldn’t say those words. Not yet anyway. 

Loreal wasn’t sure how she felt about her long lost love being her blind date. There was never a doubt in her mind when they were younger that she wanted to marry him someday. But when she went off to college, he ended their relationship. Would this night dredge up old memories? Would she be left with the same heartbroken feeling from twelve years ago? Just put on a good face and get through this evening.

Nolan held up the rose in the center of his torso. “Would you like this rose?” He twirled it in his fingertips.

Her heart picked up its pace and then clumsily skipped a beat. What was happening? She peered up at him through her long lashes. “Yes.” She brought the petals to her nose and breathed in the sweet scent.

He offered her a seat at the bar. She ordered a scrumptious autumn sangria. He chose a robust whiskey with accents of maple, chocolate and orange. The two former lovers caught up on life and everything that has happened since they last spoke, those twelve long years ago. Nolan let his feelings rekindle and ignite. While Loreal, held back her emotions, making sure they didn’t resurface only to sting her later.

“I have an idea.” Nolan’s voice was energetic, his eyes lit up. “Instead of having dinner at a place that was chosen for us, how about we take this somewhere else?”

Quirking a brow, she wondered what he was up to. “Where do you suggest?”

“Oh, I don’t know...” A playful look clung to his face. He did know. “I was thinking our favorite place to get hot dogs and fries back in the day.” He waited for her initial response. His attention was drawn to her lips as she tried to suppress a smile.

“You mean to Jibby’s Hot Dogs?” Her smile was on full display now. “Is that place still around?”

Noland released a huff of laughter. “Yeah, it’s still around, let’s go.” He paid for their drinks and headed out for hot dogs. Neither of them saw a reason for her to take another cab. 

Sitting outside under strands of lights, they enjoyed the place they spent countless dates. Hot dogs with cheddar cheese and chili sauce, and french fries dressed the same, was always their go-to meal. 

Loreal’s nerves melted away like the cheese melting over her food. Both of their forks went for the same glob of fries on their shared plate. He, ever so playfully, swatted her fork away with his. Then shoved the fries in his mouth. Smiling and chewing victoriously. Her jaw jutted forward. Snatching the plate away, she turned and stuffed in the cheesiest of the fries. No longer did she have to worry about trying to be herself. Nolan always brought out the best in her. Their playful nature toward each other was as natural as the autumn breeze.

He never forgot how much he adored her. Could this night have brought with it the beginning of a second chance?

“So how is it do you think we came to be on this date together?” She took another bite of her hot dog. “Our friends who set this up have to know each other somehow.”

“I’ve been trying to figure that out too. They must know our history. We dated, you went away and I stayed here.” He regretted the words the moment they left his lips. He hadn’t meant for the statement to sound flat and direct. The same pang of pain he felt stab his stomach he saw on her face. 

The air was never cleared between them once she left for college. She thought he didn’t love her the way she loved him. Never wanting to return his phone calls, assuming he felt guilty. She didn’t want pity. And she never moved back home, until a month ago.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “I didn’t mean for it to sound-“ She cut him off. 

“It’s fine. It’s in the past. Let’s just enjoy what time we have left tonight.” She averted eye contact. 

Unsure if she was avoiding the past, or if she simply wasn’t bothered by it anymore, he decided to leave it. 

“I have another idea, if you’re up for it.” He gave a small, hopeful smile. 

How could she say no to those soulful brown eyes? They always managed to pull her in. She was lost in them. “What do you have in mind this time?” 

“Another place we used to go as teenagers.”

Extending his hand, he helped her into his truck. The brief touch of their hands sent shock waves coursing through their bodies. She tried to remain as unperturbed as she could possibly muster. 

“Do you ever miss your old truck?” She asked as they drove down the road.

“Yeah, that was a good ole’ pickup.” He smiled at the memories. Drive-in movies, stargazing, bonfires and music. “We had a lot of good times with that truck. A certain first I distinctly remember.” He looked over at her briefly with a boyish grin. Luckily her blushing was hidden in the darkness of the evening.

They rode the rest of the way in silence. Memories. Dates. Kisses. Embraces. Whispers. All swirling in both of their minds. Remembering made Nolan want more. Remembering made her want to forget. 

“The roller rink? You’re taking us to the roller rink?” The inquiry and playfulness was evident in her tone. 

With his left hand still atop the steering wheel, he faced her. “Why not take the opportunity to travel down memory lane? Ya know, for old times sake?” Secretly, he was hoping this would draw her closer to him. He suspected she was pulling away. But why? “I hope you won’t mind skating in a dress.” He chuckled as he stepped out of the truck. 

They hit the rink with the old roller blades on their feet. Instinctively, he reached for her hand, clasping it firmly in his. She tried not to stiffen, but she couldn’t ignore how comfortable and familiar his hand was. She concentrated on skating, but his focus was solely on her. 

Around and around they went, as if they were seventeen again, with nothing ahead of them but a future with each other. He stopped for them to rest along one of the back walls. 

Loreal looked around, then back up at Nolan. “This is where we had our first kiss.” Her eyes looked as though the memory pained her. 

He wanted nothing more in that moment than to reenact their very first kiss. To take back the biggest mistake of his life when he didn’t follow her to college. But what would a farm boy have done in a city like Duquesne? Back then he thought she could do much better than him. And now, both of them were in their thirties, and spouseless. Wasn’t she, too, wondering if they were meant to be? Still meant to be?

Shaking herself from the emotion welling up inside of her, she changed the subject. “So what’s next on our little tour?” The sooner this evening ended, the sooner she could get back to trying to vanquish the hurt. And suppress what she still longed to have. Every moment she spent with him made it harder for her to deny that she still wanted those very same things with him. 

He smiled in such a way that made her warm through to her very core. “Ice cream.”

Humor lit her eyes. “Angie’s Corner?”

He let out a laugh. “There’s no better place. Do you remember its nickname back in the day?”

“Utter Relactation. How could anyone forget that?”

Coconut cream pie was always Loreal’s favorite. Dark chocolate chunk was his. Shrugging off his blazer, he placed it over her shoulders. To his surprise, she snugged up closer to him while they sat on the bench. Oh how she missed his warmth and his masculinity. There was never a time when she hadn’t felt safe and protected by him. 

The evening was coming to a close. She wanted to remain in those moments forever. To press pause and linger in the security of his presence. But Nolan, he was delighting himself in the wonders of what tomorrow could bring. Alongside the excitement that was bustling inside him, there was niggling hesitation. Nearing the end of their blind date, he wasn’t confident with where he stood with her. Had he convinced her of anything? She might not have confidence in where a future with him would go. How could she rely on him as a man when he left her high and dry? Even though he thought he was doing it for her own good, she still didn’t know that. Nolan cared deeply for her. Loved her. This night made him realize how much of those feelings never went away and only intensified the instant he saw her. 

Fate stood at their door, offering each of them a second chance at the love they once shared. Nolan was eager to accept. Loreal didn’t want to be abandoned again. How could she accept fate's temptation when there was no guarantee?

He reached over and tucked a tendril of brunette hair behind her ear. She could’ve sworn there was a physical spark that shot out when his finger brushed her cheek. He didn’t remove his hand, but instead slid it into the curve of her neck, gently pulling her in. Just before their lips met, she turned her face. Disappointment and the loss of all possibility lingered in the air between them. He placed a soft kiss on her cheek. That was his answer. She would never be his again.

“I’ll take you home now if you’d like.”

She heard the difference in his voice. Dejection.

On the steps leading up to her apartment, was where they were destined to end. Loreal thanked him for the evening and for the reminiscing. They held a long embrace. Neither wanting to let go. He placed a kiss on her forehead, left her at the door, and headed for his truck. When he heard her key slide into the lock, it was as if a bolt of lightning struck him. His fight for her wasn’t over.

“I never wanted to let you go.”

Her heart stopped. Her breathing stopped. Everything stopped. She paused before she turned to him. “Then why did you?”

Taking a few steps towards her, “I wasn’t good enough for you. At least, that’s what I told myself. A pretty girl like you, going off to a big city college, I didn’t stand a chance. I didn’t want to hold you back from finding someone better suited for you.” He shrugged, knowing his reason was just an excuse in her ears.

“Don’t you think that was my decision? You broke my heart. But yet I still tried, I tried to love someone else.” She choked back tears as he went back up the steps. “My heart only wanted to love yours. And all the while it only made me love you more.”

“Tonight made me realize I never stopped loving you.”

Tears streaked her cheeks. “I never stopped loving you either.”

Nolan pulled her into his arms as their lips met with fervor. Never again would he let her go. From this day forward, he would nevermore forsake his second chance.

August 29, 2020 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.