2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Kids Christian

Once upon a time, there was a tiny boy named Tim who was diligent in his prayers. He prayed every night before sleep and often asked favours from God; more than often would be true. He had a very good reason: he described himself and felt as helpless little boy in a huge, cruel world and thought the only one who could help him was the almighty God himself. He asked God all sorts of questions and favours, knowing that God understands him and feels sympathy for his misfortunes. God hadn't answered his prayers yet, but he wasn't mad at God. Tim understood that God is too busy and that he cannot help him all the times he needed him. He kept praying regularly, knowing that God will give him blessings and answer his prayers.


It was a cold, stormy Tuesday night. His parents and brothers were sleeping. Tim was worried; he was lying in his bed in his favourite space-themed pyjamas, holding his old teddy bear while whispering his prayer: "Dear God, I beg you. I know that you're good guy who can help me. I have two tests on Thursday. I desperately need an A+ in math and a C in science. An A+ is a must, because my mum won't give me extra cash for candies. A C in science would be fine, I am a modest boy after all. Besides, if I get a B or an A on science test, mum and teacher will become suspicious. Science isn't my cup of tea. Oh, I am sorry, you know that already, you are almighty. Please God, help me and I'll owe you forever. Thanks a lot." He turned in his bed and then added, whispering: "The tests are on Thursday. You have plenty of time to prepare and read the required lessons. I will not forget you and I will continue with prayers. Thanks."


He didn't hear, nor did he see his older brother standing beside the door, listening to his prayer. He walked on his toes down the hallway and went to the room of their oldest brother. He woke him up and told him everything about Tim. They were murmoring, quarreling and plotting conspiracies against Tim until midnight when they finally agreed.

Tomorrow morning, Tim noticed a small hand-written message on his desk with beautiful corner decorations.


"Dear Tim,

I've been listening to your prayers for a while and I've made my decision. I will help you only if you help me. I want your pocket money. I will give it to the poor, hungry and homeless men and women.

And that's not all. The next weekend I will be cleaning the streets in your neighbourhood as a form of anti-establishment protest. After that, I'll join my group of loyal followers. We will be protesting against new climate change policies. Feel free to join me.

Yours sincerely,

The God."


Tim was shocked and thrilled at the same time. He didn't expect a written response from God. He knew deep down in his soul that God would talk to him one day, but his answer was deeply disturbing. And he knew he couldn't return him favour in this manner, so he thought for a while, and then wrote a polite reply:


"Dear God,

I am sorry, but I really need my pocket money. Mum would be very angry if I give it to you. You are a stranger and I am not allowed to give money to strangers.

Besides, you are almighty. You can do everything with a single clap of your hands, and I am too tiny to make a significant change in this world, and too weak and sensitive to carry around a broom. My answer has to be no. I can't help you.

But I still believe in you. I know you are a good guy. So, please, do me a favour and help me with these tests, and I will be nice and open the book the night before exam.

Faithfully yours,

Tim, the Believer."


He didn't tell anyone about this event and he prayed and dreamed of God's next response. He got it tomorrow morning, even more beautifully decorated than the last one.


"My dear Tim,

You are absolutely right. Open your science book the night before test on the following pages: 27, 30, and then, open quickly the 150th page. Take a quick glance and don't study at all. The success is guaranteed!

The God.

P.S. I like you a lot!"


He was thrilled. He knew that God likes him and wouldn't turn his back on his believer and his problems. He opened the book the way the God instructed him and thanked him in his prayers, and promiced he will leave him some of his pocket money on Thursday, he can afford it on Thursdays. He left the money on promised place after the tests, and was surprised when new message came:

"My dear Tim,

You did a great job.

If you want a C in English, you will have to pay me more. Think about my proposition.

Ciao."

There were a lot of things to negotiate and reconsider, thought Tim, and he knew he had to calculate costs and diligently evaluate all possible outcomes before presenting his proposal.


Next week, he returned home. He was quiet. His brothers were eating candies on the sofa in the living room and watching TV. "What's the matter?", asked the oldest. "I've got F- in maths", said the Tim, crying. He dropped his rucksack on the floor. They laughed and started running from him into the oldest brother's room. "How could you?", he ran after them. He knocked on his door, crying. "You're evil!" 

"We haven't eaten all candies", they said behind closed door which he couldn't open. "You have one bag left on the dining table. P.S. We love you", they shouted behind a closed door. He couldn't open it. He heard their laughter.

"Thank you, God. Thanks an awful lot.", he said and went to his room. He didn't pray that night or the following one.

February 10, 2022 02:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
23:50 Feb 17, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Lea Isamolea
00:25 Feb 18, 2022

Thank you. I'll do my best

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.