7 comments

Fiction Horror Mystery

My breath stocked is my lungs, I could hear a whining noise inside my body but it couldn't come out of my mouth, I felt my pupil became larger than normal , I wanted to move but my legs were heavier than ever , for a minute I thought I am paralyzed, tried to find something anything could connect me to out of this situation but everything was nonsense to what I was in, I searched around my body in a circle by my hand to find something but

what could I do with those around me , throw them to unknown subject, find something sharp perhaps kill that monster , spray or make noise to scare him , her or it , away ? How if they make a resonance to that unknown power ?

All those thought came in my head less than a minute, it wasn't any time to think or plan , the only thing I could do was pull my legs and hands to my stomach and make them like a baby in mom's body , thought this way whatever that is can't see me or was praying whatever it is miss or walk around me .

However all those thoughts came and passed in a few minutes but this waiting for knowing what is that took a century, it was like I am in this situation for years and suddenly someone turned the light on and I noticed it .

I tried to use everything I had , my nose ,ears , eyes, even be ready use my legs and hands if I needed to defend myself but it was just like stocking in a computer loop , every if clause got back to the beginning.

I was tired , no I was exhausted and fear was eating my strength and brian and they were replacing with disappointment , after a while I even felt I am the most stupid person in the world, not knowing how to figure out what is that .

Then I forced myself to use my brain, finding a way , it was frozen, was thinking about years of my life I could use my time to live and I wasted , was thinking about those who I loved , all mistakes I had made and all wrong decition , my brain was dying on me and my heart was jumping out of my chest looking for one person to save me , take my hand and pull me out of this never ending fear, I felt my ears are bigger than a dog , every noise was echoing in my head for long time, I even was scared of hearing my breathing noise , tried to stop it for a few minutes, thought if I breath that unknown object is duplicating and it won't be any scape way out of this surrounding. 

Making everything silence led to hear whatever in normal time you never are paying attention to, I could hear kids playing from outside kilometers far from my place , or passangers talking on the bus or even an unfamiliar conversation, those noises were bothering me thinking they cause me lose whatever is happening around me , my legs hurt for keeping them in same position for long time but I was not able to get over my scary thoughts to let them move , for a strange reason I was thighting my muscles or it was a normal reflection against fear.

It takes long long time , it was a moment of live or death , I could stay there for another century or take a risk and end it , finally I decided to get out of this loop no matter how much risk it might couse me , I was in the end of the rope, no hope , no help and definitely no thoughts they all were gone or were hidden under the fear , I stepped out, thinking the worst is going to happen is death , let my legs and hands stretch, moved my neck to adjust my head , for some reason my noise smelling a new scent that I have never know before, it was like someone was inside me for years and is coming out to fight with this unknown situation, after I tried to be brave and take consequences tuned my gaze around, wishing I can see something that immidatly to end this unpleasant time or someone attacks me and I fight back , even prayed those noise from outside brought a dangerous warning to let me know everything is happening outside not close to me but they all steamed in a moment. 

I slowly walked around and grabbed first thing I thought might help me , my cellphone, it wasn't any time to call or text , it was too late for that , it was the last minute of my life and I couldn't let it wasted by calling for help , I had to get over it by my own, started to check every angle of my place, step by step , I was scared to turn my head back to lose what is happening in front of me , I was so involved with this situation forgot to breath and when I felt I am passing out knew I should let my breath exhale, I know some part or all my body hurt but I couldn't find which part , I guess my brain was too busy to discover what is happening to pay attention to the pain .

and suddenly it happened I saw it , it was right behind me , I discovered when I saw a reflection of that in mirror , a shadow, dark and same as my size or taller, for some reason looked hungry like is after eating my soul, I decided to face it once and for all ,I couldn't take it more , it should end now , I felt sad for myself knowing my life is over , but it was no way around , I had to know what is that , I turned my head to face with unknown subject before my death , collected all my power , ready for my last breath and in a unbelievable moment I noticed it is my shadow. 

October 25, 2022 20:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Cindy Calder
13:26 Nov 03, 2022

A very interesting read and new concept of writing.

Reply

Sam Smith
20:00 Nov 03, 2022

Thank you , it means a lot to know expert opinions

Reply

Cindy Calder
11:17 Nov 04, 2022

Sorry, I am very far from the expert opinion you’ve mentioned. However, I did enjoy your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
00:41 Oct 31, 2022

I like the way you wrote the speaker's thoughts. Great twist!

Reply

Sam Smith
18:24 Oct 31, 2022

Thank you for your positive comment

Reply

Charlie Murphy
18:58 Oct 31, 2022

You're welcome! Can you read A Squirrelly Halloween?

Reply

Sam Smith
20:36 Nov 03, 2022

Certainly !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.