Phone Drama

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Mystery

Eloise sits on a park bench  in a city far from home. She is so deep in thought that she doesn’t notice a man approaching her, until a shadow falls over her.

“There you are, I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” Eloise looks up to see an older man, with a greying beard, peering down at her. Once he would have been a very attractive guy but age has done some damage. Uninvited, he plonks himself down next to Eloise so the edges of their legs meet. Reflexively she shifts her petite frame to the left. The man leans closer, his brown eyes latching on to hers.

“So, are you ready to go home now?” Home? Eloise blinks in confusion. 

“Look, I’m so sorry honey. I want to make this up to you however I can.”  He is speaking loudly now, and a woman sitting on a nearby bench looks up from her book and over towards them. He reaches for Eloise’s hand but she sharply pulls it away. 

“What are you talking about, who are you?” He acts wounded.

“Eloise, I will do whatever it takes?”

“How do you know my name?  There’s no way I’m going home with you.” Eloise stands up and marches away, not looking back. She hears footsteps behind but doesn’t bother looking. She breaks into a run. Getting into her stride she feels at ease and relaxes. This is just her second day in this city so everything is new and exciting. She flew in early yesterday morning, with just enough time to grab a coffee before the Selection Trial. The Selection Trial had gone so well, she is certain she had aced it. All she needs is a phone call to confirm it. 

Turning down a side street, she sees a freshly painted store with two beautifully patterned rugs in the window. Slowing her pace she decides to go in. Blinking she adjusts her eyes to the dim light. There are rugs on the wall, and rugs hanging up in long rows. She moves towards the back of the store and starts flicking through the hangers of rugs. These are not cheap rugs, they are so soft to the touch and covered in such intricate and elegant designs.

“Can I help you with anything,” a shop assistant asks.

“Just admiring your beautiful rugs.” Eloise says.  The lady nods at her and moves away. Eloise knows that one day she will come back with enough money to buy the biggest, most luxurious rug in the shop. One day soon. She should get the phone call today, the phone call that will change her life. She reaches down for her phone but comes up empty handed.

Eloise’s hands go clammy and she feels shivery. Panicked she checks every pocket, walks back through every row of rugs, but still can’t find it. When did she last have it? It was at the park when she called her mum.

That man at the park! Her eyes narrow, it was him. She replays her memory trying to work out the moment it must have happened. It could have been when he sat too close, she must have looked away when she moved. Or, it could have been when he reached for her hand. The classic magician trick, draw attention to one hand whilst the other performs the trick, or steals a phone. Panic changes to anger. Eloise is usually calm and easy going, but one thing that stirs her up is people messing with her possessions. That man not only took her phone but he took it when the most important phone call of her life was about to come through. He probably took one look at her, sitting on that park bench, and thought she was small and easy. Boy, is he mistaken.

Calculating that about half an hour has passed, Eloise makes her way back to the park. She can’t believe her luck, the woman who had been reading on the other bench earlier is still there, still reading.

“Hey, that must be a good book.” Eloise sits down next to the woman. “You were reading that when I was here earlier. The woman looks up, nods, then goes back to her book.

“That guy, before, was my husband. I was just really annoyed with him and wanted him to leave me alone. You know how it is.” The woman looks straight at her.

“Yep, I know that feeling.” Eloise ignores the hint and continues, flashing the woman her widest grin.

“Did you see which way he went? He’s not answering his phone and I really want to apologise to him. You see we had an argument earlier this morning and …”

“He went that way,” the woman points past the playground towards the little cafe at the edge of the park, then turns back to her book.

“Thanks,” says Eloise jumping up.

Eloise opens the cafe door and looks around but he’s not there. The lone customer is a mother, who is lifting her baby out of a highchair and into a pushchair.  Eloise pauses at the table. 

“Excuse me, I’m looking for my husband. Was there a guy in here by himself before?”

The woman fastens her child in and then turns round.

“Nah, I don’t think there’s been any guys in here.  Eloise thanks her and leaves. Once outside she pulls a phone out of her pocket. That was too easy, who just leaves their cell phone lying unattended on a table. It was crying out to be taken. Maybe she'll return it later, maybe but probably not. She laughs to herself.

The phone has a passcode, but Eloise knows how to get past that. When she first got her phone she had been unsure as to whether it was a good idea to check the box for ‘send my location’ but she was glad she had. She goes into settings, types in her phone number and waits ..

the last known location of her phone is about 500 meters away. 

Eloise stops outside a large rambleshack warehouse, double checks the phone and decides this had to be it. There is a door at the front of the building, but that is too visible. Eloise moves around the back of the building. Going by the amount of rubbish on the ground, the warehouse hadn’t been in business for years. Keeping close to the building in case anyone is peering out of the second storey windows Eloise finds a door on the south side. She tries the handle, locked. Pulling out a hair clip from her hair, Eloise fumbles around for a minute and then voila, click. The door unlocks. She peers through the door and lets herself in. The warehouse was nearly empty save for a few pallets lying here and there. Light is shining through the window, of a room, in the furthest corner. Eloise moves stealthily across the cement floor towards the room. Crouching down under the window she can hear two voices. Is this her man? She stands up slowly and looks through the window. She ducks back down quickly, it is him. He is talking to a woman, whose back is to Eloise.  Moving cautiously, Eloise stands up again and looks into the room, wondering if her phone is there. But she can't see it anywhere. That guy must have it in a pocket, on his person, somewhere.

Suddenly the man scrapes his chair back and Eloise ducks down again. It had looked like he was about to stand up. She moves towards the door just in case. Sure enough the door opens and the bearded man walks out. Following silently behind Eloise waits until he is halfway across the warehouse, far enough that it would take the woman a while to get to him and then …

she pounces. Jumping on to his back she topples him to the ground, swivels around until she is on top of him pinning him to the ground. His eyes are wide with surprise.

“Give me back my phone,” she says with her fist raised, so he’ll know she means business.

The man struggles to get away but Eloise holds firm. She may be little but she has untold strength. This old guy is no match.

“Give me my phone.” The man reaches into his pocket.

“Careful,” Eloise warns. “Don’t try anything silly.” 

“Stop right there,” a voice booms through the warehouse. Eloise looks down at the man, he is looking over her shoulder and smiling. It has to be the woman. Eloise swore silently, she should have brought the guy down in a position so she could see the door to the room.

Not releasing her grip, Eloise turns. For a second she is was stunned. Not stunned that there is a woman holding a gun, she had expected that. Stunned, that she recognises the woman. She stands up, brain whirring. Why is the woman, Eliane, who had run the Selection Trial yesterday, standing in front of her holding a gun? Why are Elaine and the man both standing there beaming at her? The man pulls Eloise’s phone out of his pocket and hands it over. It is at that moment the light dawns on her. 

“You guys set me up?!” It is half a question, half a statement.

“We sure did,” replies Eliane. “And you passed with flying colours. You are our fastest candidate to date. One hour, three minutes and 56 seconds from phone uplift to phone recovery. You are one talented cookie.”

Eloise fist pumped the air and whooped.

“You’re sure strong as well.” The man gently rubs his shoulder. 

“Michael, by the way,” he says, stretching his hand out towards her. Eloise shakes it.

“Hi, Michael. I hope I didn’t hurt you too much.”

“All part of the job, speaking of which, if you want the Recruit position, it’s yours.

“Yes, of course I do.”

Eloise followed Elaine and Michael into the office to complete the paperwork. She is now officially - or maybe it’s unofficially - the newest recruit for the Global Intelligence Bureau of Investigation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

May 07, 2021 10:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.