The Other Side

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Set your story at a park during a spring festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

My head bursts out of the cold blue ocean water, the chilly spring air cooling my head, my long golden hair hanging in wet locks around my face. Everyone is getting ready for the spring festival. It's my favorite time of the year. Or, it was. Every year, our small town of Garden Hills on the coast of California has an annual spring festival. Lights, dancing, and bonfires take place in the central park and the beach, waves crashing against the shore, wanting to join the party. All the locals go.

"April!" Aunt Cathy waves from the beach, her dark hair blowing in the slight breeze. My skin tingles from the cold water, like little needles poking into my skin. I look towards her, grabbing my surfboard before heading her way. The sun warms my skin as I step out of the water. Pink, red, and yellow flowers line the green hills along the beach - that's how we got the name Garden Hills.

I slip on my summer dress over my light blue bikini, locking my surfboard in the little red shed by the pathway leading away from the sea. Aunt Cathy leads me out of the beach, and I watch as I leave footsteps trailing in the sand, later to be washed away by the water.

The streets are crowded with townies, putting up flowered lanterns, colorful tulips hidden among the shop windows. In the center of the town's square is a big fountain, lights strung across the top creating an illuminating glow on the ground below them. I've lived in this small town my whole life. I've grown up going to the little ice cream shop on the corner of Belcourt and Spruce, playing in the streets barefoot with my friends, looking out of our living room windows to watch the sunrise, going to daddy's diner each afternoon after school. I can't imagine living anywhere else. Then it happened. Living in a small town, new gets around fast. Now, whenever I go into stores, I can hear the whispers. That's April Dalton, Elizabeth and James's daughter. Poor thing, she's only twelve. I heard she's living with her aunt now. The town is not the same without the Dalton's. Did you hear that her parent's died on a cruise? I try to block them out, but sometimes it's hard. Now, people only look at me with sympathy. Even Aunt Cathy. I'm the girl whose parents died. The only time when I feel relaxed is when I'm with my best friend, Sam. He's the only one that has me go on with life, instead of being stuck in the period of loss. He doesn't whisper or look at me with sadness in his eyes. He's been at my side the entire time, from coming to my house once we found out about the news to give me a hug, to handing me tissues at the funeral, to watching movies with me all day, to slowly edging me out of the house. He's the only reason I'm going to the festival tonight. But, I'm still not sure if I want to go. It's my first year without them. And, I know Aunt Cathy is doing her best. She took over daddy's diner and moved into our little beachside house with me, but it's just still not the same.

We walk up to our small beach house, Aunt Cathy opening the teal front door. I go straight to my room, closing the door behind me. The festival starts at four-thirty, giving me about an hour and a half until then. I slip off my dress, looking in the mirror. My tan skin is radiating from the sun, blue eyes shining. Garden Hills never really gets winter, it's nice year-round. But spring here is really important. It's a sign of growth, a sign that summer is coming. I pull my eyes away from the mirror, flopping down on my bed. I never thought it would end up like this. In all those books and movies, people die, but then they recover, learning from what happened, and then their lives go on. Maybe that can be me. Maybe I can still go on in my life. That's what my parents would want me to do. It's like I can hear their voices in my head, guiding me through life. I've never really known what happens to people when they die, but maybe mommy and daddy came back as voices in my head, as spirits circling around me, as the leaves on the trees by the beach watching over me, as the stars shining bright in the sky looking over me, as the steady rythem of my heartbeat pounding inside me. I lay back on my bed, closing my eyes. Maybe death isn't so bad after all.

I awake with a start, someones cold fingers on my arms, shaking me.

"April! Wake up!" a voice says. I sit up, rubbing my eyes. I'm on my bed, still in my swimsuit. A tall figure is standing next to my bed, and I look up to meet Sam's eyes. I look at him, realizing how cute he actually is. He has messy dark brown hair, tan skin, and brown eyes. He has a tall, slim frame, but not to the point where he's super lanky. I've never really looked at him before, he's always just been there.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" he asks, a grin on his face. I blush, turning my face into the pillow so he doesn't see me.

"What's going on?" I ask, avoiding his question, sleep still in my voice.

"You feel asleep, but it's time for the festival!" I flop onto my back, groaning, the waistline of my swimsuit digging into my skin. I can hear the faint music through the windows. It's still light outside, but its not too long until the moon takes over the sky creating a soft glow on the town. This festival goes on from four-thirty today all the way until that same time tomorrow. Twenty-four hours of constant partying.

I lift myself off the bed, walking towards my closet. Sam is wearing dark blue shorts and a white and light blue striped polo shirt. I decide on a yellow romper, it adding to my golden complextion.

"Let me just go change," I say to Sam. His big brown eyes watch me as I walk over to the bathroom, closing the door behind me.

Music blares into my ears as soon as Sam and I step outside, and I flinch back not quite ready for all the chaos and commotion.

"Come on," he says soflty, grabbing my wrist and pulling me towards the busy streets of Garden Hills.

As we walk down the street, I look around. All the shops are closed, and in place giant flowers and small tables hosting different activities. Lights line the sky above the streets, and I can see the green and busyness of the park in front of us.

The central park is filled with partyers. A DJ is set up in a big booth on one side, giant speakers on either side of him, headphones over both of his ears. Games are all around, ranging from cornhole, to sack racing, to apple bobbing. In the center of the park are picnick tables to eat food, and fun food stands all around.

I suck in a breath, looking around me. The whole town comes to this festival, leaving the park and beach packed with people.

"You okay?" Sam asks, taking my hand and squeezing it. I squeeze it back, taking a deep breath and walking into the crowd.

The sun has already set, The lights blinding around me. The bass of the music is rhythmically thumping in my ears, giving a slight headache. The grass is soft under my feet, making it so I'm able to be barefoot. The beach is just below the park, and you can see the faint glow of the bonfire, people drinking and talking by the water. I jump to the music, whipping my hair around, Sam by my side. I sing the catchy songs, not only in my head, but out loud too. I feel the other side of me coming out. The side where I'm happy and don't care what other people think. This festival is just a time for fun, a time to truly be who you are. And, I think this is the most fun I've had in five months, dancing under the stars with my best friend, in this small town that I call home.

March 21, 2021 15:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.