0 comments

Coming of Age Friendship High School

I watched as the house glowed with the light of fire. It was unnatural yet beautiful. One second it was there the next gone. A pile of ash. The dream was always the same.

I woke up drenched in sweat. The dream lingering on my mind for a few seconds more.

"You have the dream again?" I looked over and saw Garret standing next to me in the line for breakfast. He always seemed to know when I had the dream. "Yeah," I said quietly, pointing to the toast as the lunch lady asked what I wanted to eat. I grabbed a box of cereal and a carton of milk and sat down at our usual table. Garret sat down next to me with a tray of scrambled eggs and a slice of ham."Hey guys." Harriet said as she sat down. We talked for a little bit before the bell and we headed our separate ways. 

At the end of the day, I walked home. I hoped Garret wouldn't walk home with me but he did. 

"Hey, how are you doing? We didn't really get to talk all day." Garret said. I veered away from him stepping into someone's grass. He took that as a sign and stayed quiet till we reached my house, his is farther down than mine but still close. He stood on the driveway and watched as I walked onto my porch and went inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I watched as George slammed the door shut and went inside. What he didn't know is that I had the dream too.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I looked out the peephole and watched Garret walk away. I walked into my room and threw my bag down. 

Garret's a nice guy. He's caring, smart, funny. He's everything you'd want in a guy. He has thin cheekbones, a nice body frame, a short dark curly afro, and chocolate skin. The only bad thing that has ever happened to him is when his littlest sister died. Everyone loved him but they judged him for being friends with the quiet kid.

In reality, I was the one the pitied him.

I'm kidding.

The next morning I didn't see Garret. He wasn't in any of his classes and no one had seen him. I walked by his house but there were no cars there. I didn't want to text him though.

When I went to sleep I dreamed of Garret. I was behind him as he watched the house. He turned around and we made eye contact. He seemed calm, almost relaxed even.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The day after George slammed the door both of my parents had to go out town (in different directions). Me and my sister told them we were both sick to stay at home. When they left my older sister took the last car to go hang out with friends. I skipped school, I usually don't, and watched tv for most o the day. When I got bored with that I played video games.

At dinner my parents noted how we looked better.

That night I fell asleep. I saw the light dance away from the shadow. I felt someone watching me, but the light was so calming I didn't want to look away. Finnaly the feeling got to strong and I turned around. I saw Geogre standing there, shock painting his face.

I'm going to need to lie and say I'm sick again tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The next day Garret wasn't at school. That really pissed me off. I had a lot of questions that needed to be answered. Number one: is that he always knows when I've had the dream? Number 2: how on has he had the dream? Number 3: is he mad at me for finding out? Number 4: what did I do to make him mad? Along with a lot of others.

After school I walked to his house. Two of the cars were there s he had to be home. I had a stack of papers in one arm as Mrs.Williams answered the door.

"Hi George. I'm so glad you stopped by Garret isn't feeling very well. What have ou got there?" Mrs.Williams asked, pointing to the stack of papers in my hand.

"Oh just a stack of missing work for Garret."

She stepped past and let me walk through the doorway. I walked towards Garret's room and heard as Mrs.Williams closed the door.

No going back now.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I heard the doorbell ring and my mom talking to someone.

She closed the door and I heard someone walking to my room.

They knocked. When I didn't respond they opened the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------

He didn't resond when I knocked. I knew he was in there Mrs.Williams hadn't said he wasn't in his room.

I opened the door and saw Garret laying on his bed.

He looked annoyed.

"Hey I have some missing work for you." I set down the papers on his desk.

"Yeah thanks. Yous should probably go, I'm sick. Cough cough" Garret said. He said the word instead of coughing.

"Yeah well I'm staying guess I'm gonna get sick then." I took a seat a the chair by his desk and stared at him.

We sat in since for a few minutes. "Are you mad at me?"

Garret looked shocked by me asking that.

"Really? Really!" Garret yelled. "Eveytime you have the dream I try and talk to you, I try and be nice. But everytime you blow me off like a leaf in the wind. You never, not once, have asked me how I know you had it, you just accept it! And the second you realize its my fault?"

----------------------------------------------------------------

It felt so good to finally get that out of my system.

This time I didn't shy away from the argument like I usually do, I stood my ground.

Geogre looked shocked. I had never yelled at him before, at least not like that.

"Well then how do you know?"

That really pissed me off.

"Why don't you tell me, your the one who came over here. You must want to confirm your theory. Enlighten me."

----------------------------------------------------------------

I told Garret how I saw him in the dream. How he looked calm. I told him how that's why you always ask me, because you had it to.

After that he calmed down. Well a little bit atealst

I had come over there at 3:20 P.M. it was now 7:30 P.M.

We had talked for hours.

And now we had become closer as freinds.

That night I had the dream.

This time it was peaceful, since now I wasn't alone. I had never been alone.

August 28, 2021 01:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.