The Art of Awkwardness

Submitted into Contest #216 in response to: Include dialogue that shows that a character is socially awkward.... view prompt

4 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Vivian fidgeted with her cat-eye frames, a nervous habit since her gawky teen years. She squinted under the harsh glow of gallery track lighting that bathed the cavernous white-walled space. Vivian took in the sea of socialites swirling around monumental oil paintings—abstract figures in fiery oranges, throbbing crimsons, and brilliant cobalt blues. 

“Gorgeous canvases, aren't they?” trilled Serena, breezing up in an emerald shift dress that set off her petite frame. “Patrick has really outdone himself this time.”

Awkwardly, Vivian smoothed the skirt of her simple black sheath, suddenly self-conscious amidst the bold prints and daring hemlines of Singapore's avant-garde elite. She nodded vaguely, pretending to ponder the giant swirling figures looming before them. Their distorted faces seemed frozen in anguished howls, like figures from an Edvard Munch nightmare landscape. 

What was she even doing here, amidst this dazzling art world crowd? Vivian was just a junior gallery assistant who spent her days dutifully cataloguing paintings and welcoming school groups. Hardly a sophisticate like Serena, who glided easily between big openings and chic soirees. 

At 29, Vivian was ready for reinvention, eager to shake her mousy image. But would she ever truly belong in this glittering milieu? For now, she maintained what she hoped looked like a thoughtful, considering expression as they strolled past each edgy canvas, and tried not to knock over any mineral water glasses with her clumsiness.

Soon the viewing hour ended and guests drifted into the sleek minimalist event space to hear remarks from the curator. Waiters in crisp white jackets circulated with trays of champagne coupes and crostini topped with duck confit. Vivian snagged a glass, the bubbles effervescent on her tongue. She hoped alcohol might calm her jittery nerves. 

The curator, an elegant woman with a smooth silver bob, stepped up to the microphone stand at the front of the room. “Welcome to this debut showing of Patrick Collins’ electrifying new series, Elemental Bodies,” she proclaimed, her rich voice resonating through the open space. 

Vivian spotted Patrick holding court nearby, surrounded by leggy art students who looked fresh from his life drawing classes. She had chatted with Patrick at a few openings, politely admiring his abstract oils and moody portraits. But now Patrick was in his element, the star attraction.  

As the curator pontificated about color and form, Vivian glanced anxiously around the room. Serena had drifted off to air-kiss other partygoers. Nearby, clusters of guests stood rapt listening to the remarks, nodding solemnly at each observation about technique and artistic vision. 

Vivian tried to mirror their sage expressions, but she was hopelessly out of her depth here. With art analysis, she could usually string together some halfway intelligent observations by focusing on a couple visual elements. But listening to the curator wax poetic about Patrick’s broody figures and clashing pigments, Vivian hadn’t the faintest idea what it all meant. She drained her champagne glass, grasping it like a life raft.

She couldn't just stand mute and alone all evening. She was here to partake in the scene, to engage. Spotting a circle of spectators sipping prosecco nearby, Vivian drifted closer to eavesdrop, hoping to glean some credible artistic insights. 

“The dichotomy between fragility and strength in his figures is so poignant,” remarked an elderly woman in flowing crimson silk. 

“Yes, absolutely. The vulnerability cuts straight to the soul,” agreed a gentleman nodding thoughtfully.  

Seizing her opening, Vivian chimed in, “The juxtaposition between power and...vulnerability really resonates.” She gestured vaguely at the walls around them. 

The patrons glanced her way impassively before resuming their esoteric analysis. Vivian cringed internally, but pressed on. 

“And the gestural brushwork evokes such...physicality.” She nearly winced at her own pompous rambling and fumbled hand motions. Mercifully, the circle merely hummed in assent before moving off through the gallery.

Face burning, Vivian turned away. Enough inept commentary from her tonight. Time to abandon ship before she embarrassed herself further. Weaving through the crowd, she deposited her empty glass and made for the exit. Home to yoga pants and takeout sounded infinitely more appealing than continuing to flounder out of her artistic depth. 

But just as freedom neared, Vivian felt a gentle touch at her elbow. She turned to see Patrick smiling down at her, his boyishly handsome face flushed from the evening’s success. 

“Vivian! You slipped away before I could say hello,” he exclaimed. “I’m thrilled you could make it tonight.”

“Of course, congratulations on the show,” Vivian managed, hoping her own cheeks weren’t still flaming. “Your latest work is so...” she faltered, terrified of lapsing into more senseless artspeak. “It’s just lovely,” she finished lamely. 

But Patrick's eyes shone as if she had waxed poetic about negative space and chiaroscuro. “That means the world coming from you,” he said earnestly. 

Before Vivian could respond, Patrick’s coterie of muses swept him up once more in their fabulous orbit of air kisses and breathless praise. With a rueful smile, Vivian slipped outside into the damp night air. 

She inhaled deeply, gazing up at the inky sky dotted with silver stars. The evening may have been a fiasco, but tomorrow was a new day. As Vivian strolled down the tree-lined sidewalk, she smiled softly to herself. She didn’t need to pretend to be someone else here. Her presence was enough.  

Over the next weeks, Vivian found herself venturing out more often, accepting invites to gallery events and underground art shows. Each outing was another chance to tackle her insecurities, to stretch her social muscles little by little. 

At a graffiti art exhibition, she mostly hovered near familiar faces like Serena, avoiding in-depth artistic analysis. But she did point out to one companion how the street art brought renewed vibrancy to overlooked urban spaces. Her friend Pearly nodded enthusiastically in response. Baby steps.

Later that week, Vivian attended the preview of a Hong Kong photographer's nature series at a trendy pop-up space. Meandering past luminous mountain vistas and shimmering seascapes, she mostly just murmured appreciatively or nodded in awe. But when Serena commented on the photographer’s keen eye for color and composition, Vivian managed to quickly add “Oh yes, he captures light so beautifully!” 

Serena cocked a perfect eyebrow but smiled. “Couldn’t have said it better myself, darling.” Vivian grinned back, triumphant.    

Soon came the opening of Patrick’s solo exhibition at the ultramodern Saatchi Gallery. Vivian arrived in a flowing navy jumpsuit, feeling more assured amidst the glitterati. Patrick found her admiring a striking portrait of contorted limbs in ivory and ash grey. 

“You look wonderful,” he said, kissing her cheek. “I'm glad to see you branching out from your black sheath uniform!” 

Vivian laughed. “Well, tonight is a special occasion. I’m enjoying your new pieces - kind of haunting and ethereal.” She gestured at the painting of tangled limbs. 

Patrick's eyes crinkled with delight at her description. “That's exactly what I was going for. You have such a discerning eye, Vivian.”

Warmth filled her chest, and Vivian realized something surprising - she was actually starting to comprehend aspects of this rarefied world that had once felt so alien. She could perceive the grace in a brushstroke, the meaning behind a wash of color. This realm was unfolding to her slowly, revealing its secrets. And with each small breakthrough, her confidence grew. 

Later, as she and Patrick discussed his artistic evolution over cocktails, Vivian felt at ease speaking about composition and palette, drawing on details she had observed and absorbed. Patrick listened intently, hazel eyes focused on her own.

“Vivian, I’m so impressed by how you’ve cultivated your knowledge of modern art,” he remarked between sips of Blackwoods gin. “You have a real gift for understanding the spirit behind a work.”  

Vivian flushed, equal parts thrilled and shy from his effusive praise. Maybe she did have the capacity to converse about and connect with art, without merely parroting what others had said, or nodding silently. She had found her own voice.

As the evening wound down, Vivian moved languidly among the glittering guests, chatting comfortably with artists and critics rather than shrinking into the sidelines. She realized with delight that the art scene’s leading figures had become familiar faces, no longer intimidating strangers. 

Outside, Vivian tipped her face up to the velvet sky and inhaled the sultry night air. The evening had been an unqualified success. She smiled softly to herself as she strolled down the lamp-lit street, already anticipating the next vernissage. Who would she meet? What would she discover? The possibilities stretched out as endless and thrilling as the London night horizon before her.

September 15, 2023 23:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Karen Corr
11:47 Sep 26, 2023

Beautifully told—much like a painting itself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Poppy Jackson
15:59 Sep 23, 2023

I loved this! Vivian’s character development was great & her self consciousness at the start was put across so well :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angela Guthrie
15:51 Sep 23, 2023

I really enjoyed this story. It reminded me of situations where I felt incredibly awkward and intimidated by a world in which I I wasn’t familiar. You are a very strong writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bob Long Jr
14:37 Sep 23, 2023

Wonderful story. You captured very nicely and in small bits Vivian's evolution ! I'm hoping to be invited to an art showing soon ... now that I know the lingo !

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.