18 comments

Mystery Fiction

In the world of Euthenica, the concept of death is not just taboo. Death does not exist.

Centuries of scientific advancement have eradicated disease, aging, and crime. Under the omnipotent oversight of the Coalition of Continuance, a governing body that emerged from the most brilliant minds of the past, the utopian society has engineered a perfect existence. Genetic modification ensures that every individual is born without the capacity for malice, greed, or violence. People live for hundreds of years, their bodies perpetually rejuvenated by nanotechnology and biomedicine.

The city of Euthenica shines under the eternal sun, its majestic spires of crystal and steel reflecting the tranquil azure of the sky. Gardens burst with vibrant flowers, their fragrances dancing in the air, a perpetual spring. The streets, pristine and automated, graced by serene faces, each a portrait of health and contentment, their steps unhurried, their lives untouched by worry or pain.

Yet, a singular, unmentionable desire festers within this seemingly flawless world: the wish to die.

**

Miles Rydell, a historian by profession, has lived for 372 years. Despite his age, he appears to be in his early thirties due to the perpetual rejuvenation technology. His dark hair, streaked with the faintest hints of silver, is neatly trimmed. However, his blue eyes betray the centuries he has witnessed—eyes that have seen too much, filled with a weariness that no rejuvenation can erase.

He has seen the rise of Euthenica from a fledgling society grappling with the consequences of its newfound longevity to its current state of stagnant perfection. Miles has seen generations of leaders, thinkers, and visionaries, all praising the eternal life granted by science. Yet, he feels a void that cannot be filled. For Miles, immortality has become a curse, a monotonous stretch of endless days devoid of meaning or purpose.

In the solitude of his apartment, surrounded by relics of bygone eras, Miles often contemplates the vastness of his life. The antique clock on his wall ticks steadily, a sound that once comforted him but now feels like the relentless march of an unending sentence. The books lining his shelves, volumes he has read and re-read, offer no new insights or solace. Each morning, the same sunrise paints the sky with identical hues, a reminder that his days are an endless loop of repetition.

Miles sits on his balcony one evening, gazing at the perfect cityscape. The cool breeze carries the fragrance of night-blooming flowers, a gentle touch on his skin. Lydia, a fellow Mortalis, joins him, her presence a rare comfort in the tranquil night.

"Miles, why do you dwell on such dark thoughts in a world that offers so much?" Lydia asks, her voice gentle yet probing.

Miles sighs deeply, his eyes fixed on the horizon. "Lydia, I've lived long enough to see the same patterns repeat. Every joy and every achievement loses its meaning when stretched over centuries. I've seen friends and loved ones forget who they are after reprogramming. I've seen the same festivals and celebrations year after year. Immortality has stripped life of its essence. Without the end, we lose the urgency to truly live."

Lydia listens intently, her green eyes reflecting a deep empathy. "But isn't this life preferable to the chaos of the past? Think of the violence, the wars, the suffering. We've transcended that."

Miles nods, a bitter smile on his lips. "Yes, we have. But in doing so, we have lost something vital. Our ancestors fought and died for a better future. Their struggles and their mortality gave life meaning. Knowing that our time is finite drives us to maximize it. In Euthenica, we are like ghosts, drifting through an endless twilight."

Their conversation drifts to the ancient texts Miles has uncovered, detailing humanity's violent history—wars, genocides, and self-destruction. He recounts the horrors: cities razed to the ground, civilizations collapsing under the weight of their own hubris, and individuals driven to end their lives in the face of insurmountable pain and despair.

"Our history is marred with blood," Miles says quietly. "But it is also filled with stories of redemption, of growth born from suffering. By erasing death, we've eradicated pain and the profound joy of overcoming it."

As the night deepens, they fall silent, lost in their thoughts. Miles recalls a time when he found solace in the simple act of watching the stars. Now, the stars seem dimmed by the artificial light of Euthenica, mystery and beauty dulled by the knowledge that he will see them every night, forever.

In its pursuit of an eternal utopia, the Coalition has silenced all discourse on death. Even the mere thought of it is considered subversive, a dangerous vestige of a primitive past. Any hint of the desire to end one's life is met with severe consequences, including reprogramming—a euphemism for a process that erases and rebuilds a person's memories and desires to align with the Coalition's ideals.

But there are whispers in the shadows, hushed conversations held in coded language among those who share Miles' sentiment. These dissenters, who call themselves the Mortalis, have devised subtle ways to express their forbidden longing. They use metaphors, poetry, and ancient texts, veiling their true intentions behind layers of allegory. One such text is the myth of Sisyphus, a tale of eternal punishment and futility, which has become a clandestine symbol among the Mortalis. Discussing the myth openly would invite suspicion, but in private gatherings, its interpretation serves as a profound, if silent, protest against eternal life.

**

In a dimly lit room hidden beneath the city, Miles meets with Lydia. Lydia appears in her late twenties, her auburn hair cascading loosely around her shoulders. Her green eyes are sharp and intelligent, but a softness to her expression hints at a deep empathy. They speak in hushed tones, their words veiled in metaphor.

"Lydia, I found something in the archives," Miles whispers nervously. "An old text, predating the Continuance. It speaks of a way out."

"A way out?" Lydia's eyes widen. "Do you mean...?"

"Yes," Miles nods. "A failsafe. A final, irreversible shutdown mechanism. It could grant us the end we seek if it still exists."

**

High above the city, Director Selene Voss reviews reports of subversive activity in the Coalition's pristine offices. Selene is striking, with an ageless beauty typical of Euthenica's elite. Her long, silver hair pulled back in an elegant chignon, accentuating her sharp features and piercing gray eyes that seemed to see through everything. Her expression is stern, unwavering.

"These whispers of death are a threat to our utopia," she declares to her advisors. "We have given humanity the gift of eternal life, freed them from the chains of mortality. We cannot allow a few dissenters to undermine centuries of progress."

"But Director, the Mortalis are growing bolder," one advisor cautions. "They speak in riddles, but their intent is clear. They seek to dismantle the very foundation of our society."

"Then we must be vigilant," Selene responds coldly. "We will intensify surveillance, root out these dissidents, and reprogram them if necessary. The sanctity of eternal life must be preserved at all costs."

**

Miles becomes a central figure in the Mortalis, using his knowledge of history to find and disseminate ancient, forgotten stories about the natural cycle of life and death. These stories, shared in secret, kindle a sense of solidarity and purpose among the Mortalis. They dream of peacefully reclaiming their right to mortality without invoking the Coalition's wrath.

Through his research, Miles discovers a hidden archive from the pre-Continuance era. It contains records of early experiments in life extension and documents suggesting a failsafe — a final, irreversible shutdown mechanism designed as a contingency against unforeseen consequences of immortality. If it still exists, this failsafe could offer the Mortalis a way out, a means to embrace the end they crave.

Miles and his closest confidants embark on a perilous quest to locate the failsafe, navigating the treacherous landscape of a society that punishes dissent ruthlessly. Their journey takes them through the forgotten underbelly of Euthenica, where remnants of the old world linger in abandoned facilities and crumbling archives.

**

Miles, Lydia, and a few trusted Mortalis members navigate through an abandoned facility. They speak in whispers, the tension palpable.

"Are you sure this is the right place, Miles?" asks Julian, a younger member of the Mortalis.

"According to the archives, yes," Miles replies, his voice steady but tinged with anxiety. "We must keep moving. The Coalition's enforcers are not far behind."

As they draw closer to the failsafe, the stakes escalate. The Coalition, growing suspicious of the underground movement, intensifies its surveillance and crackdown efforts. Miles and his friends must outwit the Coalition's enforcers, risking everything for a chance at the one thing they have denied for centuries: the freedom to choose their own end.

Miles stands before the ancient device in the hidden chamber containing the failsafe, his hand hovering over the activation switch. The Coalition's enforcers are closing in, their footsteps echoing in the corridors.

"Miles, we don't have much time," Lydia urges, her voice filled with urgency. "You must decide now."

Miles looks at his friends, their faces reflecting a mix of hope and fear. "If I activate this, we achieve our freedom, but at what cost? There must be another way to challenge the Coalition without endangering everyone."

The door opens, and Director Selene Voss steps in, flanked by enforcers. "Miles Rydell, step away from the failsafe," she commands, her voice icy.

Miles meets her gaze, his resolve unwavering. "This is not about destruction, Selene. It is about choice. The freedom to live and die as we see fit."

Selene's expression softens just slightly. "You don't understand, Miles. This society, this eternal life, it is a gift. You would throw it all away?"

"It is not a gift if forced upon us," Miles retorts. "We are not truly living if we cannot choose to end it."

A tense silence fills the chamber. Then, with a deep breath, Miles makes his decision. "I will not activate the failsafe. But I will not let this end here. We will find another way to challenge the Coalition: reclaim our freedom."

Selene nods almost imperceptibly. "Very well, Miles. But know this: the Coalition will not yield easily. You and your Mortalis will be watched."

Miles feels a sense of clarity and purpose as the enforcers escort the Mortalis out of the chamber. The fight for mortality, for true freedom, is just beginning. And he will not rest until every person in Euthenica has the right to choose their destiny.

July 13, 2024 12:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

19:58 Jul 28, 2024

Good idea, and nice end.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
21:21 Jul 28, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel P
22:48 Jul 23, 2024

"By erasing death, we've eradicated pain and the profound joy of overcoming it." Great line. Really enjoyed this story

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
23:18 Jul 23, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Scott
08:59 Jul 21, 2024

Beautifully written, deep, insightful and a lovely dose of sci-fi dystopia.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
09:48 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you, James.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christy Morgan
19:25 Jul 20, 2024

I was listening to music this morning and there was a line in a song — I’d give up forever to touch you The same sentiment as your story… humans long to overcome the struggle, to be loved genuinely, to live in the fleeting moments. To live an eternal life on earth would come with many pitfalls. Thanks for sharing a thought-provoking and beautifully imagined story.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:29 Jul 20, 2024

Thank you, Christy. How many goals we wanted to achieve in life and then when finally we succeeded, turns out that it isn't what we wanted. That was my thought when I write this story.

Reply

Christy Morgan
19:34 Jul 20, 2024

Yes! The age old adage of be careful what you wish for… you captured it in a unique way. Very well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
19:57 Jul 19, 2024

As usual, very creative and well written. We think it would be wonderful if medicine advances to the point of everlasting life, but this makes us think. Would it really? Great job.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
20:31 Jul 19, 2024

Thank you, Linda.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
14:45 Jul 16, 2024

great write much enjoyed

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:03 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
10:59 Jul 16, 2024

I fear Miles and friends might be reprogrammed for the greater good. I kept wondering if babies were allowed in Euthenica A wonderful way to tackle the choice issue, Darvica. And yes, Mary, even ice cream will lose its appeal if it's a steady diet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
21:25 Jul 13, 2024

Too much of a good thing. Always wondered if I worked at an ice cream store, for example, would I still think of ice cream as a treat? Don't mess with mother Nature.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
21:43 Jul 13, 2024

True. Thanks for the read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
18:58 Jul 13, 2024

Fascinating story with many complex layers, details and depths that are thought provoking for the reader! Unique and philosophical. Excellent!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:15 Jul 13, 2024

Thank you,Kristi. Had lot of pleasure to write this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.