Two rival academics pursuing the same grant

Submitted into Contest #223 in response to: Write about two rival academics pursuing the same grant.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Friendship Fiction

This is the last class of the day and math teacher Ruby mam is still writing formulas in the black board. I am too tired to focus but I’m still taking notes so that I can review them after I get home in the evening. I am starving! I look at my best friend Jane, she doesn’t look tired at all! I wish I had Jane’s level of energy. When it comes to study, Jane is always focused. Jane relocated to our town two years ago, and we’ve been best friends ever since. It didn’t take much effort to be friends with Jane, as if we were born to be best friends. Before Jane, I used to be the top in the class but for the last two times, Jane is doing top. It would be a lie if I say it doesn’t bother me, but the reason is not Jane its my own parents. Jane is like a twin sister to me, she always help me and I am sure if I outperform her, it will make her only more happier. But my parents don’t get it. They always compare me with Jane and the worst part is, sometime they do that even in front of Jane!

“I hope you all take notes!” Ruby mom says as she stops writing and turns around.These are very important formulas and most of them will appear in your next term exam”

When the bell rings, I straighten up in my seat and ready to get my belongings and go when Ruby mam says, “Thank you class! Have a wonderful weekend. Oh, and before I forget, Rhea and Jane, please stay, and the rest of the class, please leave.”

“Why me and why Jane! What she needs to tell us now! I am starving!” I mutter

Jane glances at me suspiciously “do you know what’s the matter?”

“I have no clue!” I almost cry.

Ruby mom waits until the class is empty before continuing, “Congratulations to both of you! You two have been selected from our school to participate in this year’s Math championship program. You two were chosen from our school to compete in this year’s Math championship program. You will represent our school at the state level, and if you win the entire competition, you will receive a summer internship with Google, as well as a complete scholarship for your first year of college!”

I raise my eyebrow and look at Ruby mam for a long moment in disbelief, then my gaze back to Jane. She is also staring me. I can see the same suspicion in her eyes.

Ruby mam “Take your time, think about it over the weekend, talk to your parents and then meet me on Monday for any questions.”

She smiles as she softly pats our backs and exits the classroom. Jane and I are still in disbelief and trying to digest everything.

“This is huge!” Jane finally said, breaking the silence. I can’t believe school chose us for it!”

“I know!”

Jane, “Let’s go?”

“Yes!”

Jane, “I will call you later to discuss about it!”

I nod “Yep! totally”

I open the front door and say, “Mom! I’m home and I’m hungry!” Mom responds, “I’m in the kitchen.” The food has been prepared, but please change your clothes first. and don’t forget to wash your hands” I sigh and head upstairs to change.

When I return to the kitchen, mom is making tea for herself, and a dish of white sauce pasta is waiting for me on the kitchen island. “I have prepared pasta for you,” Mom says. “It’s a while sauce pasta,” I say, disappointed. I hate white sauce spaghetti.

“How was your day?” Mom asks as she joins me at the counter with her tea.

I replied with a mouth full of pasta “Actually I have something to tell you”

Mom looks concern immediately. “what is it?”

I motion for her to wait until I finish what I’m already chewing… and then proceed “The school has decided to send me and Jane to the math championship program this year.” Whoever wins the entire thing will receive a summer internship at Google, and if one of us from our school wins, we will also receive a complete scholarship for the first year of college from our school.”

“Wow!” says Mom, raising an eyebrow. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you, and you must win it.”

I roll my eyes while still gazing down at my bowl so Mom doesn’t notice. I hate it when my mother speaks in this way. All the other students who didn’t even selected for this, are their life wasted? She should be proud that her daughter was chosen by the school out of hundreds of students, but instead of acknowledging that for a moment, she instantly begins lecturing me! I hate her! And that’s not all; the same subject will be discussed again at the dinner table, and dad will join mom! I roll my eyes once more at the idea.

“Rhea!” Mom yelled. “Are you paying attention to me?”

“Yes, mother!” I’m sitting right beside you… “How can I not pay attention?”

She keeps saying, “You have done enough time pass in last few years, now it’s time, get serious and think about your future”

I take two more spoons of pasta and place the bowl in the sink while avoiding eye contact. “I’m going to my room.” “I’m getting a headache,” I can hear my mother sighing in desperation behind me.

Back in my room, I take out my physics book and try to concentrate, but after a few failed efforts, I put on my headphones and begin listening to an audio book on audible instead. I soon fell asleep, but a sudden tap on my door jolts me up. “Can I come in?” Dad asks from the other side.

“Yes, it’s open,” I say forcefully.

“I heard the good news, Rhea!” says Dad. It’s fantastic!”

I am surprised seeing his excitement but at the same time waiting for his lecture followed by. I smile a little.

Dad takes a seat at the edge of the bed, “Mr Smith called me today in my office” I look surprised, “Jane’s father!” why?”

Dad nods and stares me in the eyes, “Rhea! “Can I ask you something, honey?”

This time, I nod, puzzled.

Dad, I was wondering “do you feel we push you too much sometimes?”

I glance at him, puzzled, wondering where he’s heading with this. This does not sound like Dad… What happened to him? and why did Jane’s father call him?

Dad, “Rhea! you can tell me the truth!”

I’m not sure I can tell him the truth. This may be a new trick they’re playing on me, and as soon as I tell him how I feel, they’ll come up with a new way to torture me mentally! I don’t believe him!

Dad takes my hand in his and stares at me, apologizing. I can sense sincerity in his eyes, as if he genuinely meant it, and no game in his voice.

“I sometimes feel you guys don’t love or appreciate me for who I am!” I look down at my hands, which he is still holding. All that matters to you are my exam results, not me. Me and Jane are the only two girls chosen by the school out of hundreds of students, but when I told mom, her first reaction was this is a life time opportunity for you and you must win it. She never once said how proud she is! I was anticipating the same thing from you… but now your behavior looks suspicious to me! "

“I’m sorry, honey!” Dad laughs a little, but his eyes are watery.

“Dad!” I say as I remove my hands out of his and try to straighten my back. Please tell me why Jane’s father called you.”

Dad swallows hard. “Unlike us, Jane’s parents were already celebrating her selection, selection itself was enough for them. They weren’t pushing her to work hard and win the competition.””

Dad pauses for a moment, as if unsure of what to say next. “And…?” I ask, my eyes narrowing.

Dad, “Jane and her mom decide to go for pizza to celebrate…”

Dad pauses once again, and these brief pauses between sentences are killing me! “They met an accident!” he begins, before I can poke him to continue.

“Are they okay?” I ask. dad? Please tell me they’re all right!”

“Her mom is in the ICU, but the passenger side airbag didn’t open,” Dad says, and I gaze at him in shock! “how is Jane dad?” “Please tell me how Jane is,” I yell at him. My eyes fill up with tears.

“Jane didn’t survive,” Dad tries to pull me into a hug. “I’m so sorry, sweetheart,” I sobbed into my father’s arm, “but… Jane is my best friend, dad!” “I’m baffled as to how this could have happened to her.”

“Don’t cry sweety,” Dad says as he pats my back.

I suddenly look up at him, but how come no one from school tried to reach out to me? I search under my pillow for my phone in order to check the WhatsApp group for messages… But when I picked up the phone, it was turned off. While listening, I fell asleep and didn’t notice my phone was turned off! “Dad, my phone was turned off!” “Perhaps if I wasn’t sleeping and didn’t forget to charge it, I could help Jane,” I cried.

Dad hugs me again, saying, “Nothing you could have done here, sweety.”

“I could have had Dad…” I really should have!” I sob .. “If I had called her or gone to her house to discuss the contest strategy, as we agreed, she would not have gone out for pizza and she would still be alive right now… It is entirely my fault because I fall asleep.”

Dad tries to console me, saying, “no no no dear no… This was not your fault, so please stop blaming yourself… There are things beyond our control, and there will always be things beyond your control, sweetheart. But you must be brave!”

“She is my best friend, dad,” I say, the word “is” caught in my throat as soon as I said it.

“Sweety!” Dad pulls me into his chest. “Would you like to come downstairs and stay with me and Mom?”

“I don’t want to be alone,” I nod. “You don’t have to be!” Dad says. “Wash your face and have some water, and I’ll take you downstairs.”

At night, I decide to sleep on the couch with the TV on. I don’t want to be alone, the silence will kill me. Keeping the TV on will make me feel like I’m in a crowd. I close my eyes, but there is no sign of sleep. Every now and then, I can hear either mom or dad coming out of their room to quietly check on me.

I don’t understand how come they care for me so much and at the same time manage to hide it all so well. The same parent who didn’t bother congratulating me a few hours ago is now unable to sleep because I am in pain. For the first time today, I saw fear in their eyes, fear of losing me. I’m curious how the mere prospect of losing me can give them such anguish.

The next morning, I open my eyes to the sound of my father’s voice, and they are talking in the kitchen. I can hear them chatting but can’t hear what they are talking about. I decide not to interrupt them and go to my room.

After a while, I hear a tap at my door, and it’s my father saying, “sweet, you want to eat something?” As he says it, he opens the door. I shake my head once he’s inside.

“What are you doing?” says Dad, raising an eyebrow.

I show him the book I’m holding in my lap.

“Are you okay, honey?” Dad asks, sitting down at the edge of the bed.

Dad: “you didn’t eat anything from yesterday”

“I am not feeling like eating”

“Come down and have breakfast with us,” Dad says. Perhaps just milk or an apple?”

Before I can say anything, he continues, “don’t put too much pressure on yourself. We are very happy that you are doing so great in school and we are very lucky to have you”

“This is not for you or mom! This is for Jane. I want to win the competition for Jane. I know she wanted to win it and now the least I can do is live her dream” I can feel hot tears streaming down my cheeks.

Dad nod but says nothing.

“I will come down in a beat”

Dad smiles a little and drops a kiss it my head, “love you sweety”

It completely changed my relationship with my parents, not only from their perspective, but also from mine. They began to appreciate me more frequently, and I began to respect their opinions and feelings a little more. This encounter transformed me from a stubborn teenager to a young lady in an instant. I think about Jane every day, and she inspires me to study hard for the competition.

It’s been two months since it happened, and tomorrow is the big day! The event will be held in a hotel in Manhattan, which is around 150 miles from our home, so mom and dad decided to use it as a family vacation. Dad is taking a week off from work, so we’ll be driving tonight. We will spend the entire week in the city after the competition, regardless of the outcome. They kept saying to me: “No matter if you win or lost the contest, you are already a winner for us and we are already very proud of you and we are going to have a lot of fun in the City!”

I’m seated in the lobby with the other contestants, while my parents are waiting in the guest gallery with the other parents. I’m not nervous; in fact, I’m quite confident. I know my parents and Jane are with me, and that is enough for me. After many rounds and about five hours of various tests, I am now on stage with four other contestants. It’s time for results. The gallery is full of parents. From the audience, Dad gives me a flying kiss.

The top three scorers will be announced by the judging panel. The audience lights were turned out before they began announcing the name.

“Raymond has secured the third position!” says the judge. Please give a big hand for him”

Raymond collects his certificate and trophy and take his seat back.

Judge: “The second position is secured by Joe!”

Everyone begins clapping.

“It’s time for this year’s winner,” the judge continues. He pauses for a while to consider the card in his hand before continuing. “I have something to tell you before I announce the winner.” For the first time, we have two winners! Both of them scored exactly the same, and this is the first time in our history that we will have two championship winners.”

Without waiting for the judge to declare the winners, everyone begins clapping. When the judge notices the audience’s excitement, he laughs and motions for silence. “And the winners are Jane and Rhea!” he says, taking the microphone in his hand.

For a brief minute, I felt as if the ground beneath me was shifting. Jane!! Did he say Jane and Rhea? I nervously try to find my parents among the crowd, but because the audience in dark, I can’t find them. Then I glance at the judge, stunned. Someone’s tap returns me to the stage. “Hey!” says the girl sitting next to me. congratulations! Let’s go for the trophy together!” She attempts to smile broadly. When the judge detects my disbelief, he cheerfully declares “Give a big hand for Jane and Rhea!”

“You Jane?” I asked the girl next to me.

She laughs in bemusement but says nothing. Okay, so she’s Jane! Tears well up in my eyes, and I’m not sure if they’re happy tears or because her name is Jane!

Finally, I locate my folks in the backstage area. They sensed my confusion on stage and gave me a tight hug as soon as I greeted them.

November 10, 2023 14:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.