Memorable Enough Without It

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about solidarity.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Pierre is 12 years. One day a man came to his village somewhere in Haiti and told him that he could earn American dollars for collecting eggs from a hen house. That sounded good, so Pierre climbed into the truck where he was soon joined by other children, some as young as 8 years, and young men too who were eager because of the promise of paid work.

They traveled east and soon crossed the border into the Dominican Republic. There they were turned over to white men in uniforms who gave each of them a piece of paper called a “contract”. Pierre, who could not read, was told to put his thumbprint on the paper. This black boy and some of the others were then taken to what he recognized as a sugar plantation. 

He lived with other children in concrete overcrowded barracks without drinking water, electricity, cooking facilities or toilets. No education was provided and health care was offered only for extreme emergencies. Pierre never saw any money and at the end of the six months harvest season, he had nothing. He was simply trucked back to Haiti and dropped.

It is August 1993, and I arrive in Barbados. The year before in May I had finally obtained my bachelor's degree in Journalism. And I really wanted to travel for work as a journalist. Actually, two weeks after I had obtained my diploma, I was offered to live as a trainee on this Caribbean island for two years. I thought this would be the time of my life. Indeed, it was, but then again, a test of oneself, one’s faith and commitment. In some ways, it was hard, at times, taking a difficult toll on me.

Month after month I had to work tirelessly to understand the structures and the policies of the receiving organization and my position as an intern. However, in the end, this internship became a way of life, a culture absorbing every waking moment of the day and impinging itself on my dreams at night. It became a pleasure and a pain, and above all, an example of how dedication, commitment and creativity can overcome professional and personal limitations.   

My mission as an intern was to look for the communities of justice in the Caribbean and to help publicize them. Social justice played an important role in my assignments. Now after so many years I am still remembering some issues across the Caribbean. And so, it happened that the social injustices black people have long struggled against, once again demanded all my attention and urged me to write.

I moved to a small country to the north of Brazil, which happens to be my home, Suriname. But somewhere down the road before I returned home my mind was captured by the different ways social classes interact in historical conjunctions.

These thoughts could shed light on the meaning of the racial issues in the world. There are mixed assessments about race issues around the world. Some leaders lament about strong political bias; within that group those who felt that it was not fair could not break through the crises. There were a few who felt that these issues were another brick in the wall. As the Pink Floyd song goes; we do not need no education, we do not need no thought control, no dark sarcasm in the classroom, Teacher leave them kids alone!

So, I am asking myself who can forget the memorable haunting sound that evokes so many horrors in our minds when thinking about racism. Is it too much to ask to live without it?

However, modern-day world leaders have not been a critical instrument for the promotion of human rights and civic freedom. Besides, it has been observed that over a period of time they mostly remain silent. The major problem with racism seems to be the question of common ground to solve the problem. Maintenance of order by the police particularly lends itself to dramatic consequences. In some cases, the result of excessive force by the police on civilians, causes the whole of society to be in turmoil. Throughout the world evaluations reflect much of this racial behavior within geographical regions and their relative affluence that makes it difficult to divide the world so easily into so few categories. Moreover, many find the distinction conveys an undesirable impression of a social/cultural hierarchy and that the implicit goal is for the “Third World” to become like those in the First World.” (McCrae 1993).


World Leaders Avoid Contact with Blacks

Persons consulted invariably drew attention to the weak link between world leaders and blacks in various countries. One church leader suggested that there should have been a more systematic flow of information between these leaders and blacks using influential persons in the countries as focal points.

Another aspect of communication is how these leaders are behaving towards black people in the world. It seems as if their problems around the globe do not exist politically. The president of the USA is not interested in the fortunes of blacks outside America. If you are not an American, US authorities act as if there is a barrier that blocks further integration with its people.

In countries from the European Union, there seems to be a very strong feeling (certainly among blacks) of wanting to be part of Black Live Matters protests. They follow closely what stance the European leadership is taking to make their presence felt in the world. Evidently, both the US and Europe are not doing enough to let go of racism in the world.  


Some Concerns of Black Leadership around the World

The biggest issues raised by black leaders are institutionalized racism and procedures and regulations for law enforcement. The leaders observed that black communities around the world need to manage their concerns differently and point to massive suffering that these attitudes of not only the police but also other law officers have caused. The suffering is highlighted in reports of various non-governmental organizations throughout the world. A lay person in church wrote: “…..it is the poorest who must bear the burdens on their children-but this thing-this diabolical thing called racism-is not just a bitter pill for us to swallow, it is a poisonous pill that kills our people.”

The black leaders stated that in 1970 most industrialized countries agreed to support social justice aid programs of black communities around the world but since then they have reduced this support steadily and probably will continue to do so. These countries also agreed that aid receiving countries would have the freedom to spend the funds from aid programs in the best way they think that it would foster change in the behavior of perpetrators of racial hatred and xenophobia. But usually aid recipients are required to spend aid money on goods and services from donor countries.


Social Justice

While discussions on foreign aid recognizes that social justice development is essential, the question of who will be trained remains unanswered. Shall it be the victims of racism, to enable them to defend themselves against aggression of perpetrators and involve local people’s organization in designing and implementing the program? Or shall it be the national police force that can work on changing the structures of rule and regulation of maintaining order? The donors have opted strongly for the latter group. As one of the leaders puts it: “this is not really people’s centered social justice or a fight against racial hatred. Instead the power structure is training their armed forces to make a fool of victims, humiliate, injure. And kill. I do not believe that the behavior of xenophobes and/or racial hatred is due to a dominance of race, poverty, gender, social class, ethnicity, or nation. Shouldn’t we look at our interaction as a community in history with the overall structure of society? Maybe since then driving forces of our communities have been playing their part.


It Justifies Itself

My own problems as a black person began with having the feel of not being accepted by the community, whatever I would do to please the other person. Then evil strikes in me. I seek satisfaction, or should I say to indulge my lust? I get caught up in sexual addiction, drugs, and aggression. And this is someone who was so eager to help improve the world. How do you make that happen? Despite these embarrassing circumstances, I trusted that I would survive this mission.

If I now compare this dire situation, especially my behavior with that of the policeman, Derek Chauvin who killed the victimized George Floyd in the recent racial injustice incident in the US, am I a better person? Indeed, one could argue that it does not match but be it not the same evil that has bothered me, struck him too? In my case when I fell through the basket, I was willing to better my life from that moment on. But along the way, I often noticed that my behavior from the past came back amplified. I wondered if I had repented of all the evil, I had committed in my life.

Doubts about hidden sins entered my heart. It took me 25 years before I started to feel a mental change and spiritual power entered my body to resist wrongdoings. In that period of time, I had a heart attack to finally let go of my way. If one wants to live in peace with others, creation, and in everyday life, the longest lesson taught is to deal with evil for a lifetime.

As a community we will have to make that sacrifice. The individual cannot escape. Thinking of this issue every now and then the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest comes to mind. As a youngster at the age of 16 I broke into my neighbor’s house and now while I am in the autumn of my life, I live again next door to those same neighbors.

Unlike Ken Kesey’s novel I have taken strict measures to settle the damage done to the family. It gives me peace with myself and the neighbors. You can also brush it aside and think I am just a fool. One might force it, but more than ever behavior involving physical force intended to hurt or damage will stun and embarrass our communities. Extreme forms of human action will be manifest in our faith, gender, race, ethnicity, poverty, social class, justice, wealth, and misery. 


Integration of Blacks

Attempts to counteract this violence will reveal who is willing to sacrifice from within or who hides behind laws and regulations. Evil in us will prevail until we stop it with lifelong sacrifices. It hurts but it heals and brings peace and joy to our communities. That courage and boldness to undergo such torment makes the difference from person to person and shapes life.

As it is said: alone you go faster, but together we get further. It will make us memorable enough without racial injustices. As a black man I do feel different, but not like the high and mighty better-than-everybody-else kind of different, but a humbled different. 

In the past two decades, black communities have ended up in a posture of resistance, making furious efforts to survive deteriorating social injustices.

In addition, black people in every corner of the world are often ready to adjust to industrialized patterns. Recognizing both their cultural diversity and shared heritage. There is need to encourage opportunities for expanding and strengthening social justice networks at all levels.  


Common Struggle

Can communities play an important role in the process of black and white integration? Very often ordinary women and men have been discussing themes such as the strengthening of democratic institutions and the attainment of better social justice for blacks. Therefore, black, and white forerunners in communities, that have long suffered social injustices at the hands of their judicial system, rightfully must claim changing the act of social justice. They have to win the necessary votes, instituting black people life matter of Black Lives Matter. Which should bring blacks and whites together to play a significant part, but it needs political muscle and support for an integrated revelation. Looks like political leaders across the globe seem to understand that now social justice, in particular, the common struggle against racial injustice is a key element for community integration.

In this process there is a great demand to touch base with world leaders and organizations as Black Lives Matter. These leaders’ conscious of changes and integration occurring in global communities could provide new approaches to securing social justice opportunities.


Many Difficulties

There is a story by the late Caribbean author George Lamming though not exactly the same way as I am going to rephrase it. The story goes, ……. beautiful young black Jean in her twenties has not worked since the time she has dropped out of school but now has gone to the US. She has been there for two years, got a night job or a day job, she is at school, she thinks she may be able to come home for holiday next Christmas.

There has been a change in Jean’s expectations. It would be crazy for anyone to tell Jean’s aunt that Jean is in a sinister place. Jean is from my hometown, Paramaribo, Bridgetown, Georgetown, Kingston any Caribbean territory. And then the power structures of deep layers of historic and systematic racial injustice of the murders of Ahmaud Arberry, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, David McAthee, and countless others tell Jean’s aunt that the US is a repository of black failures.

And when the aunt dismisses this, they say that she is backward. The distance from the experience and feeling of Jean’s aunt stamps a certain type of force with the same contempt for black people of which world leaders can be guilty.

But against this type there is another of which Nathan of Convertkite surprised me with his writing: Present-day creators and social activists use their gifts and platforms to expose and demand change, bringing light to darkness. Racial injustice is not new, and the discussion is not limited to the present. The creator (artist abundantly equipped with the ability of the mind to be creative or resourceful) community has exposed the layers of darkness and hope for generations. For example, a great creator, Billie Holiday, recorded these lyrics in 1939:

"Southern trees bearing strange fruit

Blood on the leaves and blood at the roots

Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze

Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees”

This song depicted lynching that suffocated 1000s of Black lives. Here we are today with the Black community still suffocating. The US has yet to fully address its deepest sins that started 400 years ago in 1619 — slavery and the devaluation of Black lives.

For over 400 years, Black communities have disproportionately suffered. Slavery, Jim Crow laws, redlining, gerrymandering, voter suppression, lending discrimination, mass incarceration, and police brutality are examples of systemic methods with one goal — devalue Black lives and preserve white supremacy and privilege.

Throughout time America has flourished on the backs of Black lives who have driven economies, movements, and scientific discoveries. For example, Black scientists from George Washington Carver, Percy Julian, Daniel Hale Williams, Katherine Johnson to Neil DeGrasse Tyson have saved lives by discovering open heart surgery, synthesizing drug treatments, and exploring space — to name a few. Despite the immeasurable contributions by Black communities, Black lives are devalued by racially driven laws and systems that produce vast economic and health disparities when compared to white counterparts. America has been rightfully pushed to reckon with this deep-seated systemic racism through various inflection points and movements. The civil war, the public outcry on the death of Emmett Till, the civil rights movement, and the election of the first Black US president (Barack Obama) are inflection points.

Another inflection point is here, and Black Lives Matter is fueling the movement. We will do everything we can to support people of all backgrounds who are protesting across the globe.


Ceremony of Souls

In the aftermath of yet another episode of racial injustice I recognize the resistance of protesters against police violation and brutality. The ovation for the victims, had made possible a Ceremony of Souls with “its drama of redemption, drama of returning, drama of cleansing for a commitment towards the future.” Justifiably as Lamming, “a white-hair black man with an accent,” mentioned black leaders too should “want the collective mind of blacks feel the political sovereignty of a people which seems impossible unless it rests upon a cultural base created by its own.” 

June 11, 2020 22:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.