The Band

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Write a story about a fandom... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction

     The gravel crunched under his boots as Tucker Howard crossed the parking lot. At least he thought it was as there were no vehicles parked anywhere. Stopping to read the sign on the building which said, Halfway There Bar & Grill, he admired the attractive structure. The front of the building was made of stone with polished, wooden steps leading up to the doors. Large wood beams extended out from the front supporting a high peaked, slate tile roof. Rocking chairs were scattered along the covered front porch though no one was sitting in them. The bar sat on the shoreline of a large lake. He could hear music playing and people partying coming from the back deck that overlooked the water. It was warm and sunny.

         Instead of going inside after climbing the steps, Tucker followed the porch around to the back. He stopped and took it in. There weren't as many people as all the noise would indicate. Some were sitting at the bar which was along the back of the deck up against the building. People sitting alone were scattered around the tables with a few dancing. Most of the noise was coming from the band playing on a stage at the end of the deck out near the water and from people singing along with the music. Based on the music they were playing, it was a cover band performing oldies and popular songs of the day. They were good in his opinion and Tucker found himself tapping his foot to the song they were playing. There was a banner with the band's name on it behind the drummer which said, Coco Locos. Tucker had no idea what the name referenced but it was catchy. There were five members, drums, keyboards, lead guitar, bass, and saxophone. Based on the first two songs he listened to, the band members appeared to take turns singing. 

         Thirsty from his walk, Tucker headed to the bar and found an open seat. Like the rest of the place, the bar was well-built and attractive. A woodworker by trade, he made furniture, cabinets, and a few bars like this one so he appreciated the care that was taken and the nice touches whoever had built the bar had put into it. Sitting on a tall chair, he waited for the bartender to make her way down to him. When she stopped along the way to serve someone, Tucker turned sideways and looked out over the lake. It was a calm day and the water was serene and very blue in color. While he couldn't see the far shore, he watched several flocks of waterfowl flying up and down the lake. It was beautiful with the sun reflecting off the water.

         "What can I get you?"

         He turned back and looked at the bartender. She was middle-aged, attractive, had a nice smile, and a low, pleasant voice. "Anything cold you have on tap as long as it's not an IPA. Thanks."

         "You got it," she said. She put the frosty glass in front of him on a coaster with the bar's name on it. "What's your name, sweetie?" she asked.

         "Tucker Howard."

         " I'm Sally. Glad to meet you, Tucker."

         "You too, Sally. What do I owe you?"

         "I started you a tab so relax and enjoy the music. The band's just getting started and before you know it, they'll have the place rocking," she replied.

         While the Coco Locos played, Tucker looked around. Everyone seemed to be there by themselves, even the dancers danced alone. No one was congregating. He was just finishing his beer when the band stopped.

         "Time for us to take a break but no worries, we'll be back soon so have another drink, relax and enjoy yourselves." There was a round of applause that Tucker joined in on. He waved at Sally who dropped off a new frosty glass. Someone came up and stood beside him. Sally walked down.

         "The band want their normal round?" she asked.

         "Yeah, thanks, Sally."

         Tucker looked to the side. It was a guy from the band, the sax player he thought. He was older, slender, and looked like he'd been around the block a few times.

         "You guys are good," Tucker said to him.

         "Thanks, we try," the sax player replied.

         "Coco Locos, pretty wild name."

         He chuckled. "I know, right. Before you ask, I have no idea where it came from. It was already called that when I joined. Since none of the guys are originals either, I'm pretty sure no one knows. Band members come and go only the name remains the same," he said in an announcer-type voice.

         Tucker laughed and stuck out his hand, "Name's Tucker."

         The guy shook his hand and said, "I'm Bob. You just arrive?"

         Tucker nodded. "Um, I think I'm trying to cross the lake. I saw a sign for the ferry. Do you know when it gets here?" he asked.  

         Bob noticed how unsure he seemed. Tucker wasn't the first one he talked to that acted confused.  He shrugged. "It's not on a schedule as far as I can tell. It will show up eventually. Everybody hangs out here until it comes."

         Tucker tilted his head towards a guy dozing at a table. "Looks like he's been waiting awhile."

         "Some people get here and then decide to wait and take a later ferry. When it arrives Management will send someone to help him get onboard." Sally dropped off a tray of beers. "Thanks, Sally." Bob turned to him. "By any chance do you play bass? Our bass player has been talking about heading across and seeing what opportunities there are on that side."

         Tucker looked at him oddly. "You're asking me if I want to join the band?"

         "That's how we all joined. I came here and hung out and one of the members asked me if I played sax. I used to be in a band when I was younger. I intended to just play a few sets with them until the boat arrived, but I enjoyed being in a rock and roll band again so I stayed."

         "You can wail on it that's for sure but I only dabble with a harmonica."

         "Do you have it with you?"

         "I don't think so," Tucker said as he checked his pockets. He pulled it out of his back pocket. He frowned wondering how he'd forgotten he had it. "I guess I lied, I do have it."

         Bob grinned. "Great, come up and play a little."

         "Hey Bob," someone from the band yelled over. "The beers are getting warm. Quit gabbing, we're thirsty."

         Bob laughed and flashed the guy the finger. "Gotta go. When we start again, I'll wave to you to come up." He picked up the tray of beers and headed over to where the band was standing, a couple of them smoking cigarettes. The band finished their beers, headed back to the stage, and played a number. At the end of it, Bob waved to him. A little nervous, Tucker headed over.

         "We have a treat for you all," Bob said over the mic. "One of our guests is going to play harmonica with us. Everyone give a round of applause for Tucker." There was some polite clapping as he came up on the stage. "We'll start playing and just join in," Bob told him.

         "What song are you going," but the band cut him off, launching into a Leonard Skinner tune. Tucker knew his way around a harmonica but he never played this song before. He shrugged and started playing along. To his amazement, he didn't miss a note.

         When the song was over Bob looked at him, grinning. "You did good. Stay and play the set with us." When they took a break, he headed back to his seat at the bar. Sally dropped off a fresh beer and gave him a thumbs up.  He was still amazed how well he had played since it wasn't something he did all the time.

         Bob came back to the bar and motioned to Sally for another round for the band. He turned to Tucker. "A harmonica fits in well with the band. You should stay awhile and take a later ferry. What else do you have to do?"

         "It was fun. I'll think about it." Tucker watched another person arrive. "I have a question though. How does everyone get here? I didn't see any vehicles."

        "The same way you did I guess. I gotta get these beers back before they start bitching again. If you're hungry try the New York strips. Food's pretty good."

         He followed Bob's advice and ordered a steak. He was right, the food was good. The band would play a set, take a break, and play more. It went on for several hours. Tucker saw new people wander in and take seats. It was odd. A horn mounted on the roof suddenly let out a long, loud blast. Off in the distance heading their way, Tucker could see a boat coming. It made its way to the pier which was connected to the deck. A well-dressed man came out from inside, shook the guy who had been dozing, and directed him where to go. Most of the other people began making their way across the deck and down the pier. A handful stayed and watched. Tucker waved Sally down and asked for his tab.

         "Bob said since you played, I should comp you. You should stick around. You were pretty good and the band could use some new talent. There's always another ferry."

         Tucker was comfortable, the beer was cold and the food was good. It was a warm, pleasant day. He wasn't in any hurry and had a good time playing with the band so decided to take Sally and Bob's advice and wait for another ferry. After the ferry departed, the place was pretty empty. He moved from the bar to a table with an umbrella. Since there were only a few people left, the band put their instruments away and came and sat with him. Sally brought over a round for everyone and sat down as well. 

         "Good, I'm glad you decided to stay awhile," Bob said to him. He introduced the other members of the band.

         There was small talk with the band ribbing each other about their playing. Sally joined in the banter, getting up occasionally to refill a drink for a remaining guest or to bring more beers to the table. As they talked, Tucker realized that though he had been here at least several hours, the position of the sun had never changed. It was still high in the sky bright and warm. He began to feel unsettled with the oddness of the place. No cars, time seemed suspended, and when he thought about it, he never saw money or credit cards being exchanged. The other very strange thing he now realized was there had been no returning passengers on the ferry when it arrived.

         "What's it like over there?" he asked.

         Bob shrugged. "No idea, none of us have been there."

         Tucker frowned at his answer. "None of you have ever taken the ferry across to see?" They all shook their heads. "Wait, I'm missing something," he said looking at the band and Sally. "What is this place really? Come to think of it, how did I even get here?" They all had knowing smiles on their faces like they had been waiting for him to ask. 

         "What do you remember?" Bob asked.

         He thought for several moments trying to recall. It was hard like the memory was slippery and difficult to grab onto. "I'm not sure. I think I remember being in my truck going to get some supplies for a project and then I was walking across the gravel parking lot. That's about it." The others were just sitting, watching him. "But that doesn't explain how or why I'm here now." Tucker suddenly remembered the name of the bar, Halfway There, the perpetual day, people just showing up here and then leaving on a boat that had no returning passengers. Other things like how well he had played harmonica even though he only really dabbled with it and had never played with anyone before. The pieces started clicking together. Only one answer made any sense. He stared at them. "Wait a minute, are you saying I'm dead?" he whispered.

         "No one is saying anything," Bob answered. 

         "But I drank beer, I ate food and played harmonica with the band. How could I do that if I was dead?"

         One of the band members held up a coaster with the bar's name on it. "Maybe because you're only halfway there."

         Starting to panic, Tucker stood. "No, no, this can't be right. I was just going to get some wood and supplies. I can't be dead. I mean how did it even happen?"

         In her low, pleasant voice, Sally said softly. "Sit down and relax, Tucker. Take a minute and regroup. The hard part's over."

         "But I was driving and then I showed up here with this vague notion of crossing the lake on a ferry. None of it makes any sense," he blurted out. She motioned for him to sit. Tucker slowly sat down again as the others looked at him sympathetically.

         "What you're feeling has to do with how it occurred," Sally said. "It seems like the ones who leave as soon as the first ferry arrives, saw it coming and knew it was going to happen so they have a better understanding. There's a few like us who didn't so we don't get it at first." Heads nodded all around the table. She put her hand on his. "We know it's confusing but relax and listen."

         "Sally has been here longer than any of us," Bob said.

         She continued. "Most leave right away. Ones like us who are still trying to figure it out and accept what happened, aren't ready to take the ferry and so stay here and tend bar, play in the band, cook, or do whatever suits them. All the improvements to this place like the deck and bar, for example, have been done by ones like us. We've all sat where you are now trying to understand. Take your time, there's no hurry. Since we all get there eventually, Management has no need to force us to go.  Besides, they need ones like us to run the place," she finished with a smile. That brought a laugh from everyone.

         "The band members change only the name remains the same," Tucker said repeating Bob's words.

         They all grinned. "Now you're starting to get it," Bob said. "As Sally told you the hard part's over so relax and enjoy yourself. It's always warm and sunny, the beer's cold, the food's good, this is a beautiful place, and the company's great. We get to play music and hang out. You'll have as much time as you want to work on your harmonica playing and maybe even pick up a new instrument like the bass. It's pretty great and when you're ready there's always the next ferry. There's no downside, trust me."

         He looked around the table. As crazy as it all sounded, it now made perfect sense to him. He could work on his harmonica playing or maybe use his woodworking skills and build a better stage for the band. When he was ready he would take the ferry and see what was over there. He grinned. 

         "Then how about another round of beers."


         The woman came around from the front and stood watching the band named Coco Locos. The stage looked new and it fit in perfectly with the rest of the place. The band was good and she liked the sound of the sax and harmonica. She wandered up to the bar. The bartender came over.

         "What can I get you?" she asked in a low, pleasant voice.

         "A glass of red wine preferably a Pinot Noir if you have it."

         "Coming right up." The bartender put a large glass of wine in front of her. "What's your name, sweetie?"

         "Joan, Joan Montalvo."

         "I'm Sally. Have you ever bartended before, Joan? I'm getting a feeling that you know your way around a bar." Joan nodded. Sally pushed up the walk-through section. "Why don't you come in and let me show you around back here. There's a ferry coming at some point and I'm thinking of taking it across."

         "Are you offering me a job?"

         "If you want it. The tips aren't that good but it's a great place to bartend. The customers never give you a hard time, the view is gorgeous, and the music is good. You'll be a big fan of the band in no time. Give it a shot and see what you think."

         Joan gave her a confused look. "I'm not really sure how I even got here," she said.

         "No worries, you will."

         Joan quickly oriented herself and started waiting on guests. As odd as it all was, it somehow felt right. The band took a break and the sax player came to the bar.

         "The band always gets the same thing," Sally said. She helped Joan get the beers which Joan put on a tray.

         "My name's Bob, what's yours?" he asked her.

         There was a long, loud blast from the horn on the roof as the ferry came in. Sally came out from behind the bar and gave everyone in the band a tight hug.

         "See you all soon," Sally said to them and then headed down the pier and got on the boat."

         Turning her attention back to Bob, she replied, "I'm Joan and I guess I'm the new bartender."

         Bob laughed. "Welcome."


                                                   The End



March 20, 2023 14:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

14:20 Mar 31, 2023

I enjoyed the context of the story and tone of the writing. Sounds like heaven already too haha

Reply

John Jones
15:48 Mar 31, 2023

It was my intention to give purgatory a different look. Thank you for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
21:22 Mar 29, 2023

What an imaginative story! I like how you let us in on the reality, bit by bit.

Reply

John Jones
22:43 Mar 29, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.