0 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction

Summer still lingered in the lower altitudes but leaf peeping in the high country was about to peak. I checked into my room at the Arrabelle in Vail, Colorado. The ornate fixtures, crown molding, and crystal chandeliers testified of the luxury that can be expected from this high-end establishment.  The French doors to my balcony beckoned their guest over the threshold to the view of the slopes, the village below with details reminiscent of a Swiss Alpine setting, and alas, the rising moon began to shimmer behind the pines. I gripped the iron railing and held onto my inhalation of the crisp, mountain air. “I feel good here” experiencing a ground force wafting within me; telling me that I belong here in this moment. I feel as though I can see every single pine needle sway gently and hear every bird’s good night song. I feel connected with my surroundings yet, unbeknownst to me, the perfect serendipitous storm was about to unfold.

The genesis of this cosmic alignment was a year prior: the death of a friend from back in high school days. We gathered from all corners of the world to reunite and pay our respects in our small hometown in New York. All except Johnny, who joined us by phone since he was unable to attend. A halfhearted but well meaning, “look me up next time you are in Colorado” became a resounding phrase in my brain that I couldn’t quiet. Curiosity and a sort of internal compass, for lack of a better term, drove me to buy the ticket to Denver 11 months later.

 Besides the loss of my friend, my dad’s passing was also just a few months prior to that and so much sadness for a season was a good reason to change the scenery and take a long weekend. Innately though, I was feeling directed, almost like Dad was in this.  I practically thought he was the voice of my GPS only in my head. I had this sense that I was supposed to be doing this. An excitement welled yet balanced with an inexplainable peace. The logical side offered up a lot of “why nots” and “what have I got to lose; this is nothing more than a long weekend” rationalizations almost as if I had to convince myself to be following my spiritual compass.

Gary is another resident of the mile-high state. He lives and works in the Denver suburbs. Gary was instrumental during the funeral services in connecting Johnny with all the old gang, passing around his phone so we could all say hello. Gary loves to hike, fish and ski in the high country and it was his suggestion that we have this mini reunion in Vail as it would be a 90-minute drive for both he and Johnny to meet me there in the middle between them for dinner and drinks. During the weeks leading up to this trip, it was Gary who was active with texts, calls, and emails. He was flirtatious and frequently mentioned his recent break up with a long-term partner. I felt a strong attempt of persuasion to try to “hook up” this weekend from him. Even though I was single, I felt an indifference towards Gary in that way. It was great reconnecting with him at the funeral and all. We chatted about how we almost had one date right after graduating high school which consisted of driving around in his convertible on a hot summer night and landing in a bar parking lot with a group of friends and we each got lost in the crowd. I moved away shortly after that and hadn’t seen him since. That was 25, 26 years prior? Neither of us could remember exactly and laughed it off. He muttered it was his loss and I chuckled in agreement. Just a genuine fondness for reuniting with old friends but nothing more. I was going there now just for a long weekend trip, and it had been years since I had been to Colorado, after living there myself for 8 years; a long time since passed.

The double pocket doors spread open to the most comforting upscale bathroom I’ve ever inhabited. The marble counters and sinks with shiny brass fixtures sat atop a wide vanity with backlit mirrors and vertical cupboards on each side to place all the necessities. The giant soaking tub was beckoning but I had to settle for the several headed steam shower with multiple settings so I could be ready on time to meet the guys downstairs for dinner in an hour. Although I could have spent that entire hour in that shower fit for a King as well.

Gary arrived first. He was so upbeat I’d wondered if he’d been on something. His eyes kept darting all over the place and he could barely sit still. Nerves? I wondered. We grabbed a table, he ordered a rum and coke, I snagged a bourbon on the rocks, and Johnny texted Gary that he’s nearing the exit. Gary’s phone was beeping a lot so he excused himself and says he will meet Johnny at the entrance so he can find us in the rather large dining reception room.

I waited for about ten minutes sipping my drink, scrolling through Facebook checking into one of the most lavish establishments Vail has to offer because, you know, we got to look good on social media! Then I heard Gary’s voice from across the room. I looked up to see he was coming in with who I guess is Johnny behind him, hidden by some ornate wood carved arches and well-kept indoor foliage. I went to stand up and realized the heel of my boot had been caught on the chair leg, nearly toppling over. It grabbed my attention and looked down, unhooking my flared jean bottoms from being entangled under my left foot. When I was able to stand upright, my head naturally came up and turned in the direction of the guys entering as my hair does this miraculous flip that made John feel excited to see me; we lock eyes immediately. I found myself catching my breath. “Whoa, this guy is so incredibly good looking.” I had zero expectations of what Johnny would look like after all these years, but he turned out super fine! His chiseled facial features seemed frozen in time as he looked 20 years his junior and his green eyes were alive, sparkling almost. I later learned from him he thought the hair flip was intentional. I laughed so hard; I couldn’t have even planned it that way. The fate of a heel caught on a chair leg.

I stepped towards them as they approached and extended my arms out for the greeting, but I had no idea what was about to happen next. The moment we embraced there was an electric “buzz” if you will, or a pulse that “zapped” for lack of a better term, right in the middle of my chest, where the heart chakra sits. I “saw” a bright flash of light, like a lightning bolt in my mind’s eye, all within a few seconds. Sort of like how they show fireworks when love interests first kiss in the movies. Yeah, like that. I knew instantly that I had just met my soul mate.  

I became nervous immediately and felt I may be speaking a little too energetically, but I can’t help myself. My entire vibration just soared to the top and my mind is coaching me to settle down, be calm. I wiped my sweaty palms off my jeans before clasping my drink. The last thing I need is to be clumsy and embarrass myself.  Johnny sits to my right; Gary sits across from us. Sipping his drink, smiling at his accomplishment of making this little reunion successful, and making small talk. I tell Johnny he looks great, so great to see him and he lets out a little bit of a gasp. He’s flustered, so he did feel it too! I can tell he was moved just as I was. I read he’s trying to regather his composure. He orders a soda. No alcohol. I like that.

The three of us shared a pizza and John filled me in: he has a dog, owns a business, and has been skiing and living the dream in the high country all these years. He’s now sober, said he’s done with partying and wants to just enjoy a normal, relaxed life. After dinner we all went upstairs to my room so I could grab a jacket since we decided to take a stroll through the quaint streets and maybe listen to a little music, grab another beverage, and ponder whether we can fit in some dessert. As I pulled my coat from the closet John glanced at the balcony, bright from the moon while the night sky was torched with its glorious light as a backdrop. He then looked back at Gary and said with certainty, “I’m going to step out here for a moment with this beautiful lady and catch up with her for a few minutes while you finish your conversation with whomever it is that has dominated your evening with your erratic texting and then we can go for our stroll.” I felt immediately turned on by John’s confident display of intention and the matter-of-fact manner he let Gary know he wanted a few minutes alone with me.

The breeze felt brisk at this elevation after dark, but I didn’t care as the moonlight bounced off Johnny’s face. I was so enamored with his presence. I almost felt an angelic being was with him, or within him. Like I knew him before and more than just sharing the mutual crowd of friends and passing one another in the hall. I knew him on a soul level. We very quickly dove into the conversation of what our individual status was. I can’t remember how we approached the topic since I had been swooning in the atmosphere but found it to be no beating around the bush. After all, other than the phone call during the reception after the funeral, we haven’t spoken to one another personally since high school. Gary had been the liaison the entire time. I found myself marveling at how we never connected prior but tried to ignore my racy thoughts and stay present. I can’t remember if it was John who asked me or if I volunteered but I reveal that I’m unattached and he says the same, he had dated a few girls recently and been messaging them online “but, I’m” then simultaneously we say it out loud together: “not going to settle” and our eyes center on each other. This connection feels intense but right. The moon is beaming right on us like God’s spotlight and we’re the leads in His love story. Johnny’s face glistened, and I nearly feel as though I am breathless. I can feel him internally, like the missing puzzle piece that was just found.

At this point Gary interrupted wondering what we’re doing next, and we headed down to the village streets. Gary engrossed in a text conversation still, finally admitted that he’s still involved in some kind of tension with his recent ex and they’re apparently having a big argument which entirely distracts Gary from being present with us. We don’t seem to mind. In fact, we were more than fine with it as It felt as though we were on a date. Johnny revealed that he must head home soon. It was approaching midnight and he has his friend’s dog staying in his home. He mentioned on more than one occasion that he wished he didn’t have to leave so soon. I became quite sad. We grabbed a taxi to head back to the hotel parking for John to get his truck. It was difficult they way we were seated for me to get a proper hug.  I felt a part of me leave with him and I wondered how I could feel so sad to see him leave after only spending 5 hours with a guy I barely knew anymore.

It was good to see Gary, but I was not moved at all at having to say goodbye to him. I wished him luck with Donna and a safe journey back to Denver as I waltzed up to my palace like retreat at nearly 1 a.m. I should’ve been exhausted but I was exhilarated. I was suddenly floating and barely feel my feet on the floor. I sunk into the deep claw foot tub, bubbles spilling over onto the marble floor and I sipped on a glass of the complimentary red that came with the suite. I’m absorbing the energy….” I just met my soulmate.”  

The next morning was bittersweet. A beautiful drive down the mountainside but also knowing I’d be preparing to board a flight back home to New York was causing inner turmoil. I mean, I didn’t even have Johnny’s number. I somehow knew though, there was an unspeakable peace in my heart, this was some way, somehow going to work out. That is, if Johnny also agreed that we were indeed destined to meet that night.  Did he know? Had he experienced the same magic? He had to! The stars were definitely aligned. I kept trying to replay the event in my head to be sure I wasn’t deceiving myself. We hadn’t even kissed each other, but I knew we’d be together forever.

Unbeknownst to me, Gary had given Johnny my number for a contact before our mini reunion. The text notification revealed a message from an unknown number: Johnny! He had a great time the night before and wished me a safe flight home. I thanked him for reaching out and told him I’d say hello once I was settled from the trip.  “Please do” was the answer. Golden! I have an invitation to continue talking. I’m flying home as a new woman.

I wasn’t back but a few hours before I reached out, “Landed safely. It was great to see you again.” His reply, “it was so great to see you too, wish I was with you there now.” And cue the singing angels, thus began the 18-month long distance relationship that budded into the sale of his house, move across the country, and 7 years later we still love one another more each day; more than the day before.

May 27, 2023 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.