21 comments

General

Who are the children that never get born? Who are the ones who are born but are gone before they ever get a chance to live, to learn, to grow up and have a life? How many of us have a story to tell of a little life unlived and eternally unknown?



I am a father of three beautiful children, inquisitive, intelligent and each one their own character. I am also the father of two other children, children who for whatever reason never got the chance to be, to experience life and to share my life as their father or in the life of my wife as mother. Those two children unknown were not unnamed and yet it is only so often that I think of them and when I do I feel a pang of guilt for just how long I have somehow neglected their memory.



I remember the joy of discovering my wife and I were expecting our first child. We were only a few years married, young and madly in love. We felt ready to add to our happy family and were lucky with how quickly we fell pregnant. I still remember the cute way that my love revealed that magical announcement that we were expecting. I remember the extra joy I got from living this amazing life I was given knowing that inside my wife was a child that was ours, boy or girl it mattered little. We both already had such love for that child that we had created together. It grew and it grew and our happiness grew with it.



I remember just as clearly how my life crashed down around me as I came home one day from my menial job working as a factory labourer to discover my wife in bed distraught and in tears.

Our whole promising world plummeted with an unexpected crash. The news that nobody ever wants to hear was our burden to bear. It was nobody’s fault, no obvious rhyme or reason. Somehow, someway we had lost our baby. Our dreams of being a family of three was still a dream.



That little life we had so cleverly created together was just as suddenly gone. A feeling of utter sadness filled up both my wife and I and for a while all we could be was sad together.

It is only when you lose something so precious, so small, something that you love so much that you discover just how frightfully common such a loss is. Nobody talks about such a devastating loss as a miscarriage or still-birth. None of us believe that we are strong enough to open such a painful memory and deliver it as the simple truth it is without first knowing that those we share it with have suffered the same devastation.

Our family doctor assured us of how normal a miscarriage is, how unborn children can just stop growing, stop living. The frustrating thing still is that there could be no explanation. For some this miscarriage of life is enough to slow their own life down even to the point where it stops.



I did not shed a tear for this child, and yet what I felt at such a loss was indeed true sorrow. It must be that the tears shed by my wife were enough for the three of us.

When we were ready to try again the doctor assured us that the chance of successfully having a baby was higher now due to what had happened before. Again we were luckier than some and it was not long before again our lives were full of hope and promise. This was the greatest and most exciting part of the mystery of what together we had created, the eventual discovery of that person me and my wife had together made.



So soon after the great joy of discovering we were expecting again for us was more frustration and sadness, tears of pain. Yet another baby of ours now gone never to show its face, never to laugh or cry and never to become a part of our family. Another child left to be a mystery forever. Who would they have become? What mischief would have they come up with? Who could have been their friends had they been given the chance to be born? We would never get the chance to know.



After losing two children you wonder what will happen the next time you try. I feel for those who cannot have children but want them so badly. I feel also for those who try and try only to have the life they had created gone before they get the chance to say hello. This trying so desperately to have the joy, the pleasure, the responsibility of a little child in your life changes people. I know how I felt when we were trying so hard to become a family of three only to hear of the happiness other people were enjoying as they celebrated a baby’s birth. You feel jealousy as you wonder why it can’t be us. You feel guilty that you cannot allow these people their joy without feeling so negative yourself. Your sadness deepens as their joy at such a wonderful gift coming into their lives grows.



Our third time trying for a little baby to join our loving family was a miraculous success. After months of worrying, wondering when this child would cease to be I was deliriously happy to witness the birth of our baby boy. All the pain, all the sadness, all the tears unshed suddenly vanished away as I held our little boy in my arms.

Since that special day we have had two more children, two precious, marvellous, amazing little girls. Our family feels complete and whole. I always try to remember and never again forget though those two lives that will never be. If I wonder enough maybe one day my tears will come. I will always remember the ones who were to come but never did. They are our children lost but never forgotten.

June 02, 2020 12:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Swagata Brahma
09:34 Jun 22, 2020

Absolutely loved reading it Tim.

Reply

Tim Law
02:56 Jun 23, 2020

Thanks so much Swagata. So glad to hear that. Please have a read of some of my other stories too if you can. I would like to know what you think of them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Betsy Peacock
04:01 Jun 20, 2020

This touched my heart. We lost our second child, a daughter mid pregnancy due to fetal abnormalities. We went on to have two more healthy children. We feel very blessed. Best wishes.

Reply

Tim Law
22:50 Jun 20, 2020

Thank you Bea. As writers I believe we have a great opportunity to share our own vulnerabilities to allow others to share theirs also. Enabling readers to recall memories (happy, sad and all) is a powerful effect and I am so glad my writing has done this for you and others. Deeply sorry for our losses and yours but so happy for the beautiful miracles that followed after. It truly is a challenge to wonder what could have been...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Praveen Jagwani
08:10 Jun 11, 2020

Hi Tim, I was directed her by the Critique Circle. I like your story. Its poignant and tender. It is a difficult subject and you treat it well. The absence of dialogue makes it heavy reading and there is an element of repetition of thoughts/feelings which could be edited away. Otherwise the story risks becoming an essay. The protagonist may well be a deeply sentimental individual but the premise that his pain is somehow greater than the mother's is fragile. Perhaps some of this story would have been better told from the mother's perspective,...

Reply

Tim Law
09:34 Jun 12, 2020

Thanks for the advice Praveen. I think that is a great idea to share what my wife was thinking and feeling too. It is still a tough subject to bring up and discuss. Conversation would definitely make this a stronger story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Verda H
11:14 Jun 10, 2020

Sentimental and lovely

Reply

Tim Law
23:47 Jun 10, 2020

Many thanks Verda. Is there any way I could improve this story do you think?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Buckell
12:24 Jun 06, 2020

Beautifully written. I know that pain....

Reply

Tim Law
00:15 Jun 07, 2020

Thanks so much Martin. When we open up and talk about these losses we discover just how often it happens and how many people are affected.

Reply

Martin Buckell
19:52 Jun 09, 2020

So true, It’s a small comfort realising your not alone. I wonder if you can give my last 2 stories a read?

Reply

Tim Law
23:48 Jun 10, 2020

I would be more than happy to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vrishni Maharaj
11:29 Jun 04, 2020

Awesome story! Very emotional:)

Reply

Tim Law
00:16 Jun 07, 2020

Thanks so much. It was tough to write but I’m so glad I did.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Agnes Ajadi
21:00 Jun 02, 2020

So emotional. It's a good story though. I really love it.

Reply

Tim Law
12:26 Jun 03, 2020

Thank you Agnes for reading my story. Happy you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
14:49 Jun 02, 2020

What an emotional story! I loved this one. A very sad story about loss. Great! Please review my stories too!

Reply

Tim Law
23:06 Jun 05, 2020

Thanks Pragya. So glad you read my story. Please check out my others too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:37 Jun 02, 2020

This was an amazing story, Tim! I feel like you did great with show-not-tell for all of the feeling that the father (you?) had felt. There are a couple of grammatical errors where you should add a comma. This story was heart-felt, and I would love to read more! Keep writing and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Tim Law
12:28 Jun 03, 2020

Thanks Brooke, such a tough story to write but I'm glad I shared it. You stay safe too.

Reply

13:18 Jun 03, 2020

You're welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.