An Auburn Treasure

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

0 comments

General

A girl with lovely red hair stares out an open window, wind blowing her luscious curls behind her. Although the strands looked gorgeous from the perspective of a viewer, she thought of them as a curse. Everytime she looked in the mirror, there it was, a fierce batch of hair that compared to the fire ablaze under the chimney or the magnificent roses hidden in the garden.

Maybe it was that the silky material upon her head differed from the rest, her father had mysterious black locks and she had never gotten the chance to see her mother’s, but she could only hope it looked like hers. 

All of her friends had hair unlike hers- brown, black, or blonde. And, her very blue eyes didn’t help her solve this hated originality. She closes the window and walks over to her dresser, where hair ties are messily displayed on the surface. She grabs one and pulls her hair up with it, delicately folding it through the band to achieve a simple ponytail.

She leaves the concealment of her bedroom to go to the door of the house, where she then exits to go to her car. She drives off to the Golden Gate Bridge that is decorated with rusting metal the color of her wretched hair, in which she thought. Once she arrives, she parks on one side of the bridge with a landscape of tall rocks fitted together to create the perfect viewing point. No one is at the spot, her spot, because of its divine secrecy and invisible potential. From an indirect point of view, the rocks look like an unstable tower where someone may go if they have a death wish. But, only she knew the beautiful scene it held for only those willing to find it.

At the top, she got an overview of the bridge and the many cars driving on its surface. It was a beautiful image with a perfect blue sky behind it. She sat down with her legs dangling over the edge, enjoying the presence of simple beauty. 

Minutes go by until the view becomes slightly boring, with a remaining beautiful aspect but a sense of tiredness within. As in, she was getting annoyed by the silent surroundings, which she always did. So, she left to meet with her friends at the coffee shop and fulfill her regular Sunday routine. 

She drives over the bridge to get to her destination and looks around at the crystal water she was all so familiar to. The blue matched her eyes, and she felt a connection to the similar liquid. When she arrived at the small cafe, she went inside and was immediately met with the normal casual ambience. 

An instrumental playlist full of motivational music streamed throughout the room, and her friends tapped their feet to the beat in the corner. They smile when they notice her at the door and notion for her to come over to their table. 

She strides over to the table in a relaxed tone, smiling back and taking a seat next to her blonde friend who has deep brown eyes. “Hey Diane,” says the friend. She replies back with the simplest of greetings and then orders a coffee to the waitress passing by. The friends share small banter as the time continues, but the clock seems to stop for Diane when a tall, brown-haired boy walks into the cafe.

He has a well trimmed face and attractive eyebrows that stand out among his muscular figure. His eyes are green voids of depth, and she instantly falls into them, addicted to the pretty shade. 

Her romantic feelings are immediately flushed away when those green eyes meet her blue ones. She looks away with red cheeks, but looks back in a curious and excited manner. His glare doesn’t falter, and he smiles at her embarrassment. 

If only she could see inside his head, her views of herself would change drastically. He admired her difference among the rest of her group, and found her combination of red hair, blue eyes, and numerous freckles gorgeous.

He walks over to their table, nearing her seat, craving to talk to her and to hear the sound of her voice. Her cheeks gleam red when he stands over her nervous figure with large green eyes that made her heart ease. 

“Hello,” the mystery man said in a calm manner. She nodded back with a lack of words to reply with. “I saw that your eyes so gracefully found mine earlier,” he smirks as her friends giggle in their own immature way. 

She opens her mouth to talk, but her stubborn tongue won’t communicate with the brunette. “I can go, if you want,” he says, and she frowns. “No,” she manages to say. “I would love to talk to you more.”

He walks away from the table, which confused the red-head, wondering if he was uninterested. But, she was completely wrong. He sat at a two-seated stable, folding his hands as he waited for her to arrive. Diane was completely dazed. She always wondered how two lovers meet in the beginning of a wonderful relationship, but now it felt unreal. She walked over to him and sat across from his seat. 

“Hi,” she mumbles only loud enough for him to hear. “Hey,” he says back with a smile. “I’m Ryan.” She smiles at the sound of his name, a wonderful word to call someone with an easy flow in tone. “I am Diane,” she says, holding her hand out for him to shake. He does with a laugh and brings his eyes up to meet hers. They hold a loving eye contact and with each second a new feeling comes to both of their hearts.

“You have a magnificent shade of hair,” he acknowledges, and she tilts her head to the side with a confused manner. “Really?” she questions his unbelievable comment. “Yes, I hate to be forward, but you are completely, utterly, beautiful.” She blushes while her mind is exploded with undeniable thoughts of love and appreciation. It felt rewarding to be praised by someone who caused her butterflies, especially about her appearance. 

“You are not so bad yourself,” she smirks. They continue their adorable chatter, asking questions and getting to know each other. Their social relationship kept expanding by the minute, and her friends were fascinated by the creeping feeling of instant love which filled the room.

As they share laughs, love, and information about each other, questions kept flying back and forth between the two lovestruck humans.

“Well, it was really nice to meet you,” Diane concludes. The finale of the two’s chemistry was depressing and the connection seemed to not want to break between each other. You could see it on Ryan’s face, the want to stay with the beautiful auburn-haired girl. Well, if they were going to separate, they must stay together somehow. 

“Hey, can I get your number?”


May 23, 2020 03:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.