Fútbol and other, more important things

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who returns home changed by someone they met on a trip.... view prompt

6 comments

Contemporary Friendship

I guess the sudden love for soccer was the first surprise.

My brother had never been much of a sports person before his mission trip to Ethiopia, besides the occasional hockey game we went to, or the shot put and discus he did at school. None of our family really was, of course. At that time, I spent the majority of my time in my bedroom, writing, reading, drawing, or simply messing around. My headphones always accompanied me when I did these things. And I always had a song stuck in my head.

The trip was also before he joined marching band, which he joined about a month later, and was the closest thing to a sport he did that summer. This was probably for the best. Marching band, from what I could infer at the age of eleven, closely resembled the military. Which meant no breaks, a few heat strokes, and very strict rules. 

If my brother had been in marching band earlier that summer, the trip would not have happened. He would have surely missed too many practices.

Either way, I was confused when he had the sudden urge to name our new-born rabbits after soccer players. Besides Gus and Lassie (Who were mostly called Gassie, considering we could never tell them apart) the tiny rodents were dubbed things such as Messie, Neymar Jr., or Ronaldo. 

Furthermore, my parents were somehow convinced to buy Peacock, the cheapest television app from which we could watch soccer, which was gradually becoming fútbol in our household. Of course, Ma and Daddy probably saw this as a chance to make my brother practice his Spanish. I, for one, could not understand a word the commentators said, although I was also bilingual. They were speaking far too fast.

For Thanksgiving (And yes, I realize that this is generally not a gift-giving holiday), a few months later, my parents bought him a soccer ball. This was the alternative to kicking around a basketball. The only problem- he began to use the garage doors as goals. From the outside, round dirt imprints marked them. From the inside, the foam was beginning to tear and come off. 

No one ever really successfully put a stop to it.

I thought this would be just another faze. Like my brother's odd tendency to say “SQUAWK” very loudly when anything even mildly surprising happened from a few years ago (Middle schoolers do strange things sometimes, alright?), this would soon die away.

If only.

A year later, the fútbol obsession was still going strong. He now played Fifa 23 for at least an hour a day, EVERY DAY. The situation would have been no different if he had gotten a girlfriend. Sadly, the household rule “No dating until the age of 18” did not seem to apply to video games. 

And at this point, I couldn’t help but learn a bit about fútbol, as well. And, I admit, it was nice to see my brother enjoy himself so fully, really get invested into it. And his urge to teach the whole family about the sport meant I could more easily converse with the sibling who usually had nothing to talk about with me, his little sister. We had few things in common, really. Our faces looked surprisingly similar, even though my hair was a golden dirty blond, and his was nearly black. But I, as formerly mentioned, spent a lot of time reading and listening to music. He liked video games. I liked to bake, he spent more time outside. I was messy and disorganized, his room was always mostly clean. Writing was my passion, and it was never really his thing.

So when he taught things to me, I felt like we could both actually get something out of it. 

Of course, being 15-ish, he was a fairly impatient teacher. And I was an impatient student. Soccer, like many things he talked about, confused me greatly, and we would sometimes even get into arguments about it. 

But those short conversations made us a little more comfortable around each other. Enough so that, when he asked how my day was, I knew he didn’t just want a favor from me, or something. 

That was another thing that that trip changed about my older brother. He seemed miraculously… nicer.

He seemed more willing to talk with me, like I said. But there was just something about how he acted now… he seemed changed.

I remember a little potluck we held at church one day. It was a small event for the group that went to Ethiopia, to share their experiences. My brother and my best friend’s older sister had been in charge of the games at the VBS they had held there. My friend’s older sister shared a short memory of how they had used long poles to shake the water off the tents from the inside. It was interesting, though she didn’t elaborate much.

When the microphone reached my brother, he took it. He wasn’t nervous at all, it seemed, which amazed me. My hands always would shake when I had to speak in front of over twenty people, and I often fumbled over my words. My brother, on the other hand, took public speaking into his stride. His voice suggested that he was at ease. The church, of course, was our family, and we had both gone there for nearly our whole lives. Still, the idea of talking into a microphone to all of them, at once, on a stage…

Let’s just say I would not act like it was a simple conversation.

My friend’s sister seemed to feel the same way. I could see it in the way she awkwardly held the microphone, the way her eyes roamed the big room. But my brother, he opened his mouth, started talking into that little piece of technology. And though, as his sister, I could never admit it to him, I felt a surge of pride. For my brother. Who had the tendency of surprise attacking me when I was in second grade. 

That brother.

He started talking about missing camp. I never thought about that before. I myself had gone to camp while he and my dad went to Ethiopia on their mission trip, which turned out to be a horrible experience. (For reasons I would rather not disclose.) I hadn’t realized my brother had been supposed to go, as well. 

He said “You know, all camps say that one week will be an ‘experience to change your life.’ But I think that this trip to Ethiopia has really changed my life, in a way some camp never could. I don’t at all regret missing it.”

Yeah. That was pretty nicely done.

And it was true. My brother had changed. Along with fútbol, I think he had developed other, deeper connections with people in Ethiopia. Not just the kids at the VBS, though they all adored him, (and his hair,) but also the guys they worked with there. He had made real friends. To be honest, I think it might have been a little like camp for him. Like how you can’t really avoid becoming friends with the kids in your cabin, my brother couldn’t help forming ties with the Ethiopians. 

He turned 15 in Ethiopia, too. They told me that they sang to him in three different languages- English, Spanish, and, of course, the language they spoke in the region they went to. 

These people-they didn’t have a lot. But from what I heard, they were crazy hospitable. 

And I think that changed my brother. The people he met there made him a better person, and I think he will carry that trip, those people, with him forever.


May 20, 2023 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Michelle Oliver
23:56 May 20, 2023

Hi Olive, thanks for sharing this story. I liked the premise of this one, the build up of the brother and the contrast with the narrator. A few things had me a little confused, though. The band and the trip to Ethiopia. I couldn’t work out the connection there, did he have to give up band? Did the band go to Ethiopia? Did the soccer team go? I was a bit lost. It’s not until further on that we read it was a mission trip… so what happened to soccer? I would love to hear more about his experiences in Ethiopia that changed him. Did he play socc...

Reply

Olive Silirus
01:22 May 21, 2023

Thank you so much for the feedback! I admit, I'm a rookie when it comes to writing, and even I could see the Marching band thing was pretty confusing, but I couldn't really figure out how to fix it. I was just trying to show that the soccer obsession was a sudden contrast to what we were used to with my brother-that is, nothing much athletic. (Because marching band requires a lot of physical exertion.) I was also trying to fit in that he could have never managed to go on a one week trip with marching band in his schedule, since they were so...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:39 May 21, 2023

Ahh, things are clearer. I think the issue with the story is that it was not clear that the obsession with soccer can after Ethiopia. Perhaps second line could begin with some ‘time line’ clarification like… Before the mission trip to Ethiopia, my brother wasn’t… Did the marching band happen before or after the trip? Was it a result of his trip too? I really would like you to add something which clarifies the experiences on his trip changed him, that the changes you described are a direct result of the trip, because at the moment it’s a lit...

Reply

Olive Silirus
19:05 May 21, 2023

I really do appreciate the criticism. I try to remain humble when I put these stories out in the open for anyone to comment on. I updated it a bit, which I hope makes it easier to understand. Your comments are helping me out a lot. This is a bit of a memoir, so there are some bits of my story that I can't really work around, since they're solid fact. This makes it a bit harder to modify than if I could just change the plot line. But, really, thank you for your feedback.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:37 May 21, 2023

That helps to clarify. I would remove the parentheses though in the band paragraph. Perhaps this would flow better… The second surprise occurred about a month later when he joined marching band. This was the closest thing to a sport he did that summer, which was, of course, for the best. This pulls us back to the surprising changes that your brother went through and how you observed them. I think writing an autobiographical account of childhood is tricky. There is an art in knowing what to leave in and what to leave out. When you write a...

Reply

Olive Silirus
22:49 May 21, 2023

I, again, appreciate what you're saying, but the marching band thing really wasn't a consequence of the trip to Ethiopia. It was kind of a peer pressure situation. And, yes, the parentheses should probably disappear. I'll read that story of yours - maybe it could help me with making mine better. Also, I just published a new story to my profile. I would love your feedback on that one as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.