Do you remember?

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Garth rose after the cock’s first crow. It was still early, but her mum was already preparing to do paid labour in the nearby farm. Having dressed up in his tattered shirt, which he did not mind wearing, with the black trouser he was ready for school. It was cold outside, he could not wear the sweater; his small siblings - who were still asleep were using it as a blanket. Silence reigned through the house except for the rats that had made their house a habitat. He rose to open the door only for it to fall apart, the hinges which were made of a tyre had given in to the heavyweight of the wooden door. His mother grin look on face meant a mistake, but it was involuntary of his doing. He tried to put the door back together, but his mother dismissed his efforts and told him to first get to school. Unless he wanted to exhaust the remaining reserve of energy he did not run like his neighbour and school mate Darren. His fast pacing of footsteps saw him arrive earlier than those who were enjoying the luxury of having a school bus pick them from their homes. It was no normal day; it was sports day at the same time it was the national music festival for secondary and high schools. Some of his school mates were rehearsing on the fields and the others were busy tuning their voices behind short bushes and inside classrooms. His basketball coach waved to him to walk up to the court. He rushed up to meet him. 

The coach handed him the school basketball jersey and ushered him to get dressed. His strength to hold up to the rigorous training was almost hitting zero chance. He got dressed up, basketball was not only his passion but his dream too. He came back, and the coach served to his surprise breakfast. Most of the teammates had not arrived and the few present allowed him enjoy the black tea with bread to his satisfaction. When they all had finished it was, then the bus arrived and come to a halt near the basketball court. His eyesight was unshaken from the first student who had alighted, it was Melissa his love and his girlfriend except for his competitor Darren who had made it hard for him to have her as per his wishes. He loved her curves of softness, the salonist had styled her Kohl black in a ponytail. Her average height and brown skin were some features that drove not only him but also most students crazy. The most beautiful girl in the school was her, which made her a precious asset to have. She was the lady of desire to both genders but only three people stood her attention; Darren, Garth and Eunice. Each of the three had exceptional abilities and making it considerable Darren and Garth, were the stars of school with each of them shining bright in a specific field. 


Darren, for instance, was the best artist the school ever produced. Whenever he sang at the school hall, the entire audience moved in a lullaby. His creative songs and deep voice were keeping the ladies on the front seats and the guys on the back seats rumbling. Not only had he succeeded to keep the school on top of every national music festival, but also had created an impact on everyone’s expectations. He also doubled up as a drawing artist. His art of bringing images to life was a brilliance that kept him on the top priority list of Melissa. On Biology lessons, they used his drawings as an illustrative to tell the other students how good their drawings should be. 

The basketball match was about to start, Melissa and Eunice together with a major part of the school gathered around the basketball court to rally support for their school. The coach was in high expectations of glory with a major part of his confidence cast on the ability of Garth to dribble and make great 3 pointers. However, he did not put Garth on the starting lineup instead he got sidelined for a substitution.


Garth was soft-spoken and often not offended. He sat relaxed on the bench to watch the game. With ease he spotted Melissa who waved to him. On the other end, Darren was standing. It was surprising he sat among the opponent’s fans. The first quarter of the match the team thrived and for a moment one could have commented that the team was even better off without Garth. The second and third quarter his school team victory got thrashed and was on the verge of losing. Most of the audience had chief hopes considering Garth had not still got into the court. The fourth quarter the coach substituted in Garth, he had sidelined him because of a thigh injury. The entire crowd went silent as he stepped in the pitch before they went jubilant shouting “Garth! Garth! Finish them.” In no moment he had turned the scoring sheet to almost equal. The opponents were losing, but they had valuable information - that Garth had an injury on his his left thigh.


The music festival at the hall had started and Darren’s performance was the one to start the festival. Darren who had over-excitement when his school was losing had taken a lot of lollipops. At the backstage he felt his voice was almost disappearing. He could not utter some words as it seemed like a whisper.


Back at the basketball court, Garth dribbled past two players before scoring a significant 3 pointer to equalise the school’s team score with the opponents. A spectator ran from the crowd hitting him on his left thigh with a plank. He fell. He tried to get up but realized how futile it was, he bit his lower lip from yelling out, every hope of the school winning seemed thrashed again. Melissa stood and came to where Garth was

“You can do it, rise and show them”

“No! I can’t, it hurts a lot, Melissa”

“Then do it for me, dear”

The word dear seemed to convince his instincts but then the pain outweighed the urge to rise again. The school nurse came to help fix the situation but the painkillers were not working well enough


At the hall, the audience clapped as Darren stepped to the pulpit. He hardened his nerves to produce the loudest voice that his lungs could facilitate. It was hard for the judges to notice the hitches in his voice as the audience was jubilant. To control the audience proved futile to those who tried. Luckily for him, he finished his performance and for sure it was apparent to his opponents he had already seized the day. 


He needed to bring glory to school, in turn, the school could offer to pay his fees and provide him with little money which could help his siblings at least have a blanket. He could win Melissa’s heart this time if he could rise and get to back to the court. The match had already resumed and his team was defending in hope of his recovery to the pitch. The couch was risking having his time one less player but he knew Garth could get back. 


Garth spotted Darren this time he was laughing at him he could feel he was the one behind it all. He staggered to stand but his thigh was hurting a lot. Melissa clapped for him as he stepped to the court again. The spectators went on to shout again “Garth! Garth! You can do it.” this time in unison. They passed him the ball but he could hardly dribble with the opponents more than willing to bring down. The opponents scored a one penalty kick, with only one minute away from glory they knew they hard it. Garth received a perfect pass, he was three steps from the D box. He yelled and thrust the ball towards the net for a 3 pointer. He fell to the ground as the ball made its way through the air. The match was only three seconds away from ending. The commentators who all along were not doing a good commentary went on to say “A hero is born and legends are made. Can you believe it? On the nick of time, Garth has it for them” the balled dropped in the net and it was a stunning 3 pointer. The spectators went wild and ran to the court they carried Garth on their shoulders as they celebrated a win that had their tears rolling down the cheeks. 


Darren walked back to the hall to get to listen to other performances in annoyance. After the celebration that took most of the day. Garth got back home having taken his medication. Her mother was in tears as she saw him walk through the doorway. She ushered him in and told him to sit. She then informed him about the death of his sister who was the firstborn of the family of four. Garth walked out of the house and wept bitterly for her sister. Her sister was a sex worker and was supporting the family by paying for the siblings school fees. She had passed on, after the devastating AIDS caught up with her. 


It was his last year in high school and he was just two months from doing his last exams. The family had no funds to bring her sister’s body from the city to bury her home. Land to bury her was also not there, it had been all used up when they buried their father. He rose and went back to the house. After fixing the door he went to sleep because his thigh was still hurting and he did not want her mother to know he had an injury. The injury arose when they fought with Darren over Melissa.

Garth was not only the best basketball player but also a clever student in class. Melissa made her intentions clear to everybody that she was in love with Garth. Love remained forbidden in the school, but she was fond of him either laughing together or being romantic to him.


They revised together for the national exam and when the time came; she had no scapegoat to fail. Darren had no chance to even stand beside Melissa. The only chance you miss is the one you don’t take.


On a certain day Darren presented her a painting that had taken him one month to complete. Melissa did not accept the painting despite how good it was, she caught it and cut it into many pieces and threw it to his face.

“Melissa why did you ruin the painting.”

“I thought you knew how much resentment I fell when you stand on my path.”

“I don’t deserve this, Melissa. Why are you doing this to me?”

“So you don’t pray? The answers are in your prayer.”

“It’s okay I let you go but just know you will either regret or ask for forgiveness for what you have done today. You will remember it in tears.” 

She pushed him off and matched to her residence.


Darren felt abused and disrespected. He had to do something urgent to make his words into action. He had no money to record a single song, but he started writing fresh ones in hope of one day making his talent heard in the actual world. Bit by bit he was reconstructing his natural ability, which he had opted to leave when he finished school. He recalled Melissa’s words and went down to pray. After one month he landed a music deal with a not so known music house. His prime interest was to sing and try to make a living from it.


After three months, the national exam results were out. Garth was the leading student in the entire school and he came tenth in the nationwide ranking. Melissa became the third student in the school her white teeth could hardly hide her high emotions. Garth had helped her. Eunice and Darren had failed to the point, Eunice went into hiding - in fear of her mother to force her into depression. They almost came last in the entire school performance.

****

Melissa had been in love with Garth for the last six months, she felt she had enough of him. Garth was not making any progress out of poverty, his hope was still based on education. She decided to give him a cold shoulder. She wanted to get a new boyfriend who had money to meet her demands and class. She had everything any man could desire; she asked herself why am I not getting everything? She did not want to end up beautiful, but unlucky.

Eunice reunited with Melissa after a long while. She informed her how great Darren had become. She played for her one of his hit songs - she had already heard the song but did not know the artist. She did not hesitate to comment Darren was the man of his dreams. Eunice, however, discouraged her of dumping Garth, but she was not willing to listen to her. Garth came visiting that day, but he told him without refraining any word she wanted him out of her life and sight.


That night Darren was performing in the local club. Melissa dressed in the black jeans which created a good impression of her curves and a casual blue jacket. She then matched to the club to meet him. She did not drink much as she was watchful to pounce on Darren at the right moment. After the performance, she went ahead to approach him. She could see from the movement of his eyes he admired her in his mind. However, Darren went on to ask.

“Do you remember?” she instantly recalled the painting. She wept and confessed for forgiveness. He forgave her. She was happy and followed him to his residence.


Weeks later, she weighed on the differences between Garth and Darren. She realized Darren was a bit rich, he could offer her the desires for materials she dreamed of. On the contrary, she was not getting happiness and respect that Garth had always given her. A battle between the priceless things and the priced ones. She sat back and felt how hollow her heart was, she grabbed a glass of tequila, that was her way to do away with stress.


A few years later, Darren approached her

“I gave you a chance because you made me work hard to get where I am. I guess you are lucky you always make people work hard. Do you remember?

“I already apologized Darren or you want...”

He interrupted her and went on

“I’ll help you recall don’t mind.” 

He handed her a card that indicated he was having an interview with the famous Men’s Magazine - Whirl (it belonged to Garth). Her senses were not striking to any clue nor sensing anything.

“So what’s this I don’t understand, or you want me to attend your interview?”

Darren took his phone and made a phone call. Five minutes later, Garth opened the door and came in. They were all sat in his TV room, he introduced him; Garth. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks.

Darren went to ask again

“Do you remember?”

May 19, 2020 14:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Laurentz Baker
00:42 May 26, 2020

A well-crafted story of family, friendship, and dreams Erick. Shows what happens when an individual like Garth believes in himself and perseveres. He realizes his dreams.

Reply

Erick Mokamba
21:43 Sep 02, 2020

You just summarized the whole story, Thanks for your comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.