10 comments

Crime Drama Contemporary

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The site was serene. A field of bright green fescue, corralled by stately white and red oak trees, waved in ripples, like spectators at a large live music event. The late summer evening sun jabbed daggers through the forest canopy, slicing away the minutes as the gentle breeze pushed sparrows from their perches, seeking their nightly roost. One sparrow looked down at the newly dug hole, just past the edge of the pasture, concealed in the wood line. What a fine addition our new resident will make.


To call it an addition was a bit of a stretch. It was more like a subtraction. The edge of the hole was broken, like its creator. Crumbles of tan soil and ochre clumps rolled gleefully to its depths as the sharp metal edge of the shovel struck forcefully, again, and again, and again. The sound became a melancholy chant, an ode to what had been accomplished.


Then the digging tool was laid down, a stained brown leather glove wrapped around its weathered and polished wooden handle. It was used to this treatment, its master donated some splashed beads of sweat to its open pores. Such is the lot of useful things, needed then not. Thrown recklessly into truck beds, never bathed or oiled, serving silently. Oh, the silence! It was being overtaken by the hordes of hungry insects. Grinding and gnashing mandibles were aching for a bite. Yet, they must wait.


Oh, the barriers we create! Sometimes they need to be hacked down, chopped to bits, like walls hiding something, concealing the truth. Some truths should never be uncovered, lest they rupture the fabric of the lives of all involved. Down in the bottom of the pit, man-made barriers wound in circles, wrapped like a gift. Slightly opaque, one could still discern its contents. It is now we go back in time, back to when this infested wound of vitriol gave birth to revenge.


The faded black Chevrolet sat at an odd angle, its engine now cold from rest. There were short skid marks in the gravel behind each tire. Middle-aged sedans like it never drew much attention. Just over the hill, down the gravel road that ended in a sturdy steel gate with a no trespassing sign, it wasn't visible from the hard road. The large trunk lid was open like a grotesque mouth, yawning in boredom, waiting to be fed again. Smears of fluid streaked the bumper.


The blacktop two-lane stretched back through the foothills, weaving like a swimming pit viper. On it stretched, near the lake, ignoring the brilliant blue waves reflecting the setting sun in flashes like sparkles from gemstones. Occasional dips and rivets in the scales of the serpentine ribbon of concrete betrayed a blighted area of the rural sleepy portion of the Midwestern United States. The road snaked, winding around clapboard shotgun bungalows that had not seen a paintbrush in years. Their weathered roof lines were married nicely with rusted-out pickup trucks, sporting peeling flag stickers, sitting with almost empty gas tanks in the driveways.


The town was awake that day, not lulled to sleep by the chugging of giant diesel motors pounding the interstate with commerce. Loaded train cars boomed and creaked, pulling 30,000 tons of sulphur-heavy coal, the steel wheels of the locomotive spun out, spitting sparks onto the dangerously desiccated grass that summer's heat had dried like tinder. Cars waited at the gates of the tracks, their occupants idly spinning the dial on their radios, fidgety remnants of a bygone era, now gradually becoming obsolete.


SHUUUUMP! SHUMP! The engine belched two giant plumes of black smoke into the afternoon air.


A tired, empty house sat off by itself. Lonely and sad at the dead end of a street, its door was an odd blue color, its exterior modest yet well maintained. The aluminum siding was a dingy khaki color, dotted with spider webs, of which a few had captured the first dried brown and yellow leaves of fall. A Siamese cat gently curled up on the stone entryway steps, wanting to snooze in the gentle breeze. The backyard was surrounded by a tall wooden privacy fence, its boards weathered and battered like its owner.


The yard was empty save a rusted charcoal grill, a lawn chair, and a tool shed, locked tight. Whoever lived there did not want their neighbors to see them sear raw flesh with flames, or anything else. The grass was neatly cropped and unblemished save a smattering of rusty splatters, crusted on innocent blades of grass.


The two stared eye to eye. Quivering faces were locked in a deadly stalemate, and the time for debate was over. One was lured. One was cunning. Vacant stares betrayed the ocean of bad blood between them. Was it the derisive laugh? Was it the neverending insults? Neither one was sure of anything. Injured animals are the most dangerous. One, the wounded child, had carried the heavy weight of incestual sexual abuse all the way into their adult life. Like an albatross rotting off their neck, its fetid smell was a constant reminder of the evil they endured.


It was the implement again, pounding viciously, a staccato thudding of metal cutting meat. A foot-long survival knife is no toy. The damage is immediate and permanent. The other's look was frozen. Eyes were peeled open, mouth hanging wide. It was not the look of surprise, no, something much more satisfying. The arms were angled up as if trying to block the view of some hideous monster. Toes were pointed up, feet rocking back on heels. Their torso was erect, and the shirt pulled up from the violent recoil. Yes! The look! They savored the mental picture with both hands wrapped around the handle of the knife. A memory would suffice. Blazing like a torch, the image would be burned into their mind's eye.


***


They tapped an ash off a cigarette. It shattered on the plastic at the bottom of the hole. Blowing smoke out of their nostrils like a dragon, they pulled another drag off the smoke and smiled. Wiping sweat off with a shirt sleeve, they dropped stuff into the hole and stopped. They had covered it. The plastic was lightly wrapped, so they could still see it. Reaching for the handle, they were tempted to move it. There was just enough trailing sunlight for one last glance. Oh the memory, oh the silence, oh the look, oh the revenge!





September 17, 2023 00:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Lily Finch
23:45 Sep 18, 2023

Kevin, this piece was well done. Great job on keeping the reader interested and engaged, The ending was so cool. I liked it. LF6

Reply

Kevin Marlow
00:15 Sep 19, 2023

Thank you. The idea hit me to start with an open ending and finish with the deed, only describing the setting and not what actually happened.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:52 Jan 29, 2024

I enjoyed this read. Thank you.

Reply

Kevin Marlow
12:29 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Jerdé
01:37 Oct 30, 2023

Kevin, your talent for using descriptive detail is so good. I enjoyed reading the your story. It’s quite a teaser. Thank you for liking Lemonade, Witchcraft, and Mr. Jones.

Reply

Kevin Marlow
21:10 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks for reading! Reedsy is great for exploring different story-telling techniques. I always enjoy reading others and getting feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dragon The Poet
15:56 Sep 27, 2023

I love how detailed you made the imagery!! Great story!

Reply

Kevin Marlow
16:09 Sep 27, 2023

Thanks. I would like to credit Ray Bradbury for inspiration. I read one of his short stories recently. It made me realize a metaphor can be a paragraph, instead of a single word or sentence.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dena Linn
17:23 Sep 23, 2023

Oh the way that you describe the various scene just takes me away.... but alas as wonderful as all the descriptions carry me away, I had issue finding the hook, the story or the protagonist. Masterfully written your use of words is wonderful

Reply

Kevin Marlow
18:59 Sep 23, 2023

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure if it would work. I just had the idea of trying to tell a story backward through descriptions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.