2 comments

Fiction Drama Inspirational

Kara had spent the last 10 years living in a rut, and she was sick of it. Her days were monotonous; she would wake up at six, go to work at her dead-end job as a customer service representative, come home exhausted, watch TV until midnight, and start all over again the next day.

She felt unfulfilled, bored, and stuck. She used to have dreams and aspirations, but now they seemed like far-off fantasies that would never come to fruition. Kara knew that she needed to make a change or risk losing herself completely.

It was a Friday night, and Kara sat alone on her couch scrolling through social media when she came across an old friend’s post. The post was about a new startup company that promised to revolutionize the world with its innovative product. The idea intrigued her, and before she knew it, she found herself browsing their website for more information.

The company was called “Fresh Start,” and it focused on helping people reinvent themselves. They offered coaching services, retreats, and workshops designed to help people tap into their potential and create the life they always dreamed of. Kara couldn’t stop reading about their mission, and without hesitation, she submitted an application to join their program.

Within a week, Kara received an acceptance email from Fresh Start, confirming her spot in their three-month intensive coaching program.

The first month did not prove easy for Kara. The program demanded that she acknowledge her past mistakes and analyze what led her to fall into such a ditch in the first place. It was harsh, and she resisted diving deep into her own emotions.

But as the sessions progressed and she opened up to her coach, Kara began to see patterns in her life that she’d been ignoring. Patterns of settling for mediocrity instead of pursuing meaningful growth. She had missed so many opportunities because she never thought they belonged to someone who lived her kind of life.

Kara began to look at the world differently. She saw hope and new potential in her old job. She started showing up earlier, using her spare time at work to perfect her customer-service skills, reading more, and learning about areas she was not familiar with. Her colleagues took note of her renewed enthusiasm and they connected like never before.

In week five, Kara found herself enjoying her morning walks around her neighborhood more than ever before. Everything from the colors of the houses lining the streets to accidentally bumping into a stranger and striking unexpected conversations filled her days. Rekindling this sense of general cheer recharged her.

During one of these mornings, Kara met Rob, who recently moved into the house next door. He inquired why he had never seen her there before despite them being neighbors for years. Kara’s response: “I’ve been hiding,” was met with laughter in surprise, but also a recognition that both were guilty of neglecting what was right under their noses as means of inspiration or adventure.

Rob shared many interests relatable to Kara, such as literature, travel, and photography. They could talk for hours without realizing the sun was setting. It was so unlike anything she had experienced since her twenties. Yes, something was stirring within her soul, something long-forgotten, something previously abandoned.

She realized that the words spoken by her Fresh Start coach months ago had finally sunk in; life is meant to be explored and appreciated. And exploring could come in different forms and shapes.

Soon enough, early-morning walks turned into movie nights and coffee dates, which blossomed naturally into romantic escapades. One night they went stargazing late after everyone else had gone to bed. Lying on the hood of his car, Kara looked up at the stars, holding hands with Rob, completely content at the moment. Gone were the bleary-eyed and constant punching-each-dollar-clock ways back then when that was all that mattered.

But happiness in its truest form is hard to last, which proved even worse when Rob realized he needed to move out of the area for work. He would have to leave in a week, and Kara didn’t know what to do or how to react.

Their love had given her life again and it seemed cruel for that flicker of hope suddenly to die out. But instead of allowing floods of self-pity to take over as it might have done a few months back, something else stirred in her head — an unyielding bonus from being part of Fresh Start. She knew she could not go down that dark path yet again if embracing uncertain doors like this ever arose once more.

She thought long about what she wanted from life, remembering why she started the program in the first place: to find her passion, create her dreams, and fulfill them. It dawned on her then, while still tentative at the vision, when thinking around her pursuits to open up an art studio, building platforms for people with disabilities to showcase their talents or local youth more exposure to educational activities, stowed away long before they were forgotten in past frustrations.

Kara took a deep breath and decided to put herself out there; she reached out to everyone she knew, asking for advice, guidance, or connections that could help her achieve her goals. She researched and networked tirelessly, putting in long hours after work to make things happen. And with time, she found the courage to take action.

She quit her old job and started teaching art classes at a local community center. She used her savings to rent out a small space downtown and turned it into her dream studio. She organized workshops and events for people with disabilities and partnered with schools to provide educational programs for children. Kara was finally living a life full of meaning and purpose.

Rob moved away, but they stayed in touch, keeping each other updated on their lives. He watched as Kara transformed from a woman stuck in a rut to a confident and ambitious entrepreneur. He had always known there was more to her than what met the eye, and he felt proud to see her flourish.

Kara never forgot about Fresh Start and how it helped her rediscover herself. One day, she decided to pay a visit to the company's headquarters, which were located in another city. She wanted to thank them for giving her the push she needed to turn her life around.

As she walked through the doors, Kara couldn't believe what she saw. The startup that once promised to revolutionize the world had now expanded into a global enterprise, with hundreds of employees working towards the same goal: helping people reach their fullest potential.

And then something amazing happened; it turned out they had been following Kara’s journey since completing the program. They had watched as she had taken charge of her life, overcome obstacles, and changed not only her own fate but those of others around her.

The CEO hugged Kara, telling her how much they admired her resilience and determination. “We need people like you,” they said, “people who don't give up when faced with challenges and believe that anything is possible.”

It was at that moment that Kara realized that the seeds of greatness have always been within her. All those opportunities that she thought were out of reach were only a decision away from being realized.

Kara returned home, grateful for the journey that brought her to where she was now. She knew there would be more challenges in life ahead, but she embraced them with open arms because now she knew that anything truly is possible, and it all starts with taking one step toward change.

April 01, 2023 22:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Joe Smallwood
17:11 Apr 15, 2023

Hello Deborah, My first comment on Reedsy. Here goes (yikes) I found your story interesting. I never knew that there was such a thing as life coaching. So that was an interesting read. I found your style of writing easy to follow. I don't know about you but some stories I read throw too much at the reader and they are hard to follow. Yours is not one of them, so that's a definite plus. If someone comments on one of my stories I would like to have a "next step" and not just have good things said about what I write. I don't know if you feel t...

Reply

Deborah Cabral
18:39 Apr 15, 2023

I really appreciate your feedback and thank you. I am glad you love my short stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.