0 comments

General

     My family’s past history was pretty rich. We always had this ballroom in our mansion. It has been here for over 200 years. My past family members had always held this ballroom dance for everyone in the city of London. It was a special time of year. It was such a beautiful time too. Everyone gathered around to dance and have fun. This year was going to be different though. I was the head of planning the ballroom dance.

I had never in my life danced like the past

People in the ballroom. And I had no clue where to begin. I had been practicing for months and I still had no idea how to dance. I tried many ideas and no matter how hard I tried it was never going to be the same. I knew I had to do this or else it would paint a bad reputation for our family. I especially didn’t want to let down mother. She had just passed away and I knew that the ballroom dance was something she would have wanted me to do. I kept practicing over and over but no matter how hard I tried it just wasn’t in me. I knew that if I had failed to make everyone and everything happy and neat it was going to be a disappointment. Not just for me but for everyone.

        The day of the ballroom dance was today. I had to quickly get everything ready for that night. As I was practicing, I had this thought popped up in my head. What if I didn’t have to dance? What if the dance was for fun and not just for popularity? I thought all day about those questions. Until the night of the dance.

      Everyone looked beautiful with the fancy colors and costumes. I looked at my own outfit and knew it wasn’t my best pick. I ran into some old friends but I knew deep down inside it they weren’t actual friends. They just wanted to be popular. Like I had been worried about. I sat by the window side. What if this dance is nothing but seeing how rich other people are? And how popular they can be? I went back to the ballroom. That’s when my mother's song had come on. She had danced to this very song. It was such a classic. It was such a beautiful dance. 

       Little did I know I was dancing to the beat of the music. It was like everyone was staring at me. I didn’t care. Dancing was fun. As long as you feel good about dancing it was easy! I knew deep in my heart. I had discovered a new hobby. Dancing to my heart's content!

November 08, 2019 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.