4 comments

Horror Drama Teens & Young Adult


        It was so terribly cold. Snow was falling, and it was almost dark. Dad called home for he knew mom would be worried about the weather and she was thrilled to hear his voice. “How has your week been, honey?” Dad asked. 

   “Oh, Sylvester, I’m so worried about you driving on those icy roads! 

   “Relax, I’m fine and I’ll be home later tonight.” 

  “Thank God! I must tell you I’m concerned about Karina. She had another crying fit.”

      Mom told Dad about Karina’s overnight party with her girlfriends. She explained how she was distraught with fear at the chance that Mom would not allow her to go. Mom did as she had promised Karina and said nothing to him about the profanity she began using.  Karina's recent behavior is totally out of character.

     “Crying fit? Another one, over something like that?” Dad asked. “That girl has got to get a hold of herself. Henry didn’t see all of this, did he?”

    I heard it, indeed, but I wish I hadn’t. 

     “I sent him to his room, but he heard it, but he’s ok. My main worry is Karina. I spoke to the girl’s mother, who is having the party, and she and her husband will be there and make sure all the girls don’t stay up all night. She said I could be there too if I wanted to.  I think it will be suitable for Karina. She needs to start having fun and see what the new community has to offer.

     “I’m going to talk to her this weekend and see what’s going on with her. She should be adjusting to our move here and the new school.”

     “We should look for a new dog. It’s traumatized her so much seeing Ramesses get run over. I think she has had bad dreams about that, but she’ll not tell me too much.”

     “We’ll see. I’ll be home before midnight, I hope.”

     Mom dragged me along that Friday afternoon to Angie’s house. Karina seemingly overcame her emotional outburst and was anxious about a fun night with her new girlfriends. Next to me in the back seat were apple pie, potato chips, and tuna sandwiches to offer as a contribution to my sister’s pajama party, or whatever they wanted to call it. We were greeted warmly by Angie’s Mother, Judy, who gave my mom assurance of Karina’s safety. She again invited us to stay the evening until the girls would finally wear themselves out. Mom said we could wait a short time because we expected Dad to return home after working and on the road all week. 

      About eight girls were there, including Angie and Karina. Lucy, Julie, Lynn, Anne, Wanda, and Teresa were also there.  All brought a variety of snacks. In addition to the sandwiches that Angie and Karina provided, there was also pigs-in-a-blanket, onion dip, cookies, and ice cream.  They wasted little time cranking up the Magnavox stereo. Records and albums for that year in 1965 by The Animals, Herman’s Hermits, The Beach Boys, Tom Jones, Napoleon the Sham, The Byrds, and The Moody Blues played while the girls danced and laughed. They had plans to do crazy makeovers, play some board games, spin the bottle, and do cup stacking as the night wore on. It was almost eight o’clock when the doorbell rang. When Angie opened the front door, Phoenix stood nervously with Ted and Johnny, two of his buddies. Phoenix and Karina, embraced as if they were long-lost lovers. Ted talked to Angie, and Johnny made eye contact with Lucy. All were dancing and talking. 

    “Angie, the boys will have to leave by ten o’clock. House rules!” Judy announced to her daughter when she entered the room. “You boys are invited to eat before you go. We have plenty, but you must leave us by ten, ok?”.

     “There’s no school tomorrow! Please, Momma, let them stay until eleven,” Angie protested.

     “Now, I’ve talked to your friend’s parents, and all of them agreed with the boys being here, but they all also agreed that they should be gone by ten. Case closed.”

     “Can I see you tomorrow, Karina?”  Phoenix asked.

     Considering her earlier outburst, Karina was doubtful that she could go out with Phoenix in front of Mom earlier. Besides, Dad will be coming home tonight and want us all to be together tomorrow. “I’ll ask,” she replied. 

     “I’ll see you Sunday morning, at church at least?”

     “I look forward to it, Phoenix.”

      After the boys left, the girls had a game of spin the bottle and talking about old and new crushes. Then, they started rating all the other students they knew at school.  One girl turned the television on and an old movie about witches. It was hung low, and they flipped the lights off to scare each other with horror stories. 

     “Did anyone see the newspaper article about the bell witch?” Julie asked everyone. “It’s a true story that happened over a hundred years ago. A family was haunted by a witch!”

     “I read it, but I don’t believe it.” laughed Lynn.

     “I heard about it, “Lynn added. I heard that some people have stood in front of a mirror and closed their eyes, spun around three times, while repeating, “I believe in the bell witch,” and a witch appeared in the mirror!”

     “Let’s try it!” said Angie.

     “That’s too scary,” said Lucy.

     “Oh, come on,” Angie insisted. “I’ll go first.”

     “I think it’ll be fun,” Annie finally joined in. “You do it first, Angie, then I’ll go next. We’ll all take turns!”

     All the girls congregated in the bathroom that was larger than most. So that all could fit in, two stood in the bathtub to observe Angie, who stood in front of the mirror. For effects, she lit a candle on the sink and turned off the ceiling light before the game summoned the bell witch.

     “Remember to close your eyes, spin around three times while repeating, I believe in the bell witch.” Lynn reminded Angie.

     Angie closed her eyes and slowly turned while repeating, “I believe in the bell, witch.” She turned slowly again and once more repeated, “I believe in the bell witch.” One last time, she repeated, “I believe in the bell witch,” while turning a complete turn. She opened her eyes and saw her image in the mirror as all the girls giggled. 

     “Annie? You’re next,” said Angie, laughing.

     Annie stood nervously in front of the mirror, closed her eyes, and repeated the words, “I believe in the bell witch.” each of the three times she turned. Then Wanda was next, but she and Annie saw nothing but their own image and the reflection of the other girls who were observing.  Lucy, Julie, and Lynn followed. Each was repeating the words while turning three times with the same results. Teresa’s overactive imagination got the best of her, so she backed away and flatly refused to participate. This left Karina, who was inwardly overwhelmed with fright and would rather have a needle stuck in her eye than take part in the séance. However, she struggled to regain her once superior social standing among peer groups. Her mind had wandered back to the time when she radiated confidence.

     “Karina? Karina? Are you there?” asked Angie.  Karina pulled her mind to the present moment. “You were a million miles away!” The others were laughing, but she said nothing and stood in front of the mirror.

      Karina closed her eyes, and after several seconds, the other girls coaxed her to turn and repeat the chant. She turned clockwise slowly and said, “I believe in the bell, witch.”  She turned again. “I believe in the bell witch.”  She turned for the third and final time. “I b-b-believe in the bell witch.”

       She opened her eyes. In the reflection was an image, not of herself. The eyes were blood red and piercing into Karina’s with contempt. The skin is covered with blisters, deep wrinkles, and the color of death. The image in the reflection, where Karina should have been, had long white hair that was floating. It extended its hand that penetrated the mirror as if it intended to touch her. The image opened its mouth that showed dozens of long and pointed teeth. The words that it spoke haunted Karina until the day she died. It was as if two voices from hell were speaking in unison.  It said, “take my hand, Karina, and come with me.” 

     Karina extended her hand out of unspeakable fear about what could happen if she disobeyed the commandment. Angie grabbed her and shouted, “what’s wrong, Karina!” The other girls trembled at Karina’s bloodcurdling screams.  

     It was harmless fun for young teens with their whole lives ahead of them. For Karina, it was the beginning of a nightmare and a lifetime of therapy triggered by hidden psychosis.   


March 15, 2023 20:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ginger Edin
01:52 Mar 23, 2023

unclear at the beginning whether dad was home or the one driving; not sure where Henry was, or how it switches to first person - is that Henry? story could have started when they arrived at the party, the beginning with driving in the car seemed peripheral; great description of the girl slumber party and telling scary stories - felt very real and scary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
14:57 Mar 18, 2023

Who was 'me' that mom drug along and then took over the telling? Henry? that shouldn't have witnessed Karina crying over being afraid of not being allowed to go to a party? Seemed somewhat disjointed to me. Why were the boys allowed to crash the party at all? Otherwise the witch story was spooky and it is sad the girl had life-long problems because of it. Do understand difficulty fitting in with new school.and friends. Been there done that.

Reply

Bernie Rhodes
19:50 Mar 18, 2023

Oops! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:59 Mar 16, 2023

Bernie that will give me nightmares! I felt it warmed up nicely as the story progressed and went from the tuna sandwiches to aaaaarrh! Thanks for writing and sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.